Has my BMW charger died? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:33 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy Has my BMW charger died?

I've got a 2004 LT with the gel battery. I keep the BMW charger on the bike all the time I am not using it. The unit is about 1.5 yrs. old. This afternoon I arrived to find " no green light"...not even a red one! I checked the wall socket..it's OK..I reinstalled the plug into the bike...nothing. Did the charger have a heart attack. My bike cranked fine and the battery seems to be OK. Any thoughts. And if it is the charger, where do you send it to have it fixed? I didn't see any warranty in the BMW bubble pack. Thanks, Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:21 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlray
I've got a 2004 LT with the gel battery. I keep the BMW charger on the bike all the time I am not using it. The unit is about 1.5 yrs. old. This afternoon I arrived to find " no green light"...not even a red one! I checked the wall socket..it's OK..I reinstalled the plug into the bike...nothing. Did the charger have a heart attack. My bike cranked fine and the battery seems to be OK. Any thoughts. And if it is the charger, where do you send it to have it fixed? I didn't see any warranty in the BMW bubble pack. Thanks, Ron
Hi, Ron - if the op-manual for the charger doesn't say anythang about a possible fuse blowing in the unit, and no one else here has a solution, then I'd do the following.

I think Deltran outta Florida makes the BMW branded battery charger. They are the manufacturers of the Deltran Battery Tender and Battery Tender Plus. You might give them a call and describe your symptoms and see if they have any experience with that problem. I believe we have a web-link in the accessories pages for Deltran/Battery Tender. Good luck.
post #3 of 4 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:50 pm

I'm going to add insult to injury: Deltran offers a 10 year warranty and BMW only offers 12 months

post #4 of 4 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 6:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronlray
Can't really speak to your BMW charger, but if it's anything like the Battery Tender or Battery Tender Jr. you should take a look at the connector for the cord extension. I've had both the in line plug quit making contact (simply pry the male side open enough to make contact), & the BMW adaptor fail (it unscrews & you can re-fasten the loose wire). In every case I got either a steady green, or no light at all.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in