5Likes
  • 1 Post By norton
  • 1 Post By 2006lt
  • 2 Post By saddleman
  • 1 Post By red85k100rs

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 12:47 pm Thread Starter

Question Temperature of FD

Took a ride with SO for about three hours this morning. Temps in the low 80's. When I got back I took my infrared temp gauge and the temps on the bottom of the FD was 133F, the middle was 134F and the top of the FD was 135F. For shits and giggles I also checked the Crankcase cover and the valve cover. Both were around 155F. Someone here mentioned that there is a way to check if the FD was in distress by putting your hand on it. If you had to pull it off immediately that was not good but if you could hold your hand there for awhile that it was OK. That temperature testing method was pretty subjective. For instance Saddleman probably doesn't wear welding gloves because his hands are like leather, compared to my supple pink well manicured girl hands that an ice cube would burn me. So I'm curious what actual temp would be considered normal. If enough people can check their FD's temp and post those we may be able to determine a target temp that says your FD is OK and then also a temp rise target that indicates your FD is on the way out.
What are your thoughts on this or is it a waste of time.
Patric likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 4:36 pm

Re: Temperature of FD

I don't know exactly what temp is acceptable. However the PO of my bike had the FD rebuilt and had a temperate warning light installed. According to the notes on the bike, the light is suppose to light at 137F.

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #3 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 5:11 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Not a really good indicator except for a short ride. I have tire/wheel temps on the order of 168 for the rear (SmarTire unit give temps) in the summer. This can easily transfer to the drive through the wheel. Best preventative is frequent oil changes (same as engine) and monitor the oil for shiny stuff (bearing) and darkness (aluminum from spinning bearing).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 5:21 pm

Just returned from a 2,250 mile trip to CO. Air temps were as high as 98F, which was lower than I expected. The warning light never flickered. So, to me it seems 137F is "hot" for an FD.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #5 of 33 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 7:20 pm

I had a ride from Cleveland, OH to Idaho, one year, and had 113 degrees to North Dakota. The FD, on my 99 LT, had 30,000 miles on it, at the time. On my return trip home, Cleveland, 100 miles from home, the FD gave out. One could relate the temperature to the failure or just say it was a coincident. Not having a temp. gauge at the time, I do not have the actual temperature, though.

71 Triumph 650 - 30,000 miles
76 Suzuki GT750 - 40,000 miles
85 1200cc Suzuki Madura - 107,000 miles
86 1200cc Yamaha Venture - 60,000 miles
99 BMW K1200LT - 158,000 (Sold)
09 BMW K1200LT -41,399 miles (and counting)
post #6 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 1:45 am

I did the Saddleman test after an hour ride. Got cool enough that I needed a lite jacket on the way home. Everything was hot back there but I was able to hold onto to the final drive for several seconds. No leather on my hands. Annual fluid changes regardless of the millage just to keep an eye on it.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #7 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 9:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Not a really good indicator except for a short ride. I have tire/wheel temps on the order of 168 for the rear (SmarTire unit give temps) in the summer. This can easily transfer to the drive through the wheel. Best preventative is frequent oil changes (same as engine) and monitor the oil for shiny stuff (bearing) and darkness (aluminum from spinning bearing).
+1 John, don't obsess over the final drive, just ride and have fun.

Worrying about it won't keep it from failing, just do like John says as far as maintenance goes and enjoy.

later...Randy
Father Time likes this.

2006 LT
Magnesium Shwarz Metalic
Bountiful, Utah
post #8 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 11:53 am

Hi, after my last FD repair I put an external temp sensor on it. Last week, and this is after ~1000 km after repair, I rode for about 130 miles on a tough tempo like 120 m/h, the max temp I read was 134 F.
I can tel I pushed my LT hard but I needed to see how it does. Amb temp was ~80 F.
post #9 of 33 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 1:32 pm

I recently took a 2up ride on my 2001 and when I got back, tried the hand test and it was hot enough that I didn't want to keep my hand on it for more than 2 seconds. I don't have a IR gauge in my tool set yet but it was hotter than I think I would like it to be. I have purchased the crown bearing and seal and am going to do a preemptive rebuild in the next couple weeks. I have no maintenance records from PO's so it could easily be an original bearing with 52K and in the questionable range for date and milage. Thanks to CharlieVT for the PM's and his video of the process or I may not have decided to undertake it on my own. I am going to try and take some good pictures as it isn't a failure yet with measurements done by the Dman process and see if it comes out to be over shimmed or in the proper range. At least it will give me peace of mind on the FD status.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2015, 6:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post

