Done Deal! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 9:50 pm Thread Starter

Smile Done Deal!

After months of shopping and deliberating ie procrastinating I finally did the deal and stepped up! Almost new 06 LT is now sitting in my garage next to my old (relatively) Volusia.

Seems almost insignificant when said that way so let me expand. I joined this forum in the spring as part of my research into the mysterious world of the LT. I became entranced by the bike and the community of avid, nay crazy, supporters of the beast. Concurrently, Lynda and I checked out the contenders and arrived at the conclusion that the LT was it for us.

The quest is on! Months of lurking, ebaying and shopping lead to a strong possibility - an 06 with 1300 miles showed up on eBay. I made my bid and lost. Despair and relief are a curious mix but disappointment was the ultimate
emotion. Imagine my surprise when I learned that the winning bidder bailed and the bike could now be mine.

Mike and I traded many emails and phone calls - he deserves a medal - until I finally stepped up. Last week, I had my Bank wire the cash and the bike is MINE!!

Oh, small problem - LT is in Maryville, TN and Geoff is in Ontario, Canada. No biggy, fly down, pick up bike, ride home. NOOOO WAY! Lynda is having nightmares of Geoff and Mike falling off the Dragon never to be seen again.

OK - what is the answer? Geoff and Lynda drive to TN, meet Mike, play on the Dragon and Geoff rides back to Ontario with Lynda watching my back. Good plan except IT RAINS! We got to Tennessee Sunday before last in the thick of a downpour. Every time I thought I could saddle up, it got heavier and to top it off, the LT has Metzlers. Way too much tension for this chicken so no Dragon this year. What could we do? CHILI'S for Margueritas!!

Monday - better weather so no more excuses - get on and ride. Picked the bike up at Smoky Mountain Harley Davidson - BIG shout for Shane and the guys!! This is a dealer that gets it - great people and great service - go there if you are in the neighbourhood. So what if they have the wrong brand!!

After a few circuits of the parking lot to get the feel of the beast, it is time to hit the road - no fear, no excuses, just do it, just ride it and so on. Are you kidding! I'm scared s***less! This sucker is Huge and fast and heavy! OK, I can do this; it is just a bike!

Wow, I can do this! What a great ride! Comfy, agile, fast, smooth - pick an adjective -this is a marvelous machine!

We head North - I75 all the way until we stop at Lima, OH on Monday night. Tuesday morning, it is 55 degrees heading up to 80 or so. The liner in my Cyclesport jacket earns it's keep as do the heated grips, heated seats and adjustable windshield. By noon, I don't need any of them but nice to have.

Bluewater Bridge - it's 2 pm and we now get to experience the undefended border! Not a big deal and by 3 pm we are on the last leg home.

5 pm - home again!! What a blast! 800 miles in 2 days - a record for me (but trivial for some of you) and the beginning of a whole new set of learning experiences and curves for me.

Thank you to all of you who have unconsciously and unwittingly contributed to my adventure - I could not have done it without you! I will have many questions in the days ahead and hopefully some contributions to make. I do know that this group will respond and help as needed.

I think I bought the LT as much for the camaraderie of this forum as for the bike itself. Both are awesome!

Geoff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 9:57 pm

Congrats Geoff, enjoy the ride. I just got mine a couple of months ago and love it. Fire away on the questions, these guys know it all. Or at least some of them think they do.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #3 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 9:58 pm

Smile

Nice write up Geoff. What can we say, Ride and Enjoy..

post #4 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Geoff ...Cool write up. Enjoy the last couple of months you have riding before winter sets in !!

Nelson
99 K1200LT
post #5 of 14 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:33 pm

Wow, Geoff. Another great post by a brand new owner of a new-to-them LT. I get such a kick outta readin' thangs written by folks with ear-to-ear grins. Takes me back to when I bought ole Toad --- some thangs ya just don't forget.

Glad your trip home wuz such a good one. Nice break in ride for you and an opportunity for your LT to see a change of scenery. It's gonna like it in Canada, I betcha!!

Ride safe, Geoff. Thanks to you also, for sharing your experience. We'll be lookin' for your posts - questions or contributions - we like 'em all.
post #6 of 14 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 1:16 am

Welcome to the *Cult* !!

Your trip sounds alot like mine to pick up my 05 with only a few hundred miles on it , only my trip and first ride was only 670 miles home in 20 - low 30 degree snow and rain home to Spokane from the Oregon Coast in the middle of winter!! Made real use of that Heated Vest,Grips and Saddle and played with the power shield endlessly about as much as the 6 CD player and GPS!

