Ramblings and a new little project - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By kj4tak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Ramblings and a new little project

Just got my K12 back from Florida's latest BMW dealer (Broward Motorsports) today after new front tire, fluids, and brake flush. The mechanics did a great job and the bike is in great shape. Down side is they had pretty poor customer service. Arranged for the service 2 weeks out and left the K12 down there and would pick it up later that day. Course the heavens opened up and I decided to pick it up on Friday. Traveled the 54 miles to the dealership and got there when they opened. Bike not ready no tire.....many excuses but no "lets make it right" instead a "Come back later we will call you" Asked for the manager "He does come in till late". got a call an hour later and no joy there although he said that tire would be in later on Friday. Did not have an explanation or even a "sorry" or "let us make it up to you".

I suppose after all these years with BMW dealers I should know better. Wrote a letter to the GM with a copy to mother beemer. Don't expect anything in return... but how hard is this to get right? Sorry just ranting....

On another note attached is a prototype Sirius radio housing mounted on the beemer gps mount. This is the first kick at it and I used one of the vertical Sirius antennas which promptly cracked (single mount bolt)

Interconnected it to the bike via an rf modulator and buried a Sirius direct wire power supply in the stingray. Added a molex plug so the stingray can be easily disconnected.

Works like a treat with great sound over the stock system as well as am/fm stations came in just fine with the Sirius radio off. The housing is an off the shelf product etc. Ran it through a downpour on the way back from the dealer. V2 will have a better antenna mount and the vertical antenna will point more vertical as I got a little fading. The front cover is clear silicone and you can adjust things just fine with your gloves on. Other plus is the Sirius radio can be moved around....

Tom

(The pics were taken inside and I got a metal roof thus no signal)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	view1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	85458   Click image for larger version

Name:	view2.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	85466  

###########################
2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
2001 Goldwing (Gone but not forgotten)
1999 K1200LT (Gone failed final drive)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 8:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Ramblings and a new little project

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj4tak View Post

Just got my K12 back from Florida's latest BMW dealer (Broward Motorsports) today after new front tire, fluids, and brake flush. The mechanics did a great job and the bike is in great shape. Down side is they had pretty poor customer service. Arranged for the service 2 weeks out and left the K12 down there and would pick it up later that day. Course the heavens opened up and I decided to pick it up on Friday. Traveled the 54 miles to the dealership and got there when they opened. Bike not ready no tire.....many excuses but no "lets make it right" instead a "Come back later we will call you" Asked for the manager "He does come in till late". got a call an hour later and no joy there although he said that tire would be in later on Friday. Did not have an explanation or even a "sorry" or "let us make it up to you".

I suppose after all these years with BMW dealers I should know better. Wrote a letter to the GM with a copy to mother beemer. Don't expect anything in return... but how hard is this to get right? Sorry just ranting....

On another note attached is a prototype Sirius radio housing mounted on the beemer gps mount. This is the first kick at it and I used one of the vertical Sirius antennas which promptly cracked (single mount bolt)

Interconnected it to the bike via an rf modulator and buried a Sirius direct wire power supply in the stingray. Added a molex plug so the stingray can be easily disconnected.

Works like a treat with great sound over the stock system as well as am/fm stations came in just fine with the Sirius radio off. The housing is an off the shelf product etc. Ran it through a downpour on the way back from the dealer. V2 will have a better antenna mount and the vertical antenna will point more vertical as I got a little fading. The front cover is clear silicone and you can adjust things just fine with your gloves on. Other plus is the Sirius radio can be moved around....

Tom

I've only had experience with one dealer, Country Ride Motowerks, where I bought my LT new, but I haven't been back for several years after the way the service manager treated me on the phone. I sent a letter to the owner and got no response other than a phone call from the service manager with an obviously forced apology, but no "it won't happen again" so I decided just not to go back.

I can't tell what type of antenna you have, but most Sirius antennas I've seen are somewhat pancake shaped and mount horizontally. Given that satellites are above and not on the horizon like ground stations, I am wondering if you really want a vertical orientation if your antenna is a dipole.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 9:11 am Thread Starter

The antenna is supposedly designed for motorcycles

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o03_s00

My understanding of this type of design is that it is not a simple dipole rather one of the more exotic types of antennas (quadrifilar helix in vertical orientation at a guess). Once I have built an adjustable mount I will play with the orientation. I also have a pancake type of antenna which I will try to see which gets the best reception. My service receiver does not go up that high to get an accurate reading on Vertical/Horizontal

I will pull apart the broken one to see exactly what type of antenna it really it. So far minimal fading however I think adjusting the angle could be somewhat beneficial. I am not tied to the vertical one however so will do a qualitative contrast between them.

