IliumWorks SportBoards for LT? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

IliumWorks SportBoards for LT?

Does anyone use the IliumWorks SportBoards for the LT? I purchased the Suburban Machinery lowering kit, and while I LOVE the new position of the pegs, the design looks dangerous to me - it creates essentially a large lever that will cause the whole assembly to come up in the event of contact. I have already scraped the pegs a lot in normal riding my first week, and while I have not experienced the rear wheel "hop" alluded to by others, I know it will come when I least expect/want it to, perhaps with the wife on the back.

I have been looking at other solutions, and saw the IliumWorks SportBoards for the LT. Has anyone tried both these and the Suburban Machinery lowering kit? Are people that have the SportBoards happy with them on their LT? Does it have a similar behavior to the Suburban kit if they scrape too severely?

Thanks for your opinions.

OB

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Illum boards

I switched from the peg lowering kit to the Illum sportboards.You can't use both and yes they will both grind much earlier than stock pegs.I don't care though,since that's not my riding style,I never ground the lowered pegs and I haven't ground the sportboards either,however,if you're an aggresive rider,I'm sure you would.
post #3 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:43 pm

I have them on my '04 LT. First, order the right ones. The boards changed over the years so "one size" doesn't fit all. Order directly from them; they were very helpful. www.iliumworks.com
They will scrape sometimes on turns but that's what touch-up paint is for. They won't limit your riding. Three things I did that you should consider. After the boards were installed the rear brake lever was difficult to use. An extended rear brake lever (also at Ilium Works) made a huge difference. I also got the shift lever extention from them. Putting down the side stand becomes an art and for me, even though the sportboard lifts up and stays up, it was a hassle. I went to a welding fabricator and he was able to bend out the side stand arm to better clear the sportboard and made using it so much easier. Depending on your left foot positioning your toe may get a little "stuck" between the sportboard and shifter but that isn't a problem. I did purchase the articles as noted above and am very pleased with them. I just returned from an 11 day 9 state 3600 mile ride and the boards added tons to overall comfort.

post #4 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:55 pm

I switched from peg lowering to sportboards also, actually on Rich's recommendation. I love them. They make the bike much more comfortable. I have not scraped them, but I am not real aggressive. I have noticed that if I have my feet slid forward my toes sometimes touch on the curves. However I have a size 13 foot.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #5 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:59 pm

Boards

Hey Todd,I do the same thing with my size 12's.I've noticed for both braking and down-shifting I place my foot on the sport board bracket.They sure help in the comfort area.
post #6 of 11 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:00 pm

Switched to the Ilium sportboards a couple of years back and would not change back. Like the looks and comfort, have dragged them a couple of times but have no problem with it. You will probably need the shift extender and the brake lowering kit.
post #7 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 2:05 am

Could you guys with the sport boards say more about how they are more comfortable than the lowering kit? Do they allow your legs to stretch out more, or is it that you can move your feet around on them? I have wondered if the Mick-O-Pegs are my best option for knee cramping on those long days. Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 5:03 am Thread Starter

Great Feedback

Thanks guys,

This is great feedback. It's not that I am planning to grind the floorboards at every opportunity, it's just that I have noticed that I do scrape the pegs with the Suburban lowering kit installed, and I just don't like the design and how it locks the peg and extension arm together as a unit, that can swing up when least expected. I am hoping that the IliumWorks SportBoards will act differently, with the SportBoard able to pivot up like the std pegs in case of hard contact in a very aggressive turn.

Of course it sucks they cost 3x as much...

Bob OB
Sedona, AZ

'08 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic
post #9 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 7:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunderland
Could you guys with the sport boards say more about how they are more comfortable than the lowering kit? Do they allow your legs to stretch out more, or is it that you can move your feet around on them? I have wondered if the Mick-O-Pegs are my best option for knee cramping on those long days. Thanks for the help.
I find that being able to move my feet around makes a big difference. You can slide yoour feet forward and stretch your legs more than the peg lowering kit. I have not tried the mick-o-pegs but I hear they work really well for stretching out.

Bob, the sportboards do flip up.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #10 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:32 am

Thanks for the clarity re: comfort. Real good to hear how these rather expensive items work for others before buying
post #11 of 11 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 1:47 pm

Does anyone have a pic of the boards installed?? I checked the Illumworks web site but they don't show them on a bike..

Rich in Florida

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in