Blasphemy - Trailering an LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Blasphemy - Trailering an LT

Ok, Ok,

I know how much scrutiny I am subjecting myself to by admitting this publicly, but I am going to trailer my LT to CCR. Go ahead, unleash the fire and brimstone, let it rain for thirty days and thirty nights, and send the waves of locust.

You can call me whatever you like, but please tell me how the heck to tie this pig down!!!!!!!!!!! I am assuming that loops will be involved, and that tying to the handlebars is a no-no, but could someone make a suggestion as to a safe way of accomplishing the tie-down.

Now I'm sure that there are very few who have ever experienced a need to trailer this fine piece of machinery, but will the minuscule minority please chime in with how it is done.

Although it will just sound like an excuse, I am trailering at my wife's request. You see she has just started to enjoy riding two-up - just since I bought the LT 4 months ago - and I do not want to burn her out on a long trip that I do not believe that she is ready for, yet.

Thanking you all in advance for the suggestions, and for the ribbing that I will undoubtedly receive.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
Ok, Ok,
I know how much scrutiny I am subjecting myself to by admitting this publicly, but I am going to trailer my LT to CCR.
John
Heck... Raffy's got three LT's in his trailer.

When you get to CCR, stop in and ask Raffy to give you the grand tour. I had a glance inside and let me tell you, gettin' 3 of those thangs in that trailer was a feat of engineering.

BTW, my SO is only up to the 200 mile mark. Got a few more seasons to go before we do the true long distance work.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:32 pm

Trailering an LT !!!! Is it broke? The rear end?... yep. Definitly you have to trailer it. I once try to ride my with a broke rear and and it only ran for few yards...

OK. I have to trailer it once yes, on the above situation.
I always have under the rear trunk liner 4 soft straps (a 1' peace of strap, with loops in both ends)

2 goes on the front forks. Make a loop with the soft strap and then tie down with 2 regular straps.
If you can have some way to block the front well will be even better.

for the rear I loop the soft straps on the frame that is under the saddle bags. Just take a close look on your bike and you will see a 1/2" frame under each saddle bag. Loop there and then tie down with regular straps.

I will try to find a picture

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #4 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:32 pm

post #5 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:36 pm

I found a great explanation on our site FAQ
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?...lt_faq_tiedown

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

post #6 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:37 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Thanks Mark.

Notice the loop around the rear tire. That's another way to what Elton posted.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #7 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
Thanks Mark.

Notice the loop around the rear tire. That's another way to what Elton posted.
You gonna take those out at CCR, or leave them in the trailer.

That picture is worth a bunch of explanations. My compliments sir!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #8 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:43 pm

I know it's obvious, butt just for assurance --- don't use the sidestand nor the centerstand whilst trailering. Let the scoots suspension do the work. BTW, you using an enclosed trailer, or open bed?k I use U-Hauls bike-specific motorcycle trailer and they have a built in front wheel chock along with several bed tie-down locations, plus you can also use the trailer railings. The LT is too long to close up the tailgate ramp, butt they have a two-position locking location for the ramp. Great trailer; just leaves the bike out in the open for the bugs and kicked up road grime, so you'll prolly wanna ride the scoot thru the carwash when you get to GA!!
post #9 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:50 pm

Wheel chock?

Does your trailer have a front wheel chock? If yes, then the tie down is straight forward as other threads show. I just rented a toy hauler trailer and put my LT in it. No way I could mount a chock, and the bike didn't feel secure with just straps on the forks and rear frame. I knew I would be going over some uneven roads and fields. I stole an idea from someone else on this list (that also sells them) and made a bar that attaches to the frame under the seat, and run straps to that. I could do a barrel roll with that trailer and my bike wouldn't budge. I can give you the tiedown info if you need it.
post #10 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Dick,

Is it really 109 in Boerne today? I am on business in Vancouver BC, and the high the last two days was 74 degrees. I feel like I have gone to heaven, but alas, I must return to Texas tomorrow to the heat of Hell. Thanks for the suggestion, have you ever covered the bike while trailering, or would this just beat the tar out of it?

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

post #11 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:02 pm Thread Starter

THANKS TO ALL RESPONDANTS -

Once again I am amazed at rapidity of the members to aid a newbie inflicted with ignorance. Thank you all for the posts, and for the reminders of those posted in the archives. I will have to remember to look there before I ask.

- THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU - THANK YOU -

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

post #12 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 6:15 pm

BMW LT Tie down procedure

Here is the "official" tie down positions document from BMW

All you need is 4 straps and a front wheel chock, angle the front straps slightly forward to pull the bike into the chock. The back straps slightly backward trying to keep the bike front moving either direction. Also put it in gear.