+++++ 1 Your right,I have ALOT of miles on the same FD. Do the oil changes and ride on. keep the rubber side down.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #11 of 33 Old Jul 14th, 2015, 7:13 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post
Just returned from a 2,250 mile trip to CO. Air temps were as high as 98F, which was lower than I expected. The warning light never flickered. So, to me it seems 137F is "hot" for an FD.
I don't recall exact figures now, but I believe the 18 wheelers I used to drive ran 160 F and higher quite routinely. I wouldn't worry much about 137 or even 150.

Then again, I think most LT FD bearings fail due to fatigue from too high a preload and not due to friction (sliding motion between parts), so I am not at all convinced that FD temp is a good condition indicator for an LT final drive. Maybe for the small bearing spinning failure, but not the large bearing failure.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #12 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 5:55 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
keep the rubber side down.

Zeke
Great words: Keep the rubber side down!!!
post #13 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 6:03 am

Gentlemen, whatever we say, BMW failed on this FD but they got away and never recalled to pay off their mistake. Their design failed. Why they did not use a two row bearing to cover the loads on the FD initially?

A buyer here in Greece suffered so much that can't be told. I will try to locate his story in the blog I saw it time ago and give you the main point of failures he had to suffer on an LT.
post #14 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 7:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikosK1200LT View Post
Gentlemen, whatever we say, BMW failed on this FD but they got away and never recalled to pay off their mistake. Their design failed. Why they did not use a two row bearing to cover the loads on the FD initially?

A buyer here in Greece suffered so much that can't be told. I will try to locate his story in the blog I saw it time ago and give you the main point of failures he had to suffer on an LT.
I would not say BMW failed on this FD. BMW failed in putting this FD on LT. Same FD works OK in lighter K- & R-bikes.

Born to be wild so why not

post #15 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
I would not say BMW failed on this FD. BMW failed in putting this FD on LT. Same FD works OK in lighter K- & R-bikes.
Yes, the evidence is pretty good that the K1200LT final drive failures are a result of machining and assembly errors. The problems are not an engineering/design issue.
post #16 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 10:07 am Thread Starter

The thing that pisses me off is all the other engineering failures that vehicle manufacturers get away with because they don't qualify as a hazard. We pay through the nose to have those corrected out of pocket if not picked up under warranty, which seems to be the norm. Unfortunately brand loyalty is not what it use to be because very few manufacturers truly stand behind their product anymore. We tend to stay with the products that causes us the least issues. With instant feedback on the internet, companies need to pay close attention to reviews because many are swayed by them. I always write reviews on products that do not measure up. Again the arrogant bastards make so much profit anyway they continue on sticking it to the consumer.

Sorry my rant was on.

Scott
2007 LT
post #17 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 12:00 pm

The nuances of BMW motorcycles (and cars) is not 15 years old or less. I don't recall BMW ever being known for reliability. Why in the world would we expect it now or expect them to "stand behind" their product? If you bought a BMW, you should expect interesting (and expensive times).

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #18 of 33 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 5:32 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
I have repaired several other model bikes with the same style FD that failed just like the LT's did.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #19 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I have repaired several other model bikes with the same style FD that failed just like the LT's did.
We probably don't have data on this but has anyone who does these rebuilds keep track of what shims were in the FD before the rebuild?

Just wondering if someone at an assembly plant decide that to save time, the average shim we use is say for argument sake, .6mm and we will just put that in all of them and that will save time on assembly?

If a large number all had the same shim and were over shimmed......

Hind sight is always 20-20. Would not make any difference now but if we had that data, it may show a pattern of possible assembly without the actual measurement having been taken leading to this early failure trend.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #20 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 2:16 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
We probably don't have data on this but has anyone who does these rebuilds keep track of what shims were in the FD before the rebuild?

Just wondering if someone at an assembly plant decide that to save time, the average shim we use is say for argument sake, .6mm and we will just put that in all of them and that will save time on assembly?

