BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

So much fun

1K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  CoachA 
#1 ·
Thought I'd introduce myself. I recently purchased an '05 K1200LT with only 1600 miles.

Previous bike was a Harley Nightrod and before that I drove an F650 for about five years when I lived in the city.

The new ride is awesome. Never had a touring bike before and this thing is amazing. Already put 400 miles on it and can't wait for my first road trip later this summer. Currently the bike is 100% stock. I need to do some reading to see what stuff I can handle on my own.

Looking forward learning from the veteran owners.

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum.

Be sure to visit the forum named Technical files section, and HOW (Hall of Wisdom) also. HOW located in the tools dropdown under technical.

Ask any question that comes to mind there lots of folks that know some of the answers and a couple that know all the answers.:grin:

I am the former not the latter type.:surprise:

#8 ·
Thanks everyone for the great information and warm welcome.

I purchased the bike from a trusted dealer in WI. The previous owner bought it new and never got comfortable riding it. He had the bike serviced every year and the thing is spotless. I had them pull the Tupperware and show me everything before I bought it and it was incredibly clean.

I'm getting the fluids flushed next week and already had the final drive checked before purchasing it (I did some reading in this forum before making the purchase). I paid for a two year warranty which should help if anything major comes up.

I know these bikes have a tendency to want to take an asphalt nap as low speeds, but so far I haven't noticed it even with my wife on the back. I'm an amateur powerlifter and a big guy so maybe that's part of it. :wink:

I've got some more reading to do and will post some pics this week.

#6 ·
The K1200LT is a great bike just be prepared for her desire to take naps unexpectedly. Especially when you are coming to a stop. Being top heavy if the front wheel isn't straight the bike has a tendency to fall over, if it does, let it go as you won't be able to hold up 850 + pounds. That is what the tip over protection is for. Most people drop her at least once and there are good video's of the best way to pick her back up (heres one link:) other good tips on that video as well as some of the other ones on the sidebar. Also if the mirrors do not have tethers yet then then you might want to get that done as the mirrors are designed to pop off on any sharp impact. Good luck and enjoy the bike. Del

#7 ·
The pick up video is great!

I once was an HRCA member. I remember screwing around one bike week at the Honda Riders area when they did cool stuff and they were having Goldwing how to classes.
One of the classes was how to pick up a Goldwing alone.
I watched and learned... Would you believe a week later I used it picking up some old man's Goldwing?
I saw him and his wife struggling and rode over. I was on a Ducati in full race gear.
I asked them to move, lifted the bike and set the side stand. Then he asked me how I did it and please set the bike back down so he could try.
When I left, he knew how to pick up his wing if it ever falls again.

#9 ·
These bikes take a nap when you least expect it. The center of gravity will get past the point of no return and you'll need every bit of that power to keep her up. I had her in a tug of war once and just said the hell with it and let her take the nap. Welcome to the site and enjoy the bike.

#10 ·
Good luck with the new ride. Sounds like you may have gotten a great deal. I bought my 07 with 1100 miles on it and have loved putting on 25,000 miles over the past seven years. I recommend searching this site for the subjects your interested in and read, read, read as I have preemptively eliminated so many possible problems by learning from other members experiences. If you keep up the maintenance and treat these sophisticated machines with the respect they deserve they are awesome reliable touring bikes. Check out this post below which is from page 2 of these posts, it will give you an idea of things you may want to do and or add to your bike. Pay attention to the upgraded maintenance and preventative maintenance items as these should be your first priority.

Safe riding and welcome.:wave

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/133834-lt-farkles.html

#12 ·
Very nice and welcome to the forum! My rear end stopped complaining, once I replaced the stock seat. If you plan on doing any longer distance riding, a custom saddle is well worth it... :wave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.