Dreaded warm weather engine lag - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:58 am Thread Starter

Dreaded warm weather engine lag

I have a question about the Rhine West Performance Chip. I have searched and read everything I can find about the subject here on the forums for the past few days, as well as gone to the Rhine West website looking for an answer to my question with no luck.

I have a 1999 LT that I purchased in June of this year. I came from an Electra Glide, so I donít know too much about Beemers. My girlfriend has two bikesÖí93 K1100LT and a í95 K1100LT. I have had the pleasure of riding both of these bikes and it convinced me to buy the LT when a Ford Expedition totaled my Harley (but thatís a different story!) I have discovered the dreaded engine lag in warm weather due to the fuel mapping in my control unit (good info in here guysÖthanks!) and I know that I donít have a brown wire on the í99. I also know that I have the older control unit with a single fuel map.

What can I do about the warm weather lag? Pulling the yellow cap under the top case only works if you have the newer control unit, right? Will the Rhine West Chip take care of the engine lag? Is there any other way I can address this problem? I know that a lot of you have installed performance chips in conjunction with different exhausts and Iíd like to learn from your experiences.

Dave
'06 K1200LT
'93 K1100LT (Hers)
AMA #956231
BMWMOA #130553
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 11:55 am

I read some where in this forum that you could get a new matronix (or whatever its called) installed by a dealership that will allow the 2 maps. I know I am being vague but I have been reading alot since I am planning on buying a Beamer once I sell my VTX.
post #3 of 5 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 1:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbushey
What can I do about the warm weather lag? Pulling the yellow cap under the top case only works if you have the newer control unit, right? Will the Rhine West Chip take care of the engine lag? Is there any other way I can address this problem? I know that a lot of you have installed performance chips in conjunction with different exhausts and Iíd like to learn from your experiences.
Pull the air box temp sensor plug. It's behind your left radiator cap. You can see it if you use a flashlight. It has some kind of weird retaining wire clip that has to be pushed down to pull the plug. Real tight back in there, but I've seen guys do it without pulling any tupperware.

The Rhinewest chip helps tons, and pulling the plug really did it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 Old Aug 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm

99s didn't come with with crash pans, absolutely necessary to protect the underside of your ride.
The starter relays were defective, it will fuse closed if the voltage sags below normal while trying to start it.

There is an easy mod to make the speedo accurate. Yours is optimistic by about 10%

I fixed mine when I did a 12K. I needed a low wattage iron and magnification.

So far, my best find this year was an inexpensive 300 watt soldering IRON.

Bob, 00LT
post #5 of 5 Old Aug 25th, 2006, 11:09 pm

Be sure to check hall of wisdom on canisterectomy

I have an '02, so my experience may be slightly different. After I had the dealer switch me to the alternate mapping I was still experiencing a lot of hesitation. I followed the canisterectomy directions in the hall of wisdom (you can start just by pulling the hoses and plugging the one as in the directions) to see if it makes a difference. This made a huge difference for me.

- Jeff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in