5Likes
  • 3 Post By Lynn_Keen
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By funrider

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:08 am Thread Starter

Please HELP New to Me K1200LT in Memphis

LT Community,
I thought I had over researched this bike! I finally found an 05 yellow metallic LT with 32k miles, well equipped...and I thought I knew how to ride and keep the bike upright! I rode it from Dallas, Tx, to Memphis. I dropped it on the right at the FIRST gas stop, and once on the left just a moment ago, in front of the restaurant the FIRST time I gave my wife a ride...Please HELP me to learn this fabulous riding machine that I just bought and in less than 24 hours have dropped twice!!! I would like to meet with a member to learn this bike!

In addition, the dealer knew nothing about the KLT, so I would like to learn how to operate the bike beyond what I read in the online operators manual; I would like some real world stuff. Ultimately, I need a friend in Memphis, Tn!

Sincerely,

Robert
917.202.6878-cell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 1:28 am
cws

Garage
Re: Please HELP New to Me K1200LT in Memphis

too far away to give a real lesson, but.... you gotta remember to put your feet down when you stop!

Don't stress too much, they all go down sooner or later... you're just getting your drops out of the way sooner.
Being a top-heavy bike once it starts to go, let it go, that's what the side protectors are for.
Have you looked at Kirk's videos here? Lot's of good info for new owners.
(seems to be an issue with the links? Try
on youtube)
Hopefully someone is close by to you to give you a hand... enjoy the new ride (there's no doubt you will!)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 8:35 am Thread Starter

Thank you for your response!...and I would ride to Australia for a real world lesson! I do truly like the ride of the LT, but not the Corbin seat! It is not the seat for me for an iron butt ride...painful...but that's a topic for an aftermarket seat thread!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen, please respond, text, call, pm, forum reply...

Thank you LT Community in advance,

"Funrider"
Robert

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 8:47 am

Make sure your front wheel is straight ahead before touching brakes!!

later..Randy

2006 LT
Magnesium Shwarz Metalic
Bountiful, Utah
post #5 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 9:21 am
Lifetime Supporter

+1 You have also probably figured out that the brakes are very powerful, a light touch is all that's usually needed.

Motor On ,/'

post #6 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:46 am

You don't indicate how much, or little, riding experience you have? Have you ever had any formal training? Perhaps either a Basic MSF Rider Course or an Experienced Rider course, depending on you level of experience, would be a great investment.
patrick2000, Notahog and Leboyd like this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #7 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:58 pm

I have dropped my 07 three times in 8 years. The first most important thing to do and I can't stress this enough is to always look straight ahead, do not look down when stopping. Second is to always look, think and plan ahead where you will stop and park. Do not make quick moves, keep the front wheel straight when using the brake at slow speeds. It is better to drive past your intended parking area and make your turn in a larger unobstructed area then to try and do a quick 180. I have missed turns and road a couple miles down the road to find an easy place to turn around. Avoid gravel, sand or any surface where footing is compromised. Always sit on bike when taking it off or putting on center stand. Try to avoid off camber stops and parking spots. If you have to stop at an uphill or off camber stop keep the bike stopped with the rear brake which keeps the throttle hand free to just throttle and make sure you always use enough power to get it going without stalling as a stall is most likely a fall. As you ride you will get to know the bikes likes and dis-likes, gain confidence and be able to avoid most issues.

Good luck and safe riding.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 12:59 pm

As others have eluded to, when you come to a stop, make sure you do so with the front wheel straight. I also dropped my 2001LT twice within a week of getting it so there are those LT owners who have and those who will, it is not a matter of IF. Do not be afraid to put your feet down early and make sure you don't have any lean and keep the front straight. That is even more important 2up. If your passenger doesn't know how to ride on the bike, make sure they do not lean or they will take the bike down with you along. They need to stay upright in line with the bike at all times. If you can't flat foot at a stop, you are at a disadvantage and need to find a way to correct that or you will have less chance of keeping it upright. They are top heavy and as stated, if it starts to go, just get out of the way and worry about getting it up by the method in the tips and tricks video for how to lift an LT.

There is nothing wrong with you that a little experience with the bike won't fix and they are wonderful machines so don't get discouraged because you dropped it. Set the side stand down then turn the bars to the left or right and lean the bike to the left and try and bring it back up so you get a feel for the small amount of lean that you can have at a stand still. It is just slightly more than the stand will allow before you get into no mans land. Then keep it from leaning and keep the wheel straight.

I usually back out of my garage with the side stand down and back circle to the left easing on my front brake so it doesn't go down on me.

I may get some negative feedback on this process but I also use my side stand to allow my rider to mount but I do not allow the full weight to be taken by the stand. I hold the bike up and let that be a safety. Once she is on, I right and straighten the bike, up the stand and move out. I use the same method for her dismount. Just don't let all the weight of her mounting and the bike be taken by the stand. It isn't made for that much load but it can prevent another nap time.

It takes a little time to get used to the bike and how to keep it rubber side down at a stop but it is worth the learning curve as they are truly a pleasure to ride.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #9 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 2:07 pm

I always use the rear brake only, just before the complete stop. That way if the front wheel is turned just a bit, all the light braking will be on the rear wheel dragging the bike to a whoa.
It takes a lot of practice and paying attention as you stop.

I plan for a stop just like I did driving a tractor-trailer truck. You just can't ride into a place w/o knowing how you'll get out.

