Metzeler ME888 - Page 2 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 13Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #51 of 56 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 7:35 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,836
Re: Metzeler ME888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I am probably good for the rest of the time I will have my LT. I have three rear BT020: one with 10,000 on it which I am running now, one with about 3,000 on it and one brand new. So that should leave about 3,000 + 10,000 + 13,000 = 26,000 miles. I have two front ME888s: one with 6,000 and one brand new. That should yield 10,000 + 16,000 = 26,000 also. That is four years at my normal 6,000 to 7,000 per year average, but this yearís trip will skew that a little as I likely will ride closer to 12,000 this year.

My only debate is once I remove the current tire to put on the new shoe for Alaska, will I want to bother to remount a tire just to get 2-3,000 miles from it. I may just toss it, but I will see what mood I am in at the time. It is actually now not too bad to change a rear tire with my NoMar unit. It used to be a real pain and I most certainly would have tossed a tire that had less than 3,000 miles left.
I am in the same boat. Took off one set with a few thousand on them to have new for the CCR-R so those are sitting there plus the CCR-R set and then the new one. I have a spare wheel set so for me it is as easy as just swapping wheels and brake pad sets to match the rotors on the front to get the mileage on the lightly used set. I also have an Avon AM26 with less than 1k that will never see the light of day again. That was a miserable tire on the front of the LT. Not sure what I want to do with that. Do I give it away and impose its teribleness on someone else?

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Ė Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Ė Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #52 of 56 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 8:26 am
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,799
Re: Metzeler ME888

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
I am in the same boat. Took off one set with a few thousand on them to have new for the CCR-R so those are sitting there plus the CCR-R set and then the new one. I have a spare wheel set so for me it is as easy as just swapping wheels and brake pad sets to match the rotors on the front to get the mileage on the lightly used set. I also have an Avon AM26 with less than 1k that will never see the light of day again. That was a miserable tire on the front of the LT. Not sure what I want to do with that. Do I give it away and impose its teribleness on someone else?
I have a spare rear wheel, which helps a lot in wearing out tires, but when you have three rear tires to wear out two rims doesnít get you away from a mounting operation.

I wanted to get a spare front but decided against it for basically three reasons:

1. front tires last 15+K miles if you run 880s and, I am hoping, 888s if they donít develop a bulge as did my firsts one. I ran one BT020 front just to confirm how fast they wore out, and at 6K miles I replaced it for an upcoming trip. It probably would have made 8K, but I didnít bother to remount it and just trashed it. So, not need to mount fronts all that often.

2. I never found a good deal on a used front wheel. Mostly because they are the ones that take it on the chin in a crash and they donít get removed for trike conversions as often as do the rears. I got my rear for something like $100. I donít think Iíve seen a front for less than $300 and usually they are more than that. I can throw away a lot of partially worn out front tires for $300.

3. If I take the time to swap the rotors, then I have as much work as just mounting a new tire. It is generally not recommended to change rotors without also changing brake pads once they are bed together. I guess I could keep two sets of front brake pads, but that just seemed like too much hassle.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #53 of 56 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 9:08 am
Senior Member
 
bmwcoolk1200's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 3,836
Re: Metzeler ME888

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I have a spare rear wheel, which helps a lot in wearing out tires, but when you have three rear tires to wear out two rims doesnít get you away from a mounting operation.

I wanted to get a spare front but decided against it for basically three reasons:

1. front tires last 15+K miles if you run 880s and, I am hoping, 888s if they donít develop a bulge as did my firsts one. I ran one BT020 front just to confirm how fast they wore out, and at 6K miles I replaced it for an upcoming trip. It probably would have made 8K, but I didnít bother to remount it and just trashed it. So, not need to mount fronts all that often.

2. I never found a good deal on a used front wheel. Mostly because they are the ones that take it on the chin in a crash and they donít get removed for trike conversions as often as do the rears. I got my rear for something like $100. I donít think Iíve seen a front for less than $300 and usually they are more than that. I can throw away a lot of partially worn out front tires for $300.

