Integral Pump, need parts - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 1:19 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Integral Pump, need parts

Need help in either fixing the seal that went or a replacement pump. I have a leak on the driver side integral pump motor where it meets the pump and I'm thinking that somewhere out there someone has replaced that seal. It doesn't look easy but sure makes sense over a new unit at 2500 dollars. All help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Integral update

Found a new pump for about 1300 dollars and may have to go that route if BMW doesn't cover the pump. Of course if I do it this way I will take the old one apart and find the problem along with a solution. This info just might help others down the road. Talking with the techs it seems this sort of thing just doesn't happen or not often and of course some of us just have the luck where it happens to us, go figure. Either way I have to get it fixed. This bike is an 2003LTE that just went out of warranty back in April 2006.
I'm in the mind set that if man built it, man can fix it even if the parts aren't available they can be made or found by a third party. So this is just an info thing now and somewhere soon down the road I'll post an update on this all.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:55 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If you search back a bit (on the old site) Mark Neeblet (sp) had posted some pictures of one disassembled. It is pretty complex inside. It is doable but there just is no easy source for the parts. The list price is about $1700 in most parts lists. Chicago BMW may discount it.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:02 am

what pump is being referred to? more info would help. omurphy
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 4:53 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Integral refers to the Integral ABS brake pump.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:06 am
Super Moderator

If you have the servo assist brakes you should probably bite the bullet and have the dealer do it. There are about 8 places where you have to bleed the brakes in a particular order/maner after the pump has been replaced and it's very difficult to do. My APS pump went out (under warranty thankfully) and it took the tech over 4 hours to get it bled correctly to stop faulting.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #7 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 5:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

David,

He doesn't want to replace it. He wants to repair the unit.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #8 of 11 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 9:28 pm Thread Starter

Cool Integral brakes

Well guys, that's it in that I would like to fix it but I'm still waiting word back from the local dealer here in OK city. You're right about Chicago having the best price and that is about 1300 dollars and that's without the brain which I don't need. I'm now thinking if I took the brain off that would allow me to remove the pump motor which would give me a better idea if this unit is fixable. As for the rest, yep let the dealer do the refill with the Modiac. One way or the other I'll get this issue solved, it's just all a matter of time. I appreciate the insight and thanks. Of course I wouldn't mind doing the work, labor myself just to get the info/learning out of it all. Will post it here when all is said and done but for now I'm just going to ride it like a stole it.
post #9 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 8:26 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Well folks here's the latest update and I'm happy to say that I fixed the leak. How I have to say that reading this site had me believe all sorts of things that just weren't true about Integral braking system of this LT. First of all it's not a sealed system, second any monkey such as myself can bleed all the air out of the system. Okay, that said here's what I did; If you read my first post on the problem I had a leak on the Integral pump and was looking for info on parts to repair it. I'm on the road in OK city and took it to the dealer who said there are no parts and that the pump would have to be replaced. I went checking and found the best price through Chicago BMW new for about 1300 dollars. Now here I am out of town and looking for the best way to repair this unit so I pulled the pump and found that a seal between the right electric motor had failed with a portion of that same seal laying in the tray of the Intregral pump assy. Well rather then risk breaking a screw on the unit I got some liguid steel the sort that anyone can buy at Wally world. This stuff is a epoxy base where you cut off a small portion and work it in your hands until hot and apply. I have to say the rating for this stuff is better then the pump itself. Anyway it did the trick and to prevent any further parts of same said seal to depart I applied it around the base of both motors. Now before doing this I had to clean all the brake fluid in said area and scrub all metal parts to ensure a good seal. The thinking here was the worst that could happen was that I would have to replace the unit. I did have a heck of a time getting the air out of the system until I learned to bleed it like a regular bleed job on any other system. First thing was to work the levers with the bike off meaning key not in the igintion and keep adding fliud as the air escaped back to the reservoir. After that I bleed the front wheel circuit followed by the rear. That all took place on Saturday. Sunday morning I left the side panel off to take it out for a test drive just around the parking lot, then to the gas station for gas and rechecked all fluids, all good. After all that I put it the road test where I rode here hard and braked even harder trying to get her to fail. I'm here to say that not only does it work but that it feels sooooo good too. Just think, I saved over 1300 dollars plus labor and learned a whole punch about this misterios Integral brake system.
post #10 of 11 Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Glad you got it licked. I know the product you are talking about - it is like JB Weld on steroids!!! I have used it to make one-off mil spec connector mates for tests. Mixed a big piece of it once - though it was going to ignite it got so hot. Hope it holds up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #11 of 11 Old Sep 12th, 2006, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Hermes
How I have to say that reading this site had me believe all sorts of things that just weren't true about Integral braking system of this LT. First of all it's not a sealed system, .
Why do you say its not a sealed system? With the exception of the caps of the reservoirs, the system is sealed.

I am glad you were able to fix your pump and hope the bond holds.

I think I had the same bad seal as you. I didn't have the time to remove the modulator myself (had to get to CCR), so I had to write a really big check.

Continued good luck with yours.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in