Power Outlet Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Power Outlet Question

I was wondering if I should wire an outlet straight from the battery to run my heated clothing, or use the power outlet BMW provides. I believe the outlet down by the drivers left foot is rated at 15 amps, and this is shared with the radio and some other small things. I don't often wear all my heated clothes at once, but if I needed to, I'd like to be prepared. If the jacket is 77 watts, pants 45 watts, and gloves 22 watts.......that's about 144 watts total. In the event I need to run the items at full on, can this outlet handle it?
As an alternative, I thought about disconnecting the powered wire BMW sends to that outlet, protecting it from weather, abuse etc, and running a dedicated fused power wire down to that outlet straight from the battery. Any opinions and guidance is appreciated, thanks. d.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:38 am

power outlet

I use the power out lets for the electric jacket -no problems

also i pug the battery tender in there
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:57 am

Hey, Don -

You prolly already know this, butt there is another available female socket on the right side of the bike, opposite of the left socket. The right side socket is zip-tied to the frame rail and just requires drilling out a hole in the lower fairing piece at the obvious vertical, flat molded site, and installing such as a Powerlet connector receptacle to fit the opening and secure it to the socket. I "think" it's ignition switched, so it's hot only when the ignition is on, like the pillion outlet on the trunk - better verify that if you go this route, tho. Might be some info on it in the HOW pages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwillie
I was wondering if I should wire an outlet straight from the battery to run my heated clothing, or use the power outlet BMW provides. I believe the outlet down by the drivers left foot is rated at 15 amps, and this is shared with the radio and some other small things. I don't often wear all my heated clothes at once, but if I needed to, I'd like to be prepared. If the jacket is 77 watts, pants 45 watts, and gloves 22 watts.......that's about 144 watts total. In the event I need to run the items at full on, can this outlet handle it?
As an alternative, I thought about disconnecting the powered wire BMW sends to that outlet, protecting it from weather, abuse etc, and running a dedicated fused power wire down to that outlet straight from the battery. Any opinions and guidance is appreciated, thanks. d.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the information Dick. I did not know power was available on the left side too. I saw the flattened area where a plug would fit nicely, but didn't know power was already there. Thanks all for the suggestions, and the personal messages. d.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:43 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Watts = Amps X Volts. Assuming a nominal 12V, you're looking at 12 Amps. You're probably closer to 13V while running, which makes around 11 Amps. Either way, the stock output plug will handle that just fine.

Also, if you get a proper switching controller (HeatTroller for example) then it will draw only as much power as it needs to supply the heat you request. So turning it on halfway will use much less power than full on. They also make dual controllers that let you set different temps for jacket and pants, of jacket and gloves, etc.

These controllers can be plugged in to a standard BMW Powerlet socket, or hard wired to the bike. I wired mine to the battery through a relay that shuts off when the forks are locked. That way it will never drain the battery if I forget to turn it off. Works great.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the information. I do have a HeatToller and it works well. To keep things simple for now, I'll try using the existing outlet. I'll test it out on a nice ride this weekend. Wish I was going to CCR!! Maybe next year. d.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 10:40 am

Thanks Dick, I didn't know about that hidden power outlet either!

Knowledge is power!
And knowing is half the battle...
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:11 pm

Smile Socket power

The stock socket outlet wires are way to small (about 20 gauge, I think). The immediate problem is reduced heat from your electric clothes, and too hot wires. Replace the wires with your own 16 ga. circuit direct from the battery and enjoy much more heat from your electric garments when full on!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in