Please help, indicators and brakes - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 4:40 pm Thread Starter

Question Please help, indicators and brakes

I am a new owner of a k1200 ltse"02" and i can't figure out the self cancelling on the indicators. Does it work on distance past the turn,speed or time? It seems that sometimes it works and not others. Also i notice a slight surge in the braking when i blip the throttle on down changes whilst braking using the handlebar and foot brake. It's not much but i can feel it, is that normal?.

I can't find the answers in the hand book and any advice would be very welcome, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 4:55 pm

'self cancelling'.. yeah in about 1/4 mile from the most recent press of the button.

Must push the "cancel" button to turn off...before the distance is covered... not press the signal button again like on HD.

The "surge" in braking can be caused by additional electrical power generated by the alternator... that might indicate a battery connection or internal battery issue... don't "scrimp" on the battery... get a good one.

Welcome to the luncacy!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:28 pm

Self cancelling turn signals on the LT will usually/sometimes/almost always stay blinkin' past the time one thinks they should cancel. However, they will cancel (unless you're stopped) eventually. Some folks say it's based on tire revolutions; others say time; and yet others say it depends on whether you're at highway speeds, or slow city traffic speeds. I don't know the true answer, butt I do know that Toad's cancel just fine in all situations. I help sometimes, if I think an oncoming cage might sense that I'm gonna turn, when actually, I already have.

One item (of several) on the brake issue you experience. Have you checked the tire pressures? Make sure they're running at 42F/48R. Sounds weird, butt has been a factor in some applications where low tire pressures have fooled the ABS unit into acting like it should get to work, when there is no need.

Also, lots of discussions on these two items can be found in the HOW section of this website - you can get there by clicking the 'Technical' drop down menu near the top of this page.

Good luck on resolving your issues.

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 5:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad-Designs
I am a new owner of a k1200 ltse"02" and i can't figure out the self cancelling on the indicators. Does it work on distance past the turn,speed or time? It seems that sometimes it works and not others. Also i notice a slight surge in the braking when i blip the throttle on down changes whilst braking using the handlebar and foot brake. It's not much but i can feel it, is that normal?.

I can't find the answers in the hand book and any advice would be very welcome, thanks.
The self-cancelling always works, just not as quickly as some of us may like. Think of them as there only to prevent you from looking like a Florida retiree and plan on cancelling them yourself most of the time.

"Surging" (brake release or additional braking?) is not "normal" -- but it's hard to tell with this little bit of info whether the issue is a sysetm problem, or an unrecognized manipulation of the brake lever masked by the throttle "blipping." I "blip" too, but am careful to not have it affect the brake application, so no "surge." Anything else you can add to the description of what you are sensing?

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA

Last edited by mneblett; Aug 24th, 2006 at 5:39 pm.
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:08 pm

Brake surge - I get that here to. Took awhile to figure it out, but actually for me it's simply an indicator that everything is working as designed.

Many of the intersections here are built with ansphalt streets and cement interections. Where the transition occures, there's a bump. I finally noticed that the ABS radicly drops brake action just after hitting this bump and un-weighting the tires. Yup - it's a bit of a shocker when I 'come down' and re-gain normal traction, the brakes are right there with authority.

For a bit, I considered staying off the brakes until passing this bump - but noticed I was freak'n the wholey be-jeebies outta the cagers already stopped ahead of me. So, I now just anticipate the 'bump' and resulting 'surge'.

Hey, the ABS works!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #6 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:50 pm

Manual cancel is safer

I think the signals always take too long to cancel. Several rider safety articles I have read recommend riders cancel manually as soon as they've completed the turn. I agree with the articles, and always cancel manually. I figure anything I can to proactively to avoid becoming road splat is worth the effort.

Not exactly sure what you mean by "surge" on the brakes, but I know that I was freaked out the first time I went over a bump while braking and the ABS let up on the brakes. I felt like I was being jet propelled forward. The brakes work great when the bike settles down. I expect it now, but I'm still not sure I'm used to it.
post #7 of 8 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:57 pm

Turn signals on sooner if possible - seems to help

Yes...all LT signals seem to stay on too long and usually must be turned off manually (for safety's sake). However, I have noticed that if I turn them on a little further in advance of the turn it seems to work out better. And even on all bikes I have that have self-cancelling signals, they ALL recommend manual shutoff anyway for safety.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 8 Old Aug 26th, 2006, 10:38 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

At any speed above 35 MPH you get 13 cycles of flash before they self cancel. Count 'em. That is way too many for an open hiway lane change so ditto on the shut off yourself stuff.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in