New 2006 LT Owner - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:11 pm Thread Starter

New 2006 LT Owner

Picked her up Saturday...looks like just in time for a hurricane. I will start by sending a huge thanks to this forum....I've picked up lots of good information related to both what to expect and where to go from here.

First observations...the bike is a true joy to ride. I migrated from a standard 750 that I had had for 23 years, but rented a Wing last month for a week so knew what to expect on a big bike. I all honesty the LT seems a lot smaller than the Wing...and it wants to turn (Wings want to go straight). The lower weight and lower view forward make a difference; the LT really doesn't feel that much bigger than my old bike did. Power brakes take a little getting used to, but I'm already starting to get the hang of it. Lots and lots of gizmos here, and I haven't even looked at the intercomm system stuff yet.

On the downside, the seat is going to be a problem. Even after the hour drive home from the dealer, I was feeling places on my backend that I did not want to feel. I know there are lots of posts on seat improvements, but I am certainly not ready to drop a lot of money to improve the seat on a bike I just dropped $20K plus on. The seat on my old Honda was much better. At 6'2" and under 200 lbs I should not be pushing the stock seat to the limit.

Oh...also I already got my first "I didn't know BMW makes motorcycles."

--Duane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:44 pm

Congrats, Duane - welcome to the pack. Gonna be lookin' for more posts from ya, since you're plumb fresh to the LT. It's a great scoot and has room built in for adding farkles, and we got some folks here that just LOVE to talk farkling!! What color didja git??

Enjoy, Duane. Ride safe, and stay outta the way of Ernesto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
Picked her up Saturday...looks like just in time for a hurricane. I will start by sending a huge thanks to this forum....I've picked up lots of good information related to both what to expect and where to go from here.

First observations...the bike is a true joy to ride. I migrated from a standard 750 that I had had for 23 years, but rented a Wing last month for a week so knew what to expect on a big bike. I all honesty the LT seems a lot smaller than the Wing...and it wants to turn (Wings want to go straight). The lower weight and lower view forward make a difference; the LT really doesn't feel that much bigger than my old bike did. Power brakes take a little getting used to, but I'm already starting to get the hang of it. Lots and lots of gizmos here, and I haven't even looked at the intercomm system stuff yet.

On the downside, the seat is going to be a problem. Even after the hour drive home from the dealer, I was feeling places on my backend that I did not want to feel. I know there are lots of posts on seat improvements, but I am certainly not ready to drop a lot of money to improve the seat on a bike I just dropped $20K plus on. The seat on my old Honda was much better. At 6'2" and under 200 lbs I should not be pushing the stock seat to the limit.

Oh...also I already got my first "I didn't know BMW makes motorcycles."

--Duane
post #3 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:59 pm Thread Starter

It's the dark grey that BMW thinks is Black, with the black seat....down here I wish it had the grey seat...maybe a little less hot in the sun.

post #4 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Welcome...

to the club. My advice: bite the bullet and spend the money on the new seat now. For some of us (most it seems) the stock seat is misery. Put it on a credit card if you have to. You will be thinking about your sore butt rather than how much fun the bike is if you don't. Doesn't seem right on a $20K bike, I know. Just do it an put it out of you mind and enjoy the ride!
post #5 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 1:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane_in_Florida
It's the dark grey that BMW thinks is Black, with the black seat....down here I wish it had the grey seat...maybe a little less hot in the sun.
I got the same color and year, BMW Black (rest of the world charcoal grey), about four weeks ago, and am loving it.

It's funny about the size thing. When I first started riding it, the size was a bit intimidating, now I wonder what all the fuss was about.

Like you, I haven't touched the intercom system yet.
post #6 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 1:12 pm

Duane, don't tell anyone that Ron gives out commissions, butt ..... seriously, take a look at the Kontour website. That seat they have shoulda/woulda/willa work great in FL. A coupla locals here have 'em and they work great for cooling. One of 'em has the light gray color and it looks terrific on his Basalt Gray LT. Bet it would look fine on your dark colored scoot.
post #7 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddavenport
------------------. For some of us (most it seems) the stock seat is misery. -----------------------------------
I am quite sure it is not MOST, but a fairly small percentage that think the stock seat is bad. I think BMW did a really good job of fitting the majority with the LT seat. No one can design a seat that will fit better than 70% of the riders well, and BMW pretty much hit that mark.

I was one of the majority that really liked the stock seat. I put 120,000 miles on the stock LT seats, a lot of 1,000 mile plus days, and the seat was never an issue for me.

