Had to be sure...bought a GL1800 AND the LT! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Had to be sure...bought a GL1800 AND the LT!

So I bought an '05 LT about 3 months ago and really love this machine! Well, except for slow speed handling. The worst. I have had 2 near drops in parking lots that I saved at the expense of my right elbow..so painful afterward that I had trouble lifting a glass of water for a few weeks. Also, I had the shift linkage break within 2 hours after I took delivery of the bike
(12,500mi) which didn't set well with me. I subsequently read here that many of you carry spare parts for this issue. Bottom line: I thought I would try a Wing and do my own head-to-head. I bought an '02 with 6k mi and a ton of x-tras. I put 200mi. since Saturday and here are my first impressions:

Where's the swith for the electric windshield?
What! No power center stand?
Great, smooth power off the line!
Audio, CB, intercom very well integrated. Excellent controls.
Saddle is less constricting than the LT.
Lower center of greater makes the GL easier to ride at slow (sub 5mph) speeds.
Both perform well at freeway speeds...but LT cruise control is easier to use
and seems more accurate.
LT is probably more nimble in the twisties...but I don't ride aggressively and this is less an issue for me than it might be for some of you.
Much better gas mileage on the LT
Comfort? I put a peg lowering kit on the LT, which helped a great deal. The Wing is fine, as is, but both are satisfactory.
I like the fold down antennas! Would like that for my LT.
The saddlebag locking system seems more positive on the LT. I'm never quite sure the Wing cases are completely closed. (guess that's why they have an indicator on the LCD display to let you know)
Superior front/rear lighting on the Wing.
Better brakes on the LT (although a little "grabby" at slow speed compared to the Wing)
Styling? Beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. I'll leave it at that.

I really get a kick out of riding BOTH bikes! I don't think the issue for me is which is better....I just want to find out which is better for ME! And that's why I decided to buy the Wing....I need to drive both for a few months and make that determination for myself. This is gonna' be fun!!

Last edited by flyby; Aug 28th, 2006 at 11:17 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:42 pm

I'm looking forward to hearing more about your GL/LT comparison. I ride a 2002 K1200LT and am seriously considering a 2007 GoldWing for the better traffic handling, better lighting, better stereo, and vastly better GPS. My rides are typically solo, around 1,000 - 1,500 miles a weekend, and in new territory (hence the GPS). Thanks for your post.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 11:38 pm

When you say vastly better GPS are you refering to the new GPS integrated into the dash of the Honda? If you are then you better do some investigating, I don't think so. My riding partner just bought a fully loaded 06' and the GPS sucks, nice big screen but no 3D view, no multiple routes, no touch screen, pain in the but to use the keyboard (slow), he also has a Iway 500 which he likes alot better, my 2610 and 2720 are faster to use and I would not trade them for the Wings GPS. He is going to mount the Iway and use it on the Wing.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 12:59 am

Smile

To each their own and I have owned 2 Wings and 6 HD Dressers.
I could not wait to get off my buddy's 04 Gl1800 and back onto my LT when he nagged me to get a ride on my VromHilda :^)

*Nothing talked to me like this 05 LT.

Weight is a moot point now as I have no problems with it in 8000 Aggressive miles on lots of different road and parking challenges.

It is all about choice and thats what makes our country great!

I don't see myself on any other touring mount out there....

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #5 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 10:19 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog
I could not wait to get off my buddy's 04 Gl1800 and back onto my LT when he nagged me to get a ride on my VromHilda :^)

Weight is a moot point now as I have no problems with it in 8000 Aggressive miles on lots of different road and parking challenges.

Understand....and ultimately I might conclude the same...or not.
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 6:00 pm

A wing AND an LT... now THAT is my kind of problem! Good Luck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmctpdog

DITTO, ME TOO
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Only worse thing that could happen is to have to get 'paid' write an 1500 word article on your thoughts... poor guy!

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 9:18 pm

Lt. Way to go!

