5Likes
  • 2 Post By simon
  • 1 Post By simon
  • 1 Post By Moogie
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 24th, 2015, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Good job I'm not superstitious!

I'm just about to come back to the K1200LT fold.
I've had a few over the years (15 years) and I've just worked out this next one is my 13th!
Over the last few years I've had 4 Triumph Rockets, any number of R1200RT's and a K1600.
Just can't keep away from the LT's though!

Simon
Notahog and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

2006 k1200LT........my 13th!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 24th, 2015, 2:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Good job I'm not superstitious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I'm just about to come back to the K1200LT fold.
I've had a few over the years (15 years) and I've just worked out this next one is my 13th!
Over the last few years I've had 4 Triumph Rockets, any number of R1200RT's and a K1600.
Just can't keep away from the LT's though!

Simon

Slow learner, eh?

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 24th, 2015, 2:53 pm

LT'S?

D.Kinsey
Santa Fe, Tx.
15 R1200RT
13 Ducati Panigale Tricolore
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

12 Ducati Diavel Carbon(SOLD)
08 K1200LT (born 12/19/07)(SOLD)

09 Triumph Sprint ST...RED(SOLD)
00 K1200LT Custom Painted(SOLD)

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 1:11 am

Simon, you can't leave us hanging like that. We need a full report on what is so great about the LT and what is not so great about all the other bikes. That's a lot motorcycle to experience in a short time.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 1:36 am

13Th bike. Wow.. How did you like the K1600?

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 1:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogie View Post
Simon, you can't leave us hanging like that. We need a full report on what is so great about the LT and what is not so great about all the other bikes. That's a lot motorcycle to experience in a short time.
Not sure I can answer that...I suppose it just feels so right and capable.
The rocket is a fantastic bike for a quick squirt around, massively powerful, ALWAYS puts a grin on your face the LT certainly isn't as powerful
The RT, again a brilliant ride, smaller, lighter than the LT , but I'm not 100% convinced by the air cooled engine. One of the RT's I had started to act very strange on a hot day on traffic, just didn't feel I could trust it. Of course, later RT's are liquid cooled so probably fine.
The K1600, fabulous bike (I'd certainly have another, later model) but the 2011 clunky gearbox ruined the whole experience for me.
Despite being so big, I use the LT for everything, commuting into town, going up to the shops, touring Europe.
I've always called it "the best bike in the world" and at this moment in time, I still feel it is. I love my flying armchair.
Simon

post #7 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 1:56 am Thread Starter

Yes, 13th LT
LOVED the K 1600 but just couldn't get around the MASSIVE clunk going into first every time. With such a modern, sophisticated bike it was just unacceptable. I understand later models have this sorted, so would definitely have another. Fabulous engine, brilliant extras, it will edge ahead of the LT in my opinion as long as the gearbox issues are sorted.
Simon
D.Kinsey likes this.

post #8 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 3:34 am Thread Starter

One other thing, when I bought the K1600, I thought the adaptive headlight was just a gimmick.
Absolutely brilliant idea! The first time I rode the bike round some lanes at night I was laughing like a maniac to myself in my helmet, it works superbly and is genuinely a useful addition especially on a bike used for touring. VERY impressed.

Simon

post #9 of 16 Old Jul 25th, 2015, 8:08 am

I have to admit the LT is the best touring bike I ever had and my wife would agree with me a 100% and as far as top heavy if I am solo it is not a problem its when I have a passenger is when I have to stay a little more alert of the top heavy thing

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 12:53 am

Thanks for your reply. I to ride mine every where daily. Not much experience with different bikes but I won't let them bash the Lt on other forums. Most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
wolfstudios likes this.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

post #11 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 7:53 am
Lifetime Supporter

HTML Code:

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I to ride mine every where daily. Not much experience with different bikes but I won't let them bash the Lt on other forums. Most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.
And how do you stop them?

There are many aspects of the LT to rightfully bash. It was the bashing in this forum that gave me guidance on fixing many weak areas before they caused serious problems. Plastic QD replacement was one of my first upgrades. Bashing is a good thing for a bike with as many Achilles heels as the LT possesses.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 26th, 2015 at 8:35 am.
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 7:59 am Thread Starter

I suppose if the perfect bike was out there, we'd all be riding one!

Simon

post #13 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 8:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon View Post
I suppose if the perfect bike was out there, we'd all be riding one!

Simon
True, but some seem to feel that anyone who criticizes their bike is somehow attacking them personally. I believe that almost all bashing is based on at least a grain of truth. And I have read the criticisms posted here for many years and used many of them to fix my LT before it breaks. So, I have no issue with anyone who bashes the LT.
wolfstudios likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #14 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 9:26 am Thread Starter

Very good point.

Simon

post #15 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 3:47 pm

The bashing I hear comes from other forums namely the Concours and the FJR sites. There are a lot of converts from Bmw riders on ea. site and they mostly relay their experience with different Bmw's they've had. Those with no Bmw experience tend to be the bashers and they feel their bikes are far superior then all others.
I felt with your hands on experience we'd get an honest review of a few other bike you've had.
As for bashers on this site, well the bikes do have their inherent problems like all bikes do. One could argue the case for engineered to come back to the dealer?

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

post #16 of 16 Old Jul 26th, 2015, 6:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The bashing I hear comes from other forums namely the Concours and the FJR sites. There are a lot of converts from Bmw riders on ea. site and they mostly relay their experience with different Bmw's they've had. Those with no Bmw experience tend to be the bashers and they feel their bikes are far superior then all others.
I felt with your hands on experience we'd get an honest review of a few other bike you've had.
As for bashers on this site, well the bikes do have their inherent problems like all bikes do. One could argue the case for engineered to come back to the dealer?
Yes, human nature and often just good fun. Nothing to get excited about. I have been looking for an alternative to the LT since my FD failed three years ago and my clutch started slipping at the same time. I haven't yet found an overall better bike for my riding style.

I first tried the 1600GTL, but after two weeks riding one both my wife and I liked our LT better.

I test rode an FJR a year or two ago when they finally put cruise on it. It was a sweet machine for solo riding, with a far better drive train than any BMW I have ridden. However, it is not a bike my wife would ride 100 miles, let alone 600 as we do occasionally on our LT.

So, as much as I dislike several key things about the LT, it as yet has no real competition for my riding style. Maybe the Wing, but Honda screwed me over on a 1984 Accord and I won't buy anything that has the name Honda on it. The new RTW might be a good alternative, but I suspect it will have more low RPM vibration than I care for and the passenger accommodations likely won't match the LT.

So, the search continues.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in