If a large number all had the same shim and were over shimmed......

Hind sight is always 20-20. Would not make any difference now but if we had that data, it may show a pattern of possible assembly without the actual measurement having been taken leading to this early failure trend.
I bet CharlieVT and Saddleman both have records.

Personally, I think anything is possible, but this is an unlikely scenario. I would suspect the following as the more likely causes:

1. Workers not properly trained or competent for this procedure.

2. One or more assembly fixtures or tools that were a little out of spec.

3. Improper specs provided to manufacturing from engineering.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #21 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 3:28 pm
Enjoy The Ride

The factory shims vary a lot.
Notahog and bmwcoolk1200 like this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #22 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 3:52 pm

Quote:
The factory shims vary a lot.
If that is the case, then it is down to what Voyager said. Was curious on that bit of data. Thanks for responding Dave.

Any tips on crown replacement as I plan on doing mine next week preemptively other than driving it up to you when I fail ?

Watched CharlyVT's video and it looks straight forward enough and I have the tools for it. Peace of mind replacement as I ride 2 up most of the time on what is likely original and 52K, hoping I see no other issues inside. Asking because on several occasions you have quoted having a large number of hours spent on a single final drive.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #23 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 7:31 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
If that is the case, then it is down to what Voyager said. Was curious on that bit of data. Thanks for responding Dave.

Any tips on crown replacement as I plan on doing mine next week preemptively other than driving it up to you when I fail ?

Watched CharlyVT's video and it looks straight forward enough and I have the tools for it. Peace of mind replacement as I ride 2 up most of the time on what is likely original and 52K, hoping I see no other issues inside. Asking because on several occasions you have quoted having a large number of hours spent on a single final drive.
If you are confident it is still the original crown bearing I would just replace it. If you don't know the history of the FD I would recommend a rebuild.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #24 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 7:59 pm

A Saddleman rebuilt drive is the best peace of mind. On my way to Billings for the National, no worries other than other drivers.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #25 of 33 Old Jul 17th, 2015, 11:34 pm

Quote:
If you are confident it is still the original crown bearing I would just replace it. If you don't know the history of the FD I would recommend a rebuild.
I have no mechanical history on this bike. I see evidence that it was maintained pretty well but there is no warranty history of it being done so I will have to wait till I get the cover off to know if there is any abnormal wear or issues. I will inspect it carefully and if a rebuild is warranted, I may need some better procedures to accomplish that. I have the BMW manual and the Clymer however, I have never set up a ring and pinion before for the proper contact pattern and experience counts in that area so I would consider having that done and all shimmed and set up properly with all new seals. Should I decide to go that route, I will contact you for scheduling and you are close enough for me to take a drive and drop it off if that would be agreeable. Plenty of antique shops along the way to make the drive worth it. I will know when the covers are split.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #26 of 33 Old Jun 19th, 2017, 9:59 pm

I just measured 51degC and could hold my hand on middle (driveshaft area) for a few seconds. I thought it was pretty hot! (124degF) that was 45min two-up ride 3/4 thru city.
post #27 of 33 Old Jun 20th, 2017, 10:40 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude View Post
I just measured 51degC and could hold my hand on middle (driveshaft area) for a few seconds. I thought it was pretty hot! (124degF) that was 45min two-up ride 3/4 thru city.
I am not sure what is normal for an LT, but when I drove OTR trucks, 160 F was common to see in rear diffs and on a 100 F day pulling a long hill, 200+ wasn't unheard of. I think most gear oils are good for at least 240.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #28 of 33 Old Jun 21st, 2017, 5:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post
The nuances of BMW motorcycles (and cars) is not 15 years old or less. I don't recall BMW ever being known for reliability.
Really?
My 85 k100rs I got with 60k miles 20 years ago, currently the plus side of 350k. The most dependable and reliable motorcycle I have ever owned! and I have owned most of them
Regular maintenance, a few water/oil pumps, and speedometers, cables, brakes, and tires.. lots of tires .