I'm a newbe to BMW's, started riding again after a 35 years layoff. You know,doing the family thing. My last ride was in 1964, rode a H/D XLCH I don't think it weighed over 200lbs. Every one told me to start out with something small till I got used to riding again. I had never ridden anything but a Harley, and thats what I wanted. So back in 1999, I picked up a 2000 Road King that every one said would be to big of a Bike to start out on. I remember picking it up from the Dealership, it felt so top heavy. I thought I made a big mistake. After riding it for half a day, everthing just started flowing again. Since 1999, I have had three Road kings and one Street Glide. I live in MA. I Road to Sturgis and back on all but the Street Glide. However, they all had mechanicle problems, cam Bearings,Rotors,Transmissions,cruise control the Dealerships did everything in there power to get out of doing the warranty work. So, when the Street Glide's Radio bit the dust, they told me I would have to bring the Bike into the shop so they could take it out and send it back to the factory for repair. Which meant a three week turn around during the riding season. I said, "see you later H/D," traded it in for a 06 Lt. It's like being born again!
post #10 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmatson
When you say vastly better GPS are you refering to the new GPS integrated into the dash of the Honda? If you are then you better do some investigating, I don't think so. My riding partner just bought a fully loaded 06' and the GPS sucks, nice big screen but no 3D view, no multiple routes, no touch screen, pain in the but to use the keyboard (slow), he also has a Iway 500 which he likes alot better, my 2610 and 2720 are faster to use and I would not trade them for the Wings GPS. He is going to mount the Iway and use it on the Wing.
Interesting comment about the Lowrance unit. I'd be interested in your evaluation of the lighting and sound comparison... two things that are important to me on "unofficial" solo iron butts. Many thanks.
post #11 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 9:12 am

I have been riding my LT for over 2 years now. It was big and heavy for me (still is), I dropped it and it takes alot of effort to move it around. BUT I LOVE IT and couldn't imagine trading it for anything else. I rode a new wing. It just didn't feel right for me. I actually feel more in control with the LT. Good luck in your decision. You may just choose to keep both !!!
post #12 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 12:29 pm

My friend has a wing, even he has said that the GPS on the wings sucks hard! Go buy a garmin Zumo and all your problems solved. Except if you bough a wing with that GPS. Then you just got screwed out of 2000 bucks for useless screen. Even the GPS in my moms honda accord sucks. Lets see, 2000 for the hard to use wing GPS or 675 dollars for a Zumo 550. Hmmmm, its a no brainer to me.
post #13 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 12:38 pm

Your personal comparo may result in you finding the perfect bike for you...but I have a feeling that won't be the case. I'll bet you'll find that the bike you ride last, is the bike that you'll like best.

Then again...the fact that you're not a very aggressive rider may tip your hand toward the Wing. And personally, I find no fault in that decision. The Gold Wing is a wonderful bike. No matter what anyone else might say!
post #14 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 12:41 pm

Brilliant minds think alike...

You know, I was in the same position, "do I get the new Ferrari 599 or the upgraded Lambo?"

horsepower to horsepower

handling to handling

review to review

finally said "ahhh, the hell with it" and bought one of each.

oops, time for my medication...

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #15 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 3:02 pm
was

Ha, Pete, that's funny. Flyby, I like your approach. However, don't forget the other touring/dual purpose bike options: R12RT, GS, GT, FJR, new Concours (if it ever comes out), HD Ultra Classic - the list goes on and on. While many of them may not have the same amenities as the LT, you really can't rule them out until you have given them the same opportunity to strut their stuff, no? May I suggest a stable of three at any one time? At the end of 3 or 6 months it is Survivor time: 2 have to leave. I'll pick them up and take them away. Then you get 2 more, and the beat goes on.
I'll send you my address and contact information so we can work out details.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #16 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 4:23 pm

Cool

Hey just ride the darn thing. Mine now has 49k and i don't carry any extra parts the only real problem have been tran seal leaking onto the clutch. The last time in at 36k had all trans seal and slave cylinder replaced.

This the best tour and sport bike combined out there i feel. I have owned Goldwings and lots of others and I'm just so happy with the LT. Every time I take her out for a spin or long trip the excitment never ends.
post #17 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 4:53 pm

That's one way of doing it! I guess I'm lucky, I tried a bunch and knew right off the LT was the class winner. I also like other styles of riding though so bought a GS to compliment the LT and get the best of both worlds. I almost bought an RT but it was too close to the LT.

Anyway, no electric windshield? How barbaric and mundane! But like you said, to each their own. Good luck with your search.
post #18 of 18 Old May 27th, 2007, 6:11 pm

I've owned both

I've owned both GW and the LT and FOR ME the LT is the right machine.
True:
I've been through three windshields to find one I liked.
I've replaced the seats (Corbin)
After 9,000 miles I'm not even aware of the top heaviness of the bike. Parking lot maneuvers are second nature.

Both bikes have some great features. "I" like the handling qualities of the LT but I don't think it's better than the GW. I talked to a guy called "Yellow Wolf" who rides a GW on the Dragon and shoots movies. I dare say he could wax the ass of most crotch rocket riders. My point is the bike has to fit the rider - like a pair of jeans. Some guys like a tight fit and others like more comfort. This doesn't make one better than the other. Every rider, on any bike, has to learn how to appreciate a bike's strong points and compensate for it's faults.

I don't think it's possible to say one bike is objectively better than the other, they are simply different. But in my case, I went from a GW-1800 to an LT and I couldn't be happier.

Smith
'05 Dark Graphite
Greensboro, NC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in