On some bikes we strap the front wheel to the chock.

Over 100 bikes hauled 30,000 miles and never any damage and we haul as many as 9 at a time.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: pdf K1200LTtiedownprocedure.pdf (586.0 KB, 72 views)

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

Last edited by dronning; Aug 24th, 2006 at 10:23 pm.
post #13 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 7:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrowleyiv
Dick,

Is it really 109 in Boerne today? I am on business in Vancouver BC, and the high the last two days was 74 degrees. I feel like I have gone to heaven, but alas, I must return to Texas tomorrow to the heat of Hell. Thanks for the suggestion, have you ever covered the bike while trailering, or would this just beat the tar out of it?
Howdy, John. 74 degrees for a high, huh? I'm gonna ignore that!!

Gonna PM ya on some temp/wx related stuff and the trailer question.

Regarding covering the bike; personally, I wouldn't. I guess it might depend on how short a run I'm taking it, butt no high speed stuff.

Take care, John. Bring some cool wx back with ya!!
post #14 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:12 pm

I'm with you, brother

Don't take any crap for those who tell you to never trailer an LT, blah blah blah. I trailered mine to STC II in April, and I'll trailer it again in the future, I'm sure. Why? Because it allows my wife to have a car and go do her things while I'm doing the LT "thing". Good compromise, if you ask me. If she could go to CCR with me I'd be trailering mine right behind you!

You've already received all the info you need. Pay special attention to Dick's comment: no side stand or center stand. Let the bike's suspension do its thing, by not strapping it down so tight it can't move.

I used SEVEN ratchet straps when I trailered the bike; could have used 3 or 4 and been just as secure. I had both tires strapped, 2 straps on the front, 2 on the rear, and 1 across the seat. (that last one is definitely unnecessary)

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 8:52 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Wink

Hi John , I made up a I made up a bracket that goes over the frame , under the driver seat (over the battery ). I made it out of 2x4s & some smaller dimensional lumber . It is basically a peace of 2x4 ,Maybe 18" long and a eye bolt thru each end ,and a couple of peace's under it so that it clears the body work . With a peace that goes between the frame under the seat , so that it does not move side to side ,and also it is tapered , so it will not go forward . With the front wheel in a chuck , Put two soft tie straps and ratcheting straps on the front end , put the seat up and the bracket across the frame . Put two ratcheting straps on my bracket pulling down , and slightly forward on the bracket . No side stand or center stand . Hope this helps ...patric ...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

post #16 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:01 pm
Super Moderator

My bike is on Raffy's trailer on the way to CCR from the west coast. If it wasn't getting trailered I would not be able to go to CCR this year. While the preferred method of getting there is to ride, as long as you get there it's a good thing!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #17 of 29 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:22 pm

The safest, easiest way I've found to trailer any bike is a unit called a Condor.

www.condor-lift.com

This unit has a bracket that bolts to any trailer in a few minutes. The chock itself attaches to the bracket with 1 thumbscrew. Just roll your bike onto the trailer, guide the front wheel into the chock and let it go. It stays in place and upright by itself allowing you to tie it down anyway you want. I've used mine for about a year and a half, and can't imagine trailering any bike without one. I have a friend that parks his harley in one to keep it upright in the garage so it takes up less room. I have no connection with the people that make this thing, just giving a recommendation based on good experiences with their product.

Larry
Rochester Hills, MI

05 LT
96 HD Softail
00 HD Wide Glide
07 HD Road King (Cop Bike)
75 Honda 550 (wife's restored baby)
post #18 of 29 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 4:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage
The only way I would cover a bike while trailering is with a Geza Gear cover. Otherwise, leave it off or the flapping fabric will damage the paint.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #19 of 29 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 9:01 am

In addition to the attach points mentioned above, I also have found that by removing the tip over bar covers, you can attach your ratchet straps to the tip over bars for a very sturdy attaching point. I use two straps on each sider there and two on each side above the front fender. I use the soft ties that can be bought at Wal Mart and looped around for safe attachment of your straps to the bike. Hauled it 500 miles that way in the past month (to the shop for repair) with no accident. Also ditto the sidestand/center stand remarks.

Jamie Kiel
2002 K1200LT Silver
2005 Harley Davidson Springer Classic
post #20 of 29 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 9:18 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekiel
I also have found that by removing the tip over bar covers, you can attach your ratchet straps to the tip over bars for a very sturdy attaching point.
It is not recommended to use the tip over bars as a tiedown point. They are designed to be strong in the lateral and up wards direction but are far weaker in the down wards direction. They will bend very easy. It is not so much the bars them selves but what they mount into. Front forks are sufficient with lateral control straps in the rear.