Unfortunately, BMW seems to have gone a little downhill on the seat comfort with the '05 model though, made it narrower in front to accomodate shorter riders without giving buyers the option of the standard pre-'05 seat. If I were to get an '05, I would be searching for a pre '05 seat to put on it.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 17 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 1:56 pm

Welcome to LT world. I would suggest riding the bike for a couple of weeks before making a decision on a seat rebuild. The stock seat needs some break it time. My stock seat felt much better after a month, though for the shape of my arse it never was good enough for a 12 hour day so I still ended up going into the aftermarket and getting a Bill Mayer seat. Ron
post #9 of 17 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 7:47 pm

I heartily agree with most of the replies to your thread. The stock configuration is a piss poor excuse for a seat, especially on what is a world-class touring bike. I could barely withstand the pain of a 100 mile ride with the stocker. I went with a Bill Mayer seat. I started with the medium density foam which was too hard, so I returned it for the soft density foam; the soft version is still much firmer than the stock seat and seems to be the ticket to buttock bliss. I have not had much opportunity for riding lately so I cannot give a resounding endorsement until I have logged 1500 miles on the Mayer seat. I can say that Bill Mayer is a great guy to work with and he is very concerned with having a satisfied customer. I would recommend you pony up for a good quality aftermarket seat and enjoy the bike to it's fullest.
post #10 of 17 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 1:20 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDude
I have not had much opportunity for riding lately so I cannot give a resounding endorsement until I have logged 1500 miles on the Mayer seat.
I did that the first weekend I had my Bill Mayer seat. Rocky (his son) knows the bottom line and will take good care of you.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 17 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakotaDude
I heartily agree with most of the replies to your thread. The stock configuration is a piss poor excuse for a seat, especially on what is a world-class touring bike. I could barely withstand the pain of a 100 mile ride with the stocker. I went with a Bill Mayer seat. I started with the medium density foam which was too hard, so I returned it for the soft density foam; the soft version is still much firmer than the stock seat and seems to be the ticket to buttock bliss. I have not had much opportunity for riding lately so I cannot give a resounding endorsement until I have logged 1500 miles on the Mayer seat. I can say that Bill Mayer is a great guy to work with and he is very concerned with having a satisfied customer. I would recommend you pony up for a good quality aftermarket seat and enjoy the bike to it's fullest.
Did your LT come with the "soft touch" seats? Those have never been good for any distance riding. The "Standard" stock seats are very good for most of us. I put 120,000 miles on the stock "Standard" seat, and liked it better than any motorcycle seat I ever rode with.

As I said before, the stock standard seat is good for the great majority, but no seat will suit everyone. You are unfortunately in the minority that it does not work well for. That however does not make it a "piss poor" seat for the bike, just for you and a few others.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #12 of 17 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:24 pm
Gold Supporter

Smile Seat on your new LT

Duane,

I am somewhat envious of riders like David and a host of others who have never had an issue with the stock seat. When I rode my 05 LT from Chicago to Seattle in late May of 05, I put on about 3k mikes (a couple side trips along the way) and found out the stock seat wasn't for me, even if I had not had a bad back (ruptured L4/L5 disc in 1986...no surgery). This May I did a 3100mile solo trip to Utah, Nevada, northern CA, Oregon, and back to Washington on my 'Rich's Custom Seat'. What a difference it made. He fits the thing to the rider and the whole day consumed by the operation is worth it. Bite the bullet and purchase a custom seat so you can truly enjoy this beast!

Terry
post #13 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 10:57 am

Welcome to '06 Club!

Me too! Got my Ocean Blue in June. What a pleasure. I also had that "pain in the butt" feeling after my nice comfy GT, but, that feeling will surely pass! It takes a bit of getting used to, but before you rush out and buy a new seat, give it a chance to "break in". Mine did, and gets more comfortable by the day!

Get a new screen instead!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #14 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 12:30 pm

Welcome to the family! I have to agree with Dave, I don't find the stock seat on my 99LT uncomfortable. Could be that I have too much natural padding???????? I would give it a little while before replacing it. Safe riding.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #15 of 17 Old Aug 31st, 2006, 9:01 pm

Welcome Duane

Howdy Duane,

Sounds like we bought our bikes at about the same time. I just took my bike in for it's break-in service today with some 846 mile on the clock. I ashamed to say those miles are pretty much all back and forth to work. Better than not riding at all I suppose. Anyway, I too have the "Black" bike but with the gray seat. So far, it's working pretty well for me, although, like I said earlier, I haven't done anything like a LONG day yet. I've had virtually no issues of any kind. Face huts from ear-to-ear-grin syndrome whenever I out riding. Have a great weekend and enjoy that bike.

Bruce

Bruce

BMW MOA# 130127
IBA# 49203
MSF RiderCoach
USN (Retired)

'13 R1200GSA (Magma Red)

"Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of All Who Threaten It."

post #16 of 17 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 8:04 am

Congratulations!

Congratulations on the New LT! I myself recently became a new LT owner. I have no ridden enough yet to make a judgment on the stock (standard) seat, but so far, so good. Except for lower rider pegs, which have been a great change for me, I am leaving things as they are until I get a few (000) more miles on the bike.

Good luck with the bike.

OscarF

Oscar F
2006 LT
post #17 of 17 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to All

Lot's of great advice here, most of which boils down to living with the stock for a while and see what I think. Also the impact of lowering the pegs could help. But for the first few thousand, I'll see how my bottom end, legs, and other parts feel after various length jaunts. I also posted a VOICE II question that no one seems to want to touch. Anyhow I'm sure that I'll be shooting a lot more questions out there in the future, so thanks in advance for all your help.

Duane
Mag Black 2006 LT

Three loves - motorcycles, good wine, and contrabassoon...none of which mix. Engineer by day to pay for them all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in