Radio/com gremlins - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:09 pm Thread Starter

Question Radio/com gremlins

Since about March, my left headset speaker has been going off and on, intermittently. It has become more and more frequent, until now it's off most of the time. When the left channel is not working, the right speaker is muffled, but when it decides to work both speakers are clear. I've wiggled every wire and connection I can find and banged on the stingray. It doesn't seem to matter. I have noticed that increasing and decreasing the radio volume seem to make it pop back on (but not every time), but recently it only comes on for a minute or two then goes back off.

The same thing happens when my headset is connected to the rear jack, as well. However, the four external speakers always work, even when the left headset speaker is not working. I don't have another headset, so I can't verify that the short is not in my headset, but do not believe that it is, as the right speaker is slightly muffled until both are working, then everything is fine. I taken the headset out of my helmet several time and the wiring looks fine.

When I had the bike apart for the 24K service several weeks ago, I checked every connection and greased them all with Dielectric grease. Did not help. I did not take the sealed radio unit apart, however.

It seems to me that I must have a short in the com system. The GPS and cellphone work normally through the right headset speaker. My bike is a 2002 LTE and everything came with the bike and was installed by BMW.

Can any of you Electrical engineers, com wizards, or magicians help? I have the extended warranty from Bob's BMW, so maybe this just might be covered by the extended warranty. I've have to go back and read the policy. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 3:23 pm

Radio

My radio is doing just about the same thing. Although I do not use a com system, the external speakers work about 5 seconds when first turned on, then all go out except the left front speaker. Not enough audio to cover wind noise. Can only hear at a stop. I also took the radio out and checked and wiggled all of the connections. Same thing. I did notice that when disconnected the front speakers, then the rear speakers would work. But, not all at the same time. So, my guess is that a diode in the audio amp in the radio is out. Or some component of the audio amp has gone south. I am looking for a used radio to replace this one. Beemer Bone Yard has had some, but they sell as soon as they are listed. Now that we are in a throw away society, there are no radio and tv repair shops around anymore.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 3:43 pm

Dick,
Did you take the connectors behind the radio apart? You need to actually pull the radio out of the stingray housing. If not, try the hand tapping on the bmw roundel when the problem happens. See if this clears the sound for a few minutes. If that does not work, try the connectors behind the rear seat. In either case, good luck!

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 1:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrevelino
Dick,
Did you take the connectors behind the radio apart? You need to actually pull the radio out of the stingray housing. If not, try the hand tapping on the bmw roundel when the problem happens. See if this clears the sound for a few minutes. If that does not work, try the connectors behind the rear seat. In either case, good luck!

Thanks Mike. No I didn't take the stingray apart because it might be covered by extended warranty and I wanted to see if it is covered before doing anything else which might void the warranty. Banging on the stingray has done nothing to help. The only thing that helps if turning the volume up and down. It will pop on for awhile then go back off. It only affects my left headset speaker. All four speakers on the bike work fine.

I talked with the service department at BMW Atlanta and he felt it was probably a bad speaker in the headset. He suggested I switch the speakers in the helmet to check them. I haven't had time to do that, yet. I have a friend with an LT here in Columbus and I think I'll try my headset on his bike before I take anything else apart. If the left headset speaker doesn't work on his bike then I'll know it's a bad speaker in my helmet or in the wiring in the helmet. If that's not the case, then I'll have to take it to BMW Atlanta, about 120 miles away.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in