I guess I got lucky
Notahog likes this.
post #29 of 33 Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 9:43 pm

After 875kms on rebuilt FD its leaking oil. I'm trying to determine if it's the bearing seal or the breather thingy on the top of the FD that's the source of the leak. Wiped it all off and check again.
post #30 of 33 Old Jul 2nd, 2017, 10:50 pm

Quote:
After 875kms on rebuilt FD its leaking oil. I'm trying to determine if it's the bearing seal or the breather thingy on the top of the FD that's the source of the leak. Wiped it all off and check again.
Who rebuilt it and what method did you use to do the shimming? Hopefully, it is just over full and blowing out the top. 875kms is about 550 miles ( unless reading that wrong). Not a lot of miles to cause another failure unless it was grossly over shimmed. Can you detect any play in the rear wheel that can't be attributed to the pivot bearings?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #31 of 33 Old Jul 3rd, 2017, 11:09 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by red85k100rs View Post
Really?
My 85 k100rs I got with 60k miles 20 years ago, currently the plus side of 350k. The most dependable and reliable motorcycle I have ever owned! and I have owned most of them
Regular maintenance, a few water/oil pumps, and speedometers, cables, brakes, and tires.. lots of tires .

I guess I got lucky
That was back when BMW focused on relatively simple, reliable machines. When they got on the technology bandwagon in the 90s, reliability was no longer a priority. I am no Luddite. I spent my entire career in engineering and R&D at a Fortune 500 company, but I also know that with proper engineering and manufacturing you can have reliable technology.

I owned three Kawasaki bikes from a 1973 100 to a 1987 Voyager XII. They were quite reliable and required little maintenance (hydraulic lifters are VERY smart on a touring bike engine). I got my LT after Kawasaki dropped the real Voyager line and moved to the Harley wannabe Vulcan Voyager. The LT is a superb machine from a comfort and performance perspective, but is a maintenance and reliability nightmare. Annual brake fluid flushes. Really? Removal of fuel tank to access relays and air filter. Seriously? Bucket style valve adjustments that take several hours of labor and typically at least a week waiting on parts? And that is ignoring the serious flaws like FD, transmission input bearing, clutch slave, dry clutch that doesn't stay dry, weak trunk latch, and on and on. If a bike even close to the LT in comfort and performance is released, I will switch in a heart beat ... especially if a Japanese name is on the tank!

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

post #32 of 33 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 12:18 pm

Hmmm... well Shail's BMW rebuilt it 4yrs ago... however, I noticed lots of oil around the breather on top so I cleaned all the oil off it, drained, refilled fresh oil. Popped the breather off, cleaned. Rotated so little hole faced outward.

Got to work this morning no leak. WEIRD! I'll be keeping my eye on it that's for sure.

Quote:
Who rebuilt it and what method did you use to do the shimming? Hopefully, it is just over full and blowing out the top. 875kms is about 550 miles ( unless reading that wrong). Not a lot of miles to cause another failure unless it was grossly over shimmed. Can you detect any play in the rear wheel that can't be attributed to the pivot bearings?

2001 K1200LT mods incl 300w 10" subwoofer rear box, Clarion marine stereo, HID low beam, clear front signals w/led lighting, Motolights fork spotlights, LED taillight bulbs. Got it bent from accident PO and replaced rear subframe and other bits.
1994 Suzuki Intruder 1400 custom bars, corbin seat, HID headlight, LED tail, 6sigma jet kit, cobra exhaust, HD clutch springs. Rescued from rotting under a tree.
2004 Suzuki SV1000S double bubble windscreen, Yoshimura RS3 pipes no baffle, frame sliders, Michelin pilot powers, LED signals. This is Humpty Dumpty... when she falls over (crash) I fix her up again. Rebuilt from writeoff PO crashed. Complete front fairing and rear subrame rebuild.
2007 Suzuki SV650 naked with yoshimura RS3 exhaust, frame sliders. This is the wife's bike.
Owner at
post #33 of 33 Old Jul 4th, 2017, 6:15 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Hmmm... well Shail's BMW rebuilt it 4yrs ago... however, I noticed lots of oil around the breather on top so I cleaned all the oil off it, drained, refilled fresh oil. Popped the breather off, cleaned. Rotated so little hole faced outward.

Got to work this morning no leak. WEIRD! I'll be keeping my eye on it that's for sure.
How much oil did you put in? You want to fill with 220 ml. Do not fill to the bottom of the fill hole as with most gearboxes. This will leave insufficient expansion room.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in