I did most of my drops in the first 6 months on an LT. I guess I'm a bit thick headed.

Hang in there.
vern

Last edited by vernvernvern; Jul 13th, 2015 at 2:09 pm. Reason: no signature
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 8:06 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

One other note when stopping for fuel, kill the engine in first gear with the side stand. Then roll forward to take up drive line slack before parking on the stand. This pig will roll off the side stand on the slightest incline if you don't. Never leave it running on the side stand if you are off the bike. Also fill the tank on the side stand only.

You are free to do as you please but I recommend putting in some serious miles on this bike before you go 2 up again. Also keep the revs up on the old girl - you did not say what bike you were coming from but - first gear is good to 62 MPH. Shift above 3-4,000 RPM always. Don't be in 5th unless you are steady state on the interstate. When you are ready ride on over to Alabama and I'll show you how to take her apart!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 9:49 pm

Robert, there is a TON of good info already in this thread. This should be collected and added to our Hall of Wisdom on this site.

I don't have anything to add advice-wise, but I'm at Fort Knox, KY - 350 miles and 5 1/2 hours from Memphis. If you want to meet up for lunch or something I could meet you, say, in Nashville, some weekend. There are certainly LT riders closer to you than I am, but the offer is there.

My favorite tips from the posts above: always stop with the front wheel straight, and get some serious miles on it before taking a passenger.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:01 pm

Thumbs up Re: Please HELP New to Me K1200LT in Memphis

Gas station stops: Start looking early for oil spots people often spill oil or their cages leak some spots. Either rolling a tire thru oil or putting your foot down in oil can be hazardous & potentially embarrassing.

I recently rolled into a fuel stop & didn't notice spilled oil until off the bike. Nearly rolled thru it. Tire barely missed it. Alarmed me at first because the spot was directly under engine & I thought it had came from my bike. Had to carefully reverse keeping front tire out of it. If you roll thru an oil spill, carefully stop the bike & clean it off tire(s) with something. I usually carry a small bottle of water with a strong solution of dish soap for hand cleaning if I get grease on my hands on the roadside. That'll clean a tire nicely.

Bob

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:58 pm Thread Starter

Wow.
Thank you, again for the responses.
I have been riding since 1980. I have ridden,and own, or owned:
1980 Yamaha Exciter 250
1970 Honda CB350
1977 Honda CB400
1977 Honda CB750K
1985 Yamaha Virago 400
1975 Yamaha RD350
1987 Yamaha FZ700
1988 Honda Hurricane CBR1000
1997 Yamaha YZF 1000F Thunder Ace
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX1200
2006 Honda VTX1300C
2014 Harley Davidson Electra Glide Ultra Classic
More tips are appreciated, and still would like to meet a KLT rider in Memphis, TN!...&
hschisler I will have to meet you in Nashville one weekend for sure!
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 14th, 2015, 3:45 am

I guess tar snakes in hot weather makes a decent tip. I've heard a few LT riders report a tire washing out briefly when encountering a hot tar snake during acceleration. On such a heavy bike, that could scare the chiclets out of you. Gotta respect the bike wt & the tar snakes.

I agree about logging some miles one-up. Your pillion will thank you.

2005 KLT Graphite Gray
2003 F650GS Black
*Too slow for fast women
*A little adventure is good for the soul
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 19th, 2015, 12:51 pm Thread Starter

LT Community,

I took the bike out for a ride and rode 200 miles and ended up in Nashville! I do enjoy riding the LT!!! I once again, do not like the Corbin seat. So now I must find a new seat or question Corbin if they can add some foam, or gel, or both, since nobody will add foam to a non stock seat, as result of the seat pan. I am heading back to Memphis after I say hello to family! I will update the return ride.
Thanks Again,

Robert
funrider
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 19th, 2015, 11:31 pm

Since I'm inseam challenged on the LT so I prep each stop by sliding forward on the seat and put both legs/feet down at the same time to help balance the stop. Find a neighborhood that has wide streets and at low travel times spend some time stopping, starting and turning both ways to get used to handling the beast. Practice builds confidence. Good luck.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 20th, 2015, 7:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrider View Post
LT Community,

I took the bike out for a ride and rode 200 miles and ended up in Nashville! I do enjoy riding the LT!!! I once again, do not like the Corbin seat. So now I must find a new seat or question Corbin if they can add some foam, or gel, or both, since nobody will add foam to a non stock seat, as result of the seat pan. I am heading back to Memphis after I say hello to family! I will update the return ride.
Thanks Again,

Robert
funrider
I do not know how long you have had this bike, but give the Corbin seat a chance. I have one on my 02 and I love it. You have to ride on it enough to break it in to your butt. If you have your stock seat, you might want to give "Mean City Cycle" a chance to redo your stock seat or your Corbin seat. They are located in NC and you can find them on the internet. I have used them several times in the past and was pleased with their work.
post #18 of 18 Old Jul 20th, 2015, 8:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by funrider View Post
LT Community,

Thanks Again,

Robert
funrider
I'll bet you can find someone to trade seats with ya.

As far as the drops, most has been said above. As a previous owner, it took me about 1,000 miles to start to get comfortable on my 02 LT. Biggest thing for me was to think about each stop and focus. Don't look at your feet, but, watch what is where you will place them. Don't get fatigued!!! Being hot, thirsty and tired is a formula for another drop.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in