As for poor service experience I really only wanted the brake system flushed and a tire which is not something I want to do. I also had all the fluids changed at the same time which was for convenience only. I suppose never again is my mantra except for the few jobs you can't do yourself even with a GS911. The 24K service is approaching in the fall so will be doing that one myself too bad for beemer..... Course I have had as of late an irrational urge to get a K1600.......

Tom

2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Both jobs are very easy to do...
I know I can swap tires on most bikes in an hour.
Flushing the brake system is about twenty minutes, but I don't do it the BMW way and I might cheat a little bit.
But as long as the fluid is new, I don't care.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 2:48 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The antenna is supposedly designed for motorcycles

Amazon.com : XM Sirius Satellite Radio Motorcycle Antenna : Vehicle Satellite Radio Equipment : Car Electronics

My understanding of this type of design is that it is not a simple dipole rather one of the more exotic types of antennas (quadrifilar helix in vertical orientation at a guess). Once I have built an adjustable mount I will play with the orientation. I also have a pancake type of antenna which I will try to see which gets the best reception. My service receiver does not go up that high to get an accurate reading on Vertical/Horizontal

I will pull apart the broken one to see exactly what type of antenna it really it. So far minimal fading however I think adjusting the angle could be somewhat beneficial. I am not tied to the vertical one however so will do a qualitative contrast between them.

As for poor service experience I really only wanted the brake system flushed and a tire which is not something I want to do. I also had all the fluids changed at the same time which was for convenience only. I suppose never again is my mantra except for the few jobs you can't do yourself even with a GS911. The 24K service is approaching in the fall so will be doing that one myself too bad for beemer..... Course I have had as of late an irrational urge to get a K1600.......

Tom
Yes, looks like an end fire helix.

I do all of my own work now, including tired. I bought a NoMar machine and it works pretty slick, but the tires on the LT are too stiff to use the bar alone. I bought the large tire levers they sell and will try them out next change. The metal irons I had were too hard to use as they are too short and I have to use milk carton plastic shields to keep from scratching the rims.

The NoMar levers look pretty neat and have polymer tips to protect the rims.

Brake flushes are tedious, but easy if you get the BBY funnel and the Speed Bleeder bag (no need for the speed bleeders themselves).

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #6 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 3:02 pm Thread Starter

I just found a local motorcycle shop who has done beemer tires before and is happy to mount ones the customer brings in so I guess the "never again" moniker. I have been thinking about getting the equipment to do tires perhaps next time I will buy them. The brake job I did not want to mess with but will be doing it in the future. My R1200RTP has seen the dealer once and will see it again for the recall but that is it.

Just so disappointing when you get crappy service

Tom

2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

post #7 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 4:23 pm

The No-Mar bar should be fine... The key to tire changes and every home tire installer ignores this, is tire lube.
Plenty of tire lube around the bead. All the way around the bead.

This is true for both manual tire machines and the automatic.

I personally feel that you should allow the tire installer to purchase your tires.
If you are carrying them in, before you buy, ask the guy; This is what I can get them for, how much will you charge me to get them?
My deal is that if you buy tires from me, I charge 10.00 per wheel. If you bring in tires it is 20.00 per wheel.
I have lost only one guy who got really pissy with me. I tried to tell him my tools aren't free my time isn't free, valve stems, cores, weights, these all cost money.
A good shop gets cheaper tires when they buy volume. I get a decent kick back for buying volume and I share it with other riders.

Visit
_ Why is there never enough time to do it right the first time, but always enough time to do it over?
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 6:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I just found a local motorcycle shop who has done beemer tires before and is happy to mount ones the customer brings in so I guess the "never again" moniker. I have been thinking about getting the equipment to do tires perhaps next time I will buy them. The brake job I did not want to mess with but will be doing it in the future. My R1200RTP has seen the dealer once and will see it again for the recall but that is it.

Just so disappointing when you get crappy service

Tom
I agree. After spending $25,000 on a new 2000 LT, jackets, gloves, three service visits, etc., I asked the dealer to use their special tool to remove one lousy pin so I could install my CB. And I wasn't asking for a freebie, I planned to make an appointment and pay a reasonable shop rate. The service manager's response was "if I wanted to do my own work, I should buy the special tools like he had to and do all of my own work." So, that is exactly what I have done. I've probably saved $3,000 in the five years since then and likely will buy another bike in the next year or two, but certainly not from them. Country Rode lost me as a customer because Jake wouldn't spend 10 minutes with his $50 tool. Oh well, their business and they get to choose how to run it. Just as I get to choose which dealer to buy my next bike from.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #9 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeERideWNC View Post
The No-Mar bar should be fine... The key to tire changes and every home tire installer ignores this, is tire lube.

