new k12 lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 10:46 pm Thread Starter

new k12 lt

I'm in N. Calif. and looking at a 2006 K1200lt, fully loaded. The sticker price is $22,900, but I'm curious as to a fair true market value for this bike. Can anyone help with a fair out the door price?
I used to ride years ago (in my youth), and my wife just said it was OK for me to get a new bike again!
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 7:17 am

You probably don't want to hear this, but my suggestion for you would be to buy a smaller bike first, like a Kawasaki Concours or Honda ST11/13, ride it for a couple of months and get familiar with riding again before spending a lot of money on an LT. I just bought myself one, and even after riding sportbikes for 30 years it was still intimidating to get on a big bike like this.

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)
post #3 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 7:26 am

Explain what fully loaded includes...GPS, CB, Intercom, 8-cd player If So that is a good deal !! I paid more for mine...Too much more ....

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar
You probably don't want to hear this, but my suggestion for you would be to buy a smaller bike first, like a Kawasaki Concours or Honda ST11/13, ride it for a couple of months and get familiar with riding again before spending a lot of money on an LT. I just bought myself one, and even after riding sportbikes for 30 years it was still intimidating to get on a big bike like this.
Or pick up a used one. There are some really good buys on used LTs out there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 8:31 am

I agree with the advice to try a used one. There's some very nice ones available for around 10 grand. May take a bit of patience to find a mint one, Pre-owned LTs of any year seem to always be scarce around here (NJ) no matter if its riding season or "off" season.

I too, rode many years ago, and about 6 years ago got back into it with a R1200C and also rode police Harleys. Recently went with an R1150, then very recently to the K1200LT. Even after all that transition, its still a BIG ride to me. Not in a bad way, just takes some getting used to.
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 8:40 am

Buy Used

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmarvin16
I'm in N. Calif. and looking at a 2006 K1200lt, fully loaded. The sticker price is $22,900, but I'm curious as to a fair true market value for this bike. Can anyone help with a fair out the door price?
I used to ride years ago (in my youth), and my wife just said it was OK for me to get a new bike again!
Thanks!

I was in the same boat as you at the start of this year and decided on the used 02.
Glad I did
Within the first 2 months of riding the big girl she fell over twice while parking.
She is very top heavy bu at parking lot speeds.
No major damage just cosmetic to the mirror which fell off and the engine guards. Would have been a real bummer with a new bike.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #7 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:18 pm

I agree with all the comments above. I have a very similiar experience as George. After 3 years and 5 different bikes, I bit off a 2005 LT. I love the bike and have no trouble handling it but am keenly aware that she is big. She can throw me if she wants . I would recommend going with an older used one. I bought my 05 fo 15k with only 6k miles (loaded 6 cd, backrest, 2 shields, intercom system). I wouldn't buy new (for me) unless it was the only way to get what I wanted.
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 12:40 pm

Just bought one, and can tell you that here in the southeast and late in the model year that you can get a pretty piece off sticker...and a free GPS to boot. By the time I did the math, including the stuff that is on the current '06s that is not std on the '05s (Xenon light, intercomm, alarm, heated seats, rack, and convenience pkg), the 2006 with 36 months of warranty ahead of me did not look like a bad deal. However I learned a long time ago that things don't cost the same in N Cal as they do in Florida (used to live out there)...so you may come up with a different answer there.
post #9 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Thanks!
Thats to much money for a bike that is already a year old.
You can find a better deal if you look
Rock
post #10 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 8:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Maybe he should offer the dealer 50% of sticker price, right Rock?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 16 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 10:31 pm

Talking

Quote:
Thanks!
Beemers are great bikes, the K1200LT has virtually no equals in engineering and touring performance. I enjoy mine immensely.
I have to agree with another poster, buy a smaller bike first.
I'd even go smaller than a liter bike. Maybe a 600cc 4 cylinder. Get used to riding - it's a dangerous world out here. A smaller bike will help your reflexes and increase your learning curve. You could then buy a new 2006 or 2007 BMW after Christmas, before New Year's. I bought my 2006 then, at a 12% discount off of sticker and it had every option available. At that time, I could have bought a new gold colored 2005 for 16,500. I wanted to go with a 2006, though (I didn't want that yellow gold color). I've since added a HID high beam, BRAKE! taillight and Motolites. Each addition has been made to increase visibility (for me to be seen and for me to see). One last piece of advice, shop by phone, nationally and then, be sure to give your local dealer a chance to make a similar deal with you before you buy one at a distance...
Make good choices and ride safe!
post #12 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 5:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Maybe he should offer the dealer 50% of sticker price, right Rock?
Don't be a dick thats my job )
The bike is not used it is new but still 1 year old. There are people on this list that have saved large chunks off the list price when the bike didn't sell and the new ones came. So why should he be their guppy?
Of course I don't live in that country, things are differant there, in Mexifonia!
Rock
post #13 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 6:27 pm

You didn't say how long ago you rode or what size bike you used to ride... Did you ride daily or just weekends??
There i nothing wrong with coming back to riding on an LT... But if you were riding big bikes already then the LT ain't that big of a deal....

And dick err Uncle Rock is right, the 07's are out in a matter of days,,, let one come in to the dealer and he may make you a better deal...

Isn't the GPS a free option right now?? Thats a good discount in its self...

Anyway I quit riding for 10 years went straight to the LT, a smaller bike never crossed my mind................Regards Pete
post #14 of 16 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 8:35 pm

post #15 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 1:12 am
IBR# 366

Garage
A dealer told me today they've been allocated their first two '07 LTs. So no big changes yet. I guess we'll have to wait until '08 after all.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #16 of 16 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 1:17 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
I disagree there. I bought an '02 Connie after riding a '99 LT for a couple of years (moved back to the US and couldn't take the old LT, bought a house and couldn't afford a new LT). It's a good bike, but nowhere near the same league as the LT. It was great for commuting through L.A. traffic but just not really fun to ride, nor comfortable two-up. When my wife and I started choosing the car for weekend trips over the bike, I knew it had to go. I got a great end-of-year deal on an '02 LT, traded in the Connie, and never looked back.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in