Performance Chip - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 5:10 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Performance Chip

I was on eBay and noticed a listing for a performance chip.

NEW PERFORMANCE JOHN'S TUNING CHIP FOR POWER BMW MOTO K1200 LT -GT -RS

I have a 2000 LT that has always hesitated. I've unplugged the temp sensor and cut the brown wire which helped improve it but I still notice it. I was thinking something like this performance chip might make a difference.

Has anyone tried this chip. It certainly sounds pretty good.

< - - - Norm Ruest - - - >

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
South Florida
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2000 K1200 LTC Canyon Red
MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 5:45 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Performance Chip

His chip won't work in a 2000 LT computer.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #3 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 6:48 pm

I don't think that the 2000 LT had a brown wire to cut.
Am I wrong here?
Might want to check that.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 6:59 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
I don't think that the 2000 LT had a brown wire to cut.
Am I wrong here?
Might want to check that.
You are correct Rand, The only year LT's that had the brown wire you could cut were the USA model 2002 to 2004.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 9:42 pm

Have a 2000 with a brown wire cut. When I first got the bike I had a ex BMW mechanic looked over the bike and he pointed it out to me and he also said the air box sensor was unplugged and he plugged her back in. I'm going to recheck that brown wire thing and get back with you on that one. I had the hesitation problems at first and sea foam cured that. Just my two cents and there are better minds out then mine for info.

Last edited by Moogie; Jul 9th, 2015 at 9:49 pm.
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Garage

You may be correct on the brown wire. I know it was an item to check and since I've had the bike for 8 years I may not remember correctly. But disconnecting the temp sensor made a huge difference and during one dealer service, the connector got plugged back in and the hesitation was pretty bad. It took me a few weeks to remember the connector and disconnecting it again made a huge difference. It still has a slight hesitation the makes slow maneuvers a bit more difficult, it a major difference from what it was with the temp sensor plugged in.

But know I've tried all the suggested changes so I was thinking that the performance chip could be the answer. You seem sure that "His chip won't work in a 2000 LT computer."

South Florida

MOA# 145086

“Its unexplained, because they haven’t explained it. Maybe they could explain it, but they've tried and they can't, because it's unexplainable.” - Ruest
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 9:40 pm Thread Starter

Garage

After doing the research again I found this in the Hall:

LTs produced up until July 2000 were equipped with an engine control module (Motronic) that was programmed from the factory with a single fuel/ignition map. One of the attributes of this map is the ability for the Motronic to react to high ambient air temperature by retarding ignition timing under certain circumstances to avoid pre-ignition (pinging). Unfortunately, this often occurs in low speed situations such as going around a corner in town and can cause the bike to hesitate or stumble at a critical time. This most often occurs when the outside temperature is above 85 °F and the engine is hot (such as stop-and-go traffic in the summer).

. . . . . Once you identify the correct brown wire, just cut it. This will activate the alternate map and away you go!

So my memory serves me well. . . this time.

South Florida

MOA# 145086

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in