quick release radio antenna - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

quick release radio antenna

Okay, I admit, I'm a po boy with an LT. SO my bike lives in the yard (for now) under a cover. Is there a quick release or fold-over joint for the radio antenna? I know I've seen the Gold Wing guys with this setup. I'd like to be able to cover hte WHOLE bike easily without having to get out tools to remove the antenna everytime I cover it up.

Thanks
Rando
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 2:47 pm

Garage
Check THIS and THIS post in the HoW.

Erwin

R1200GS Adventure LC 2018, Blackstorm/Schieferdunkel Matt/Achatgrau (Triple Black), in full options, BMW Navigator V

R1200GSA LC '18 <- R1200GSA LC '14 <- K1600GTL '12 <- R1200GS Adventure '09 <- K1200GT '07 <- K1200LT '05 <- K1200LT '99 <- K1100LT '95 <- K75RT '92
post #3 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
Okay, I admit, I'm a po boy with an LT. SO my bike lives in the yard (for now) under a cover. Is there a quick release or fold-over joint for the radio antenna? I know I've seen the Gold Wing guys with this setup. I'd like to be able to cover hte WHOLE bike easily without having to get out tools to remove the antenna everytime I cover it up.

Thanks
Rando
Many of us have put plastic grommets in the cover to allow the antenna to stick through when covered. Not as nice as a quick release fold down, but it works well. Also some have just bent the antenna over and tucked the end under the handlebar to cover the bike. I am not a fan of that because if someone pushes down on the antenna under the cover it can be damaged.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:11 pm Thread Starter

Not having looked for these items, what kind of plastic grommets? I use brass ones here at work all the time, but never had a call for plastic. From Lowes or Home depot I guess?? Rat Shack? I'll have a look and see and I'll check the bending under handlebar trick too.

This is mostly an "at home" thing anyway, like now, when the forecast is for rain for the rest of the week.

Thanks
Randy
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:30 pm

A plastic grommet would be nice, but if you can't find one, simply put a short slice in the cover and have an upholstery shop or shoe repair shop sew the slice like a button hole.
post #6 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:44 pm

Quote:
Not having looked for these items, what kind of plastic grommets? I use brass ones here at work all the time, but never had a call for plastic. From Lowes or Home depot I guess?? Rat Shack? I'll have a look and see and I'll check the bending under handlebar trick too.

This is mostly an "at home" thing anyway, like now, when the forecast is for rain for the rest of the week.

Thanks
Randy
You can get a little kit of plastic ones at most boating shops. I have seen them in some hardware stores also. Mine came from a local boat shop.

Like these: http://www.coghlans.com/catalogue/pr...t.php?catID=15
number 706

If you cannot find them locally, they are here:
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...0226&langId=-1

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll find something similar.

Rando
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 8:22 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Um, you do realize the LT still rides fine in the rain?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 13 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 6:55 am Thread Starter

Yeah, but I use it for taking kids to school and communting 5 miles each way to work mostly right now. Don;t want to get the kids wet before school and just not worth the trouble of rain gear to ride 5 miles, eh? At least it's not to me. I'm not averse to rain, by any means, if I'm on a ride of anything longer.

And I got the Metzes. Haven't you read about the wet slippage on Metzes??? OMG< it's terrible!!!! How can ANYONE ride on those things??!?!?!....tongue planted firmly in cheek, of course.

THanks for calling me to task.
rando
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 9:01 am

I think one or two people have replaced the stock antennas with the fold-down ones from G-Wings.
My wife sewed me a couple of small velcro flaps onto my cover. Pull em open and I can slip the LT antennas through. Closed, I can use the cover on another bike without antennas.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

post #11 of 13 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 4:47 pm

Garage
I know some people used the hideaway antennae and have done away with the mast entirely.

http://www.storesonline.com/site/515372/product/44ua20

I plan on doing this mode when I feel amibitious. The consensus is that they have a slight loss of signal but it's worth the sacrifice.

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #12 of 13 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 1:26 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Just giving you a hard time, rando. I understand not wanting to suit up for 5 miles, and especially with kids in the equation. When I rode to work in Wales, it was often raining, or about to rain, or had just rained, and so all of my gear was waterproof all of the time. But I usually took the long way to work anyway.

And I know all about wet Metzelers. Never again on my LT, no thanks.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 6:54 am Thread Starter

I haven't had to ride this bike in the wet yet, so don;t know about the metzes in wet. I'll find out eventually I'm sure.

As for the hideaway antenna, our hilly terrain is problematic enough that I really don;t want to lose any more signal.

Rando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in