ME 880 Tread Separation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:57 pm Thread Starter

Red face ME 880 Tread Separation

2001 K1200LT, Front tire, 18,ooo mi with lots of tread remaining, no wear markers showing, no cupping, always run 42 PSI and check every time I ride. The bike is so smooth any strange vibration is immediately noticeable. Today while riding I felt a little vibration while riding below 50 mph. Vibration almost unnoticeable above 50 mph. I thought it was road surface vibration at first and then tested feeling through handlebars by very lightly resting hands on grips and could feel the vibration more when letting loose. I decided to stop and check things over. I thought it might be the start of a rear end failure, but suspected a tire malady because the vibration seemed to be related to tire rotation speed. I put the beast on the center stand and checked the front tire first. I pulled the tire through 360 degrees of rotation using the wheel spokes - and found a big lump in the center of the tread about five inches long and two inches wide. I suspect this problem was caused by me hitting a rock in the road on a previous ride. When I checked the tire pressure this morning before riding I inadvertently put in a few extra pounds attempting to add a couple pounds. I believe the extra pressure made the weak spot, where the tire hit the rock, more pronounced. The area of the bulge also has a horizontal split about two inches wide in the center of the tire tread - probably from the rock strike. I decided not to continue the ride - rode home on the back of a Road Star, about 25 miles, and retrieved my trailer to haul the cripple home. I believe this is a positive testimony for the strength of the ME 880 carcus. I probably rode on that weak tire for 50 miles at speeds up to 75 mph. The strange vibration gave me enough warning to stop and check out the situation before experiencing a total tire failure. I believe I will now do a more thorough check of my tires in addition to the pressure check before each ride. I will be replacing the failed tire with another ME 880. The worst part of this experience was the ride on the back of that Road Star - I pitty the guys wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:34 am
Ted

Thanks for sharing - it's nice to know the 880's didn't let go. Just curious - how old were they?

I like the 880's - on my 3rd set. You made me laugh though, with "18,ooo mi with lots of tread remaining". I'd say you got your money's worth!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 1:28 am Thread Starter

ME 880 Tread Separation

Correction on the tire mileage - just reaccounted and found that the tire had closer to 15,000 miles wear. The bike has 35,000 miles total ,last rear (3rd) changed at 30,000 miles, this is the second front which was changed at about 20,000 miles. I do get great wear from the MEs . I buy them in pairs but change as required. Have the 3rd front (new) sitting in my garage. Will do the front wheel removal tomorrow and have the new tire mounted and balanced at a local motorcycle tire dealer in Phoenix. The failed tire was at least two years old.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:06 am

tires, tires, tires

I had a similar "bubble" on a rear ME880 a couple of years ago,
spotted it as I was getting of my bike in my parents driveway, a hundred miles from home.
Left there in ma's minivan with my rear wheel and came back a day later.
The tire was nearing the end of its usefull life and was going to be replaced soon anyway.
This was the first defect I've had with a Metzler
and considering I've done most of my 300 thousand BMW miles on Metzlers,
I ain't complaining.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #5 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 5:34 pm

Re: ME 880 Tread Separation

I just noticed a similar bubble on my rear Metzler tire. I believe the tire has about 10,000 miles on it. I need to get it replaced ASAP. It's great riding weather here in Phoenix!
post #6 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 5:49 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Without regard to brand of tire - this bodes well to regularly inspect your rubber!! I used to check my tire pressure every day before a ride. Along with that I would give the tread a once over inspection. Then I installed a TPM system and I stopped doing those inspections every day since I would know what the pressure was as soon as I started riding.

I too found a bubble a while back on an old front tire just as I was getting ready to replace it. I have since started the daily inspections again, it is just worth it and too risky to not do it!

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 11 Old Mar 11th, 2012, 8:05 pm

Question Re: ME 880 Tread Separation

Hey jzeiler, this is the first I've heard of a TPM for the bike. Can you post some more details please.

Rich
2014 K1600GTL Exclusive
2002 K1200LT
1988 Honda Hurricane 1000 (sold 1990)
1986 Honda Nighthawk S (sold 1988)
1985 Honda Interceptor 500 (sold 1987)
post #8 of 11 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 8:33 am

I believe that Kissan offers a unit for any model bike.

kk610lt
2007 K 1200 LT
2004 R 1150 GS Adventure
2002 K 1200 LT (totaled by a SUV 10-7-08)
1988 Concours
Why do bullets bounce off of Superman, but he ducks when you throw a gun at him?
post #9 of 11 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 11:21 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlamar2398
Hey jzeiler, this is the first I've heard of a TPM for the bike. Can you post some more details please.
I installed a Smartire system some years ago. They no longer make them for bikes and cars but they do pop up on Fleabay from time to time. There are several aftermarket units out there.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 11 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 1:03 pm

I had this same thing happen on the ME880 I had on the front of my bike (Aug/Sep of last year). This was the tire on the bike when I bought it last June. The bike had 63,000+ miles on it but I'm not sure how many miles were on the tire but I could tell it was close to being "used up."

Like budman stated that he felt a vibration, I had the same experience. I had my wife with my on the bike on the freeway doing 65 mph when all of a sudden there was a uneasy feeling vibration in the bike. I noticed it changed with speed so I suspected something with the tire. When I got the bike over on the side of the road I found a large bulge on the front tire. It was very hot when I first felt it and very spongy. As it cooled down it shrank and got stiffer (less spongy).

I had ME880's on my 2006 VTX and when I bought this 2001 K1200LT but after some research decided to go with the Avon Storm Ultra 2's both on the front and rear and am very happy with them so far. I think the bike rides softer and can tell the grip is better than the ME880's. I'll just have to see how much mileage I can get out of these compared to the ME880's.

Troy

2001 K1200LT-I
75,000+ miles
Grip Puppies
RAM mount for iPhone
RAM mount cupholder
DODK64 Floorboards (driver & passenger)
Alaska Leathers Sheepskin covers
Avon Storm II Ultras
ScalaRider G4 Powerset
NGK Iridium IX DCPR7EIX spark plugs
Spiegler SS Brake lines (fronts only installed so far)
Creative Concepts extended rear brake pedal
post #11 of 11 Old Mar 12th, 2012, 1:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestrider
<...>Avon Storm Ultra 2's both on the front and rear and am very happy with them so far. I think the bike rides softer and can tell the grip is better than the ME880's. I'll just have to see how much mileage I can get out of these compared to the ME880's.
If your Storms get half the life of the ME880s, I would be surprised.

The storms I had rode great, but I had a failure with one of those a few years back. Can happen to any tire.

I have the BT020s on my '05 now, but expect will be back to the ME880s next pair swap.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in