BMW Motorrad Communication help - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 19th, 2015, 11:06 pm Thread Starter

BMW Motorrad Communication help

Wasn't sure where to post this.

We just purchased a couple of nice Schuberth C3s with the BMW communication system and are having trouble getting the connection with the helmets and iPhones to work.

When both helmets are on, we can hear each other just great, and even when the iPhone shows it is connected to the helmet we get no music. When my wife turns her helmet off I can barely hear the music.

I've read the manual several times and can't figure out what we're doing wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Larry

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 20th, 2015, 8:24 pm Thread Starter

Re: BMW Motorrad Communication help

Okay, I've been doing a lot of research and am starting to think the BMW Motorrad communication is a pretty unintelligent system - but I really hope I'm wrong.

It seems that if you have the 1600 or RT things can work okay, but you have to pair this to that to the other and not that to this to the other (order is important).

It seems that you can pair an iPhone with no problems, unless you actually USE the iPhone for music. I this case it doesn't seem to work.

Any other LT owners out there using 2-up Motorrad with iPhone and music? 1-up seems to work just fine. It's when the rider helmet is connected that the problems begin.

Any advice or suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Larry

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 20th, 2015, 10:28 pm

Are you connecting your iPhone with an iPod/iPhone cable or attempting to Bluetooth pair it?

I bet it works better hard wired

Kent Christensen
Albuquerque
'12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 21st, 2015, 9:40 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkchris View Post
Are you connecting your iPhone with an iPod/iPhone cable or attempting to Bluetooth pair it?

I bet it works better hard wired
Hard wired to what? We are attempting the BT, but I have nothing against old-school, hard wired.

Thanks

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #5 of 6 Old Aug 6th, 2015, 9:01 am Thread Starter

After calling BMW USA I went by the dealership yesterday afternoon (Wild West Motorplex in Katy, TX). They were exceptionally friendly and without cost, they downloaded the firmware update.

This seems to have made some changes. On my helmet, everything seems to work fine (although I'm not sure the volume on the music is high enough and am hoping the noise-adjusting volume control will take care of my fear).

On my wife's helmet communication helmet-to-helmet works as well as calling/answering on the iPhone. However, the music does not communicate to the helmet. With no changes in the pairing, she can answer a call on the helmet, but when the music is played (iPhone Music or Pandora) it only plays through the phone and not the helmet.

Does anyone have any suggestions for help? I can remove both systems and put our Sena-10 system on the helmets, but I'd rather not do that.

Thanks for the help,
Larry

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #6 of 6 Old Aug 6th, 2015, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

I'm updating the progress - briefly I succeeded.

Since I had mine working and my wife's not working when playing music, I thought we had some basic success. So, I decided that best move is to reset everything and start over. We reset the comms, then paired the helmets. Then we paired my wife's helmet to her iPhone and made sure the music worked, which it did. We next paired my helmet and iPhone, which also worked. Then we were able to hear our own music from our own iPhones and when in talk mode we could talk to each other.

We still have to test what happens when we turn everything back on - does it still work? We'll see (high expectation).

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in