I personally feel that you should allow the tire installer to purchase your tires.
If you are carrying them in, before you buy, ask the guy; This is what I can get them for, how much will you charge me to get them?
My deal is that if you buy tires from me, I charge 10.00 per wheel. If you bring in tires it is 20.00 per wheel.
I have lost only one guy who got really pissy with me. I tried to tell him my tools aren't free my time isn't free, valve stems, cores, weights, these all cost money.
A good shop gets cheaper tires when they buy volume. I get a decent kick back for buying volume and I share it with other riders.
The No-Mar works great. On a normal bike tire it would be an "iron free" process. The LT tires are so stiff irons are required, but it is still a 5 minute job at most.

Yes, tire lube is key and the paste that No-Mar sells works great. And if you follow their videos, the process is fairly easy even with LT tires. In addition to lube, the other key is the use of small wood blocks to hold the bead in the dropped center of the rim. This is also demonstrated well in their video. I only change tires once a year at most, so I watch the video each time to refresh my memory on the proper technique.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #10 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 6:42 pm

Try mounting a Bridgestone T30 GT if you want to see a stiff tire.
You'll think the ME880 is like spreading butter.

Besides, if you break the bar, No-Mar has a lifetime guarantee. Doesn't it?

Visit
post #11 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I've probably saved $3,000 in the five years since then and likely will buy another bike in the next year or two, but certainly not from them. .
Try Max BMW.
They treated me great...
I won an eBay auction and bought the bike site unseen. 2005 LT - 6K OTD.
They have even followed up.

If I lived closer, I would be a customer.

Visit
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Quote:

I tend to agree to let them purchase the tires and I am happy to provide $$$ to a local guy who does a good job and has great customer service. It is like the scuba business.... You can generally get pro quality stuff cheaper online but when your local shop goes out of business well you are out of luck for recalls/warranty/etc. I service my own scuba gear.. bought all the special tools...blend my own nitrox... Got certified to service my gear... etc.... Still if I need warranty work on my scubapro computer back to the factory...oh you don't have any store local? that will be an extra $300....

Same with beemer dealer you dont keep them in business where are you going to get your next one or a service you can't do without their tools. Ranting again I know.... I am at the stage where I will travel extra just to avoid bad service!

When I was out in cali last year I had some minor service done at Riverside BMW. They wanted to give me a loaner to ride around during the service. They contacted me after I got back from florida to make sure the service went well.It would be pretty hard to fault them on customer service.

When I had problems on my way back from cali with my rear 888 I wound up in Las Cruces NM and took it to the Honda dealer to get a new tire. After some initial ribbing they made sure I had a hotel, started phoning around and found the nearest tire was in El Paso. They asked if I wanted to borrow the shop pickup to get the tire for a faster turnaround or they would send their guy in after lunch. Holy Crap....I drove out to EP to the new bmw dealer and they had the 888 in stock. Just as well the honda guys did the tire as the beemer dealer told me it would have taken them 3 days with their backlog.... Long and short of it was the HONDA dealer was better at customer service the beemer dealer....

sigh wrote to mother Honda about Las Cruces Motorsports and complemented them on the excellent service at their dealer... They sent me back a discount card on a new goldwing! Sigh owned a GW they have no soul.....

I tend to be long winded... Thanks for your comments

Tom

2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

post #13 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Try Max BMW.
They treated me great...

+1!

I buy my parts from them!

2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

post #14 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 7:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Try mounting a Bridgestone T30 GT if you want to see a stiff tire.
You'll think the ME880 is like spreading butter.

Besides, if you break the bar, No-Mar has a lifetime guarantee. Doesn't it?
I don't know. I can't imagine breaking the bar. Maybe the tips, but they shipped two spares with it. I just could not push on the bar hard enough to fully seat the bead. And even No-Mar recommends using levers for Wing and similar tires.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #15 of 17 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Try Max BMW.
They treated me great...

I've thought about it, but they are 300 or so miles away. I will likely try my second closest dealer next ... Kissell in State College, PA.

If they don't work out, then Max it will be or maybe Bob's.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #16 of 17 Old Jul 27th, 2015, 12:53 pm

Quote:
I like that Farkle mount, is that a custom piece or was it an aftermarket. Need something like that so it is either make one or buy one. If that is custom and I have to make one, I would like some better pictures on how it mounts and to what.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #17 of 17 Old Jul 27th, 2015, 1:14 pm Thread Starter

BMR Products - Display Products

is the dash mount. I bought pretty much everything he makes for the K12. The dash mount has the right and left wings and I just replaced the garmin zumo mount with a touratech locking mount. (not pictured) I also have his Cargo mount and under mirror lighting mounts. Well engineered products and great customer support

Tom
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

2009 K1200LT (Travel)
2007 R1200RTP (Commute)
1983 R100RT (Sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in