By the way I am trailering my LT as well and I only live 220 miles away. SWMBO wins again.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #21 of 29 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 10:19 am

LT tie down

I have used the Ancra Soft ties for years and haven't dammaged anything yet, I always keep a set in the bike just in case just loop them around the forks above the lower suspension plate and rachet them down snug you do not have to over tighten them because the bike suspension is above the tie down point. If it is an open trailer zip ties help to fasten the loose ends of your straps and protect your paint from unwanted burnishing from the loose ends.
Enjoy the trip!

99 Champaigne over Silver LT, w/ Hannigan 2+2 sidecar
post #22 of 29 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekiel
In addition to the attach points mentioned above, I also have found that by removing the tip over bar covers, you can attach your ratchet straps to the tip over bars for a very sturdy attaching point. I use two straps on each sider there and two on each side above the front fender. I use the soft ties that can be bought at Wal Mart and looped around for safe attachment of your straps to the bike. Hauled it 500 miles that way in the past month (to the shop for repair) with no accident. Also ditto the sidestand/center stand remarks.
My mate trailered his LT for 1000 miles using this method and reported that the bike being held by the tip over bars (taking the plastic off first) worked a treat!

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #23 of 29 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 1:27 pm

100+

I know that some people will give you smack about it, but it your bike and well with the weather being Texas Hot all over go for it.... We had some fellow LT riders from Canada Drop buy here in and Austin. The True be know they were not up to all the heat, plus they had cooling vests for there past ride across the Hot West Texas part of there trip.... so sometimes you got to do what is best for your health and be safe.

John
post #24 of 29 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 3:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

True Allen,

The biggest problem is the ratchet type tie downs. You can really generate a lot of force with out one realising it. I have seen people bend handle bars with them. The real key is secure the front wheel and the rest of the bike will always follow it. The straps should be just for stability.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #25 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 1:00 am
IBR# 366

Garage
You may get away with it once, or maybe even twice, but I would never do it. We've seen this method break off the mounting tabs on the frame. It's just not worth the risk. And while we're at it, never tie an LT by the handlebars, either. They're too long and too weak to take the stresses involved.

Using soft ties on the front forks and rear saddlebag mounts works just fine, so why do anything different?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 29 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 1:05 pm Thread Starter

Thanks To All

Once again I would like to send a "Texas-sized" THANK YOU out to all of the members who offered their assistance in this matter. I am now back in steamy Texas, after a business week from hell - 11 flights, 23 cities in six days - and I am quite sure I made the proper decision to trailer after feeling the oppressive heat.

We have now experienced 40 of the last 47 days with temperatures over 100 degrees.

The air conditioned luxury of the cage outweighs the glorious freedom of the LT in this instance, and our bodily safety means even more.

Thanks to all and CCR HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BMWMOA #126325
2000 VLX - The wife's
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

post #27 of 29 Old Aug 28th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Now, I'm not admitting to trailering my LTE, but about two years ago I moved back to Ohio from Seattle. As I was trailering an old 356 I had to put the bike on (or in) my truck.

As a firm believer in the principle that overkill is about half way there, I built a frame that partially suspends the bike. (See attachment.) I used the "approved" tie downs with soft ties on the front and rear. The frame carries part of the weight from the JPEG and footrest mounts. I tried to be careful not to put too much strain on the lower ties. I had to add a little tension at about 300 miles, after that I didn't have to touch it until I got to Ohio. (About 2900 miles).

The same frame fits my trailer. Or at least it would if I had a trailer, that is ...

I put a sign in the back of the Porsche - "I'm taking my toys and going home!" Lots of people waved. Some of them used all five fingers ....

Best Regards,
Jerry Salisbury
post #28 of 29 Old Aug 29th, 2006, 8:52 am

pics

trailer pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0067 (Medium).jpg
Views:	76
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	6183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068 (Medium).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	6184   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069 (Medium).jpg
Views:	54
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	6185  

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #29 of 29 Old Aug 30th, 2006, 2:50 am
IBR# 366

Garage
After a recent 12K service, I had a fuel hose slip off the fuel filter due to a weak hose clamp, effectively shutting the bike down. Rather than pull the gas tank at 10 P.M. in a parking lot (and with only the tools on the bike), I called for my roommate and his trailer. I also carry a set of four De Santis Soft Ties on the bike at all times, bought years ago from Raffy. I've never before needed them, but they were invaluable for getting the bike quickly and safely tied down using the procedure mentioned several times in this thread. The ties are inexpensive but well made, and easily paid for themselves in that one use.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in