3. If I take the time to swap the rotors, then I have as much work as just mounting a new tire. It is generally not recommended to change rotors without also changing brake pads once they are bed together. I guess I could keep two sets of front brake pads, but that just seemed like too much hassle.
I found a true front although lots of paint chips for under 100 shipping included with worn rotors past the minimum and a tire that was completely bald but no cord yet showing. The pre whizzy brakes wheels seem to be more plentiful with many being misrepresented as 99-04 but that is not the case with the front wheels. Most I have seen on Ebay have the sensor ring removed so no easy identification for those listed as 99-04 but I got lucky so I do have a spare front and rear set. Even if it doesn't look like new, it is true. I put a new set of rotors and bearings on it so good to go.
Voyager likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Ė Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Ė Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwcoolk1200 is offline  
 
post #54 of 56 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 12:15 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,023
Re: Metzeler ME888

I just snagged a slightly used No-Mar unit with both the big blocks and the spool type clamps. Just mounted it to a 36 x 60 plywood and 2 x 3 platform so I can move it around. My old Harbor Fright unit was in with anchors in the concrete - not doing that again. Any one want a HF modified MC tire changer (I made Delryn blocks for it like the No-Mar).
bmwcoolk1200 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jzeiler is offline  
post #55 of 56 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 12:43 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
Voyager's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Lawrenceville, PA, USA
Posts: 6,799
Re: Metzeler ME888

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
I just snagged a slightly used No-Mar unit with both the big blocks and the spool type clamps. Just mounted it to a 36 x 60 plywood and 2 x 3 platform so I can move it around. My old Harbor Fright unit was in with anchors in the concrete - not doing that again. Any one want a HF modified MC tire changer (I made Delryn blocks for it like the No-Mar).
Mine has worked well, but definitely watch the videos as the technique is everything. Definitely make up 4 or so of the wooden bead space blocks. I had trouble mounting tires at first using just the mount bar so I bought their long tire irons to use their alternate ďGold WingĒ method, but found that wasnít all that easy either. I then found that with some patience, a warm tire and lots of lube, I can mount both front and rear LT tires with the bar alone. The key for me seemed to be to not rush it. It seems the tire needs a little time to stretch and relax in order to get the last part of the bead across the rim. If I tried to move it one sweeping arc it was like hitting a brick wall. I now go slowly and just sort of bump the bar with my hip say 1/2Ē at a time and that seems to work fairly well and minimizes the chance of breaking the top off of the bar.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Voyager is offline  
post #56 of 56 Old Apr 25th, 2019, 3:00 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire
 
jzeiler's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hazel Green, AL, USA
Posts: 13,023
Re: Metzeler ME888

I had the blocks already, the helping hands, Gold Wing Spoons and the No-Mar bar for use on my HF unit. I could do the LT tires but not the GT tires. I should be able to do both now.

Again anyone want a nicely modified HF tire changer? If not claimed soon it will end up in the scrap metal pile.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bead.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	123.7 KB
ID:	151257   Click image for larger version

Name:	over.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	151259   Click image for larger version

Name:	puck3.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	151261  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Apr 25th, 2019 at 3:05 pm.
jzeiler is offline  
Reply

Tags
swingarm, tires

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Metzeler ME888 Rear for K1200Lt is finally out cbpip K1200LT 4 Aug 8th, 2014 3:42 pm
Metzler ME888 Rear for K1200Lt coming soon cbpip K1200LT 33 Mar 17th, 2014 11:21 pm
New Metzeler ME888 rear inquiry K100Dennis Australia, New Zealand, and AsiaPac 11 Mar 6th, 2014 3:21 pm
Metzeler NOT making the ME888 for the LT... petevandyke K1200LT 14 Jul 4th, 2013 5:45 am
New Metzeler Marathon ME888 Ultra tyres K100Dennis Tires 2 Feb 24th, 2013 8:47 am

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome