Another windshield question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 4:48 pm Thread Starter

Another windshield question

I've read many of the posts in the past and people like and hate every windshield out there.

I'm 6', 2" inseam and my wife is 5'. When on the bike she cannot see over me.

The stock shield is fine all the way up, to about 20mph wind, although I prefer to look over the shield. However the buffeting at the lower level is rough on my wife.

Before I drop $250, I'd like input from others of similar size (driver and passenger) on what they use instead of the stock and what the hated (if they tried something they don't like) when crusing. It's not an issue around town, it's when we're out on the road.

If your +/-2" in my height or my wife's I'm not sure input would translate well for us.

Thanks,
Larry

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 7:17 pm

Re: Another windshield question

My LT came from the PO with a Cee Baileys #2 (reverse curve) that had been cut to 22".
We've found that to be a good shield for distance touring, however I'm 5'8" (Wife is 5'2") & the top of the shield was pretty much in my field of vision with it in the lowered position. We raise it half way at highway speed to keep the turbulence off Her head. (might work pretty good for you @ 6'2")

Recently I bought a CB #2, 20" tall, and I'm definitely looking over the shield now. The wind buffeting is not bad up to around 40 Mph.
After that the shield needs to go about half way up to keep the buffeting tolerable (solo) probably most of the way up with Pillion.

Either way...at higher speeds...I think looking through the shield is unavoidable.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2015, 7:27 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I really appreciate it. Just to be clear, I'm 6'0", so we're not that much different in height.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2015, 8:19 am Thread Starter

Does anyone in the south (hot areas) use the shields with wings? I assume they provide better protection from the wind, but are they simply too hot for 95F days?

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 10th, 2015, 10:00 am

I have the wings and find they are warmer then C Bailey without wings however, better winter and rain protection. Just rode in 95 heat 5 hour ride and with the lower wings open and shield a little further below line of site then normal I was Actualy ok head buffet not bad as I was using a shorty half helmet. The LT is a u inquest beast in that it has great cold weather protection but doesn't boil you even at low slow speed. Guess that Tupperware is good for something other then the looks and Aerodynamics! All in all I like the wings cause I like to do a lot of fall riding. Just recommend 4 inch off of standard as I have 2 inch and would like a lower screen when crusing on say Blue Ridge parkway and the minus 2 inch is way higher then needed for me in highest position. (6-1, 32 inch inseam)

Dave T
I did not live to work....I only worked to live! Retired and living life our way!

K1200LT (Calamity)
06 Concours
03 Wing
99 Kaw Voyager
Suz GS850 (10 years! Too good to go)
Suz GS750
Honda 750F & CL,XL 350

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in