Disturbing Find - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 2:09 pm Thread Starter

Disturbing Find

While bleeding the clutch slave, I noticed some pretty severe corrosion around the hydraulic line leading into the cylinder. I always thought that a good 316 or 416 grade stainless was required on vehicle hydraulic lines. Is this just some cosmetic issue, or a line thats about to split open. What gives?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1367.JPG
Views:	516
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	6104  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:17 pm

It does not look good to me. I would go ahead and have it replaced.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:42 pm

Suggest replacement.

post #4 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

Anybody else see this on a 2000? What was BMW thinking by making this a regular steel line? It clearly looks like its due to the upward slant of the line going into the cylinder. Water and other corrosive crud can seep down between the rubber sleeve and the line. When I replace it, I think I will get some shrink-tubing and hit it with the heatgun to try and seal it off. Since I have to take the whole back of the bike off anyway, might as well replace the cylinder and drill the housing while I'm at it.
post #5 of 18 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 7:03 pm

Mine was like that and required a replacement. 2000 LT, but I get nailed with a lot of rain.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
post #6 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
While bleeding the clutch slave, I noticed some pretty severe corrosion around the hydraulic line leading into the cylinder. I always thought that a good 316 or 416 grade stainless was required on vehicle hydraulic lines. Is this just some cosmetic issue, or a line thats about to split open. What gives?
Great picture Eric. Scares the hell out of me. I too have a 2000. Recently put new SS braided brake lines on because of a rupture on one. In my opinion also caused by a design flaw.
Can you post another picture ( or a description) showing where to look to see what you are seeing in this attachment. If I am lucky, and mine is not too bad, maybe I can hit it with some lube or rust converter to slow the process down. I don't mind replacing the hose but from what I understand it is some major labor just to get to it.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
post #7 of 18 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Wally,

To see this thing, you will probably need a little MagLight or something. Get the bike on the center stand and crawl under it so your head is in front of the rear wheel and look towards the front of the bike and up about 60 degrees. That critter is right between the rear drive/swingarm pivot point and the black crossbrace that sits right below.

Im going to order a new one tomorrow along with a new output cylinder. Its item 4 on the attached. Cost unknown at this point. But based on the diagram, you dont have to run it all the way up to the master. I think I can do it myself since its likely going to be a $400 labor bill at the shop.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	k1200ltclutch.gif
Views:	215
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	6150  
post #8 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 5:31 am

Got a peek at mine last night. Without knowing exactly where to look I would have never stumbled across it. Anyway, mine looks OK, as far as my bifocals can tell. I could not see any signs of rust although a couple hours after riding home in the rain yesterday there was water hanging on to the spot you have pictured. I agree, a slight difference in their installation could have made this a non issue. At this point I think I'll add it to my oil change maintenance list to add a shot of WD-40 to it. That should keep it OK until BMW comes out with the revamped LT next year. I have 65,000 on mine now and except for the ruptured brake line ordeal, I am still happy as hell that I bought it.

Wally O
2000 Champagne LT
post #9 of 18 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Mine was starting to do that on my '99. The protective sleeve that guards against abarasion damage had slipped or was installed with the lower end pushed over the fitting thus trapping any water which entered the top of the sleeve. I was lucky to catch it early enough.
post #10 of 18 Old Sep 1st, 2006, 9:53 pm Thread Starter

OK. Got the pressure line on order and since the bike has 41K on it, I ordered a new output cylinder too. To get at them, are there any special tools required for the drive/swingarm removal beyond standard metric sockets/wrenches? I just dont want to be 80% into the teardown and hit a wall.
post #11 of 18 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 2:32 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Yes, there are some special tools required, but with those you can do the procedure in your garage. Check this thread, this thread, this thread, and this thread for more info.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #12 of 18 Old Sep 2nd, 2006, 1:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Yes, there are some special tools required, but with those you can do the procedure in your garage. Check this thread, this thread, this thread, and this thread for more info.
Excellent. Thanks Ken, now I'm ready to attack this thing if the parts will ever show up. Definitely going to soak that swingarm pivot with some liquid wrench overnight. Don't feel like throwing my back out on this. Would kinda defeat the purpose of DIY when you have to make it up on Dr bills.
post #13 of 18 Old Sep 6th, 2006, 9:30 pm

Temp. Fix

My 2000 has a lot rust also. I want to do a temp. fix, so what product can I use to clean off the rust with. When I have the rust off would would LPS #3 be a good rust inhibitor to use? Any other ideas?

Jim Campbell
post #14 of 18 Old Sep 8th, 2006, 11:38 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0lxx
My 2000 has a lot rust also. I want to do a temp. fix, so what product can I use to clean off the rust with. When I have the rust off would would LPS #3 be a good rust inhibitor to use? Any other ideas?

Jim Campbell

Whoa! and I mean WHOA! No sooner did I get that old slave cylinder unbolted did that line start to weep right at the corrosion. I shudder to think we just had that bike up in the hills and 500 miles from home in this condition. Jim, if you have what I have, there is no "temp. fix". This is a major. The protective sheath traps water and other corrosives, so on the new one, I trimmed it back and ziptied them so they dont creep up on the metal.

One things for sure, they got 10 lbs. of sheit in a 5 lb. bag on this bike. Just trying to thread the new pressure line under the tank and down was an ordeal. Lots and lots to go wrong with this thing. I'm having a crisis of faith. I need to get on and ride it again to regain the love.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Slave1.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	6560   Click image for larger version

Name:	Slave2.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	6561  
post #15 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 10:03 am

Eric

Would you list the part numbers. Looks like I need winter project. Also if you have the torgue specs.

Jim
post #16 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Eric

Would you list the part numbers. Looks like I need winter project. Also if you have the torgue specs.

Jim
The output cyl. is 21522333433 and the pressure line is 21522333450. I don't have the torque specs yet as I'm still in disassembly mode.
post #17 of 18 Old Sep 9th, 2006, 4:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Eric

Jim
The banjo at the slave is 7 Nm and the joint at the other end is 10 Nm. Strange design to have a joint in the middle of the hose. Must be to make it easier to thread through under the fuel tank. Good catch! I'll be watching mine for corrosion.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #18 of 18 Old Sep 10th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Torque specs are in the Hall of Wisdom. Here is the full chart.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in