Changed my rear tire ... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Changed my rear tire ...

Yeah, I know a lot of you already do this, but this was a big step for me ...

Changed my rear tire last year with the help of a local buddy - we had some difficulties, but got her done.

This AM, I did it all my self. I have the HarborFreight mounted to a board (8"x2") basically in the shape of a cross - I have to be able to slide it out of the way. I have the NoMar bar and their lubricant. That's all I used and all I needed.

Long story short - with the NoMar bar and their lubricant, it was a piece of cake. Balancing actually took longer than it did to get the rear tires demounted/mounted.

Thank goodness it was a bit cooler this AM in the garage - in and out before it started warming up...

At least it kept my mind off not going to CCR - one of these days (I hope)...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 1:25 pm

Hey, Bud - an 'atta-boy' and a 'good on ya', up your way. Man, you're one up on me. Need any more practice, I'll ship my next set of tires to Bartlesville and stop off at your place on my way to Mom's and letcha have at it.

Had breakfast with a bunch of fine folks this morning, over in Blanco at the Sunset Cafe. Doing good with all the chatter about thangs 'other' than CCR. Musta been about 20+ folks, so plenty to talk with. On the way out the door, I saw Chuck Wetzel (IBMWR guru) out on the porch and we shook hands; he sez "hey, why aren't you in GA"?? Good thang his coffee mug wuz empty!!

BTW - 'tween Edgar and Monte and Dave and Bert and me, I got 'bout a dozen tires stored down at the storage unit. I figger when one of us needs a set, we'll all need one and we can have a 'tire tech' session. Somebody has a Marc Parns(SP?) unit, I think, so hopefully, I'll get to watch a homegrown tire change. May ping ya for some advise and encouragement. Thanks for sharing, Shawn. BTW - you put in the metal valve stems??

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
Yeah, I know a lot of you already do this, but this was a big step for me ...

Changed my rear tire last year with the help of a local buddy - we had some difficulties, but got her done.

This AM, I did it all my self. I have the HarborFreight mounted to a board (8"x2") basically in the shape of a cross - I have to be able to slide it out of the way. I have the NoMar bar and their lubricant. That's all I used and all I needed.

Long story short - with the NoMar bar and their lubricant, it was a piece of cake. Balancing actually took longer than it did to get the rear tires demounted/mounted.

Thank goodness it was a bit cooler this AM in the garage - in and out before it started warming up...

At least it kept my mind off not going to CCR - one of these days (I hope)...
post #3 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 3:38 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Hey Dick I have two new Metz's sittin in the garage ready to go on whenever you are ready for a tech session. have tires will travel
BTW it was a great turnout this mornin I was very pleased

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 7 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 4:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn
Hey Dick I have two new Metz's sittin in the garage ready to go on whenever you are ready for a tech session. have tires will travel
BTW it was a great turnout this mornin I was very pleased
Yeppir, Steve - y'all did good once agin. I expecially liked the entertainment portion --- Jeff tryin' to eat a three-stack of pancakes that woulda been a meal for 6 people. What wuz he thinkin'?!?! Course, I didn't do much better by orderin' a two-stack. I shoulda had 'em just leave the remains on the table and I'da come back over and finished it off for lunch!!!

Hope Dolph got some good pix with that really nice camera he had. You do get to filter 'em before he publishes 'em, right??

Hey, Richard - you missed a great breakfast this morning. We'da done your birthday celebration up right, and maybe we wouldn'a had so much leftovers!! And if you're in town next week-end, I'm workin' up the particulars for some chicken arms destruction at Hooters in Killeen. Stay tuned early in the week.
post #5 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 11:53 am

I can see myself doing my own tires. I was looking at a balancer recently. What is a Harborfreight? Where did you get the Nomar bar?

Thanks.

Ron
post #6 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 5:31 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Ron: Harbor Freight is a tool company that sells inexpensive tools as for the Nomar bar I think they also sell it too

Stevie Shreeve
post #7 of 7 Old Aug 27th, 2006, 6:09 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistral
I can see myself doing my own tires. I was looking at a balancer recently. What is a Harborfreight? Where did you get the Nomar bar?

Thanks.

Ron
Ron,

For a balancer I used a Marc Parnes balancer and two jack stands... http://www.marcparnes.com/

I ordered my NoMar bar here -- http://www.nomartirechanger.com ...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in