Now 8000 miles and a new Russell seat & Ottoman pegs Later I am having a Grand Time and have just about everything all sorted out except that last set of auxilary lights to install..

The LT gets faster and lighter the more I ride it!!
Good luck with your 06

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #7 of 14 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 6:26 am

Great write-up, congrats on the bike, it'll just keep getting better. Can't think of a better way to get a bike than buy one several hundred miles away and ride it home. Fun out the door.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"
post #8 of 14 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 1:28 pm

Thumbs up Welcome

Welcome....................I can tell you that even just 150 mile ride home made a big grin on my face.

You had an excellent right up!!!!!!!

The folks above are right. It only gets better the more you ride.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #9 of 14 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Welcom

Welcome
great write up.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #10 of 14 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:26 pm

Man, sounds way familiar - way to go!!

I flew out to Indianapolis - rode my 'new to me' LT home over 2 days as well. First time I rode it was out of this guys garage and into the rain. I didn't know there was a problem with the Metzlers at that time. And, uh - well - after having put over 15K miles on 'er, still don't *know* there is First ride in the rain. It rained all the way to Des Moines. Then snow in Nebraska and Wyoming.

These really are amazing machines. In full perspective - the foibles are really pretty minor. (well, unless that 'foible' is what just parked your butt on the side of the road mid-run. But, could happen with most any machine)

"Ride it like ya stole it!"

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #11 of 14 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 7:28 am Thread Starter

The ride home was great and I am looking forward to many more miles. The foibles are indeed minor and I am sure that as time goes buy, we newbies will all wonder what we worried about.

My bike has some of the "character" described by others - the brakes squeal occasionally, it shudders with resulting chatter from the tupperware when I launch from a start - but, man, is it ever a great ride! I have yet to really explore the performance but have tried a few shifts in the 5 - 6 K range - what a rush!

My only disappointments from the whole experience were that the timing of delivery was off by a week so I couldn't make my first trip a visit to CCR and the heavy rain on Sunday that washed out a planned afternoon at Deal's Gap.

As soon as I get the final paperwork cleaned up making it fully Canadian, hopefully this week, there will be more stories to share and questions to ask. Got to take advantage of the best season in the world - a Southern Ontario fall!
post #12 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 8:08 pm

Re: Done Deal!

Hi Geoff!
I can relate as I just picked up my 06 LT with less than 5K miles from a chap living in the Washington state. We made the deal over the phone and exchanged the documents which I had to email to the US border patrol about two weeks ago, I went to Seattle to pick up the bike. I have driven a 89 Venture (Yamaha) touring bike for the last 17 years, and found the ride home on the bmw a great experience. Had to get used to the high revving bmw engine and the ABS brakes and many of the other great features. The more I ride the better I like it. There is a bit of buzz at certain rpm from the plastic, or tupperware as many call it. I do love the electric certerstand and the electric windshield. Drove from Seattle, to Vancouver, then 2 days later drove home to Kelowna. Got all the paperwork together within a week and now I am good to go. The only downside is the $560.00 extortion fee from BMW for their recall letter. By the way, there is a class action lawsuit against BMW and Mercedes, also Transport Canada and Canada border services agency who have violated competition and consumer protection laws by forcing Canadians to pay excessive fees for unnecessary vehicle modifications and approvals when they imported cars from the USA.
For further information you can contact Brian Osler, barrister, soliciter, and notary public at email [email protected]
Take care.
enjoy your new ride.
Jim
post #13 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 8:15 pm

Good for You Geoff!!

I flew from Minnesota to Colorado and picked my '02 up. Had a great 2 day ride home! Still can't get the smile off my face!

Bob Thede
'02 K1200 LT-Blackie II

'97 BMW Z3-SO's
BMWMOA #135792

CCR-'08

'62 Fender Jazz Bass-played often!
post #14 of 14 Old Jul 20th, 2008, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Hey Guys! That was 2 years ago and I am still enthralled with the bike. If you check other theads, you will learn that the FIRST LT died in a fire last April (07) but has been replaced with an 05 - same colour, more farkles.

Just complete the Ontario ERC (read M2 exit course) this week-end on the beast - no real probs. The LT does not like parking lots but we survived. the road portion - another story! Examiner "you are a guy who likes speed!" Oops! This is a Government test - no speeding allowed! Oh well, it was only temporary.

Glad you guys have joined the assylum - see you on the road!

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in