• 5 Post By hfsmall
  • 2 Post By hfsmall
  • 1 Post By johnT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 5th, 2015, 9:04 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Easy Radiator Filling Procedure

2000 K1200LT

Recently, I noticed that antifreeze was coming from my radiator. When I got home, I checked the reason(s) for the leak. Without removing anything from the bike I found that the top crossover hose clamp (left radiator) was not tight and was causing the leak. The hose was in good shape, so I easily tightened the clamp. I realized that the next step was to re-fill the radiator. I listened to the video on You Tube regarding changing antifreeze, I read my Clymer manual and reviewed this forum related to radiator leaks. I learned that I would need as a minimum to remove the left side panel. Having removed the Tupperware when I did previous maintenance (installing new fuel and air filters, installing brake hoses, etc.) I was familiar with the procedure. I put the motorcycle on the center stand and reviewed the status of the radiator cap. I found that I could easily remove the radiator cap (I have large hands and am not very strong) without removing any panels. I took the cap off and took it to Auto Zone to check the status of the cap – PSI was ok. Without removing any panels, I filled the radiator using the following procedure:

1. Removed the left signal light assenbly (1 screw)
2. Attached a rubber hose to a funnel and put hose through the signal light opening to the radiator
3. Had my wife put antifreeze (50/50%) into the funnel while I held the hose into the radiator – she stopped when antifreeze leaked from the radiator
4. Without the cap installed, I ran the engine for several minutes and compressed the top hose (to get the air out of the system). After turning the engine off, I added a small amount of antifreeze and easily re-installed the radiator cap. I also re-filled the over flow tank.

The next time I change the antifreeze I will be using this method. I hope this information is helpful!
RdcrzR, DanMartin, sailor and 2 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 9:34 am

Re: Easy Radiator Filling Procedure

Thank you for your good advise on changing out the radiator fluid. I'm just about ready to change my fluid out on my LT to "Engine Ice" and will be using your method. Keep the good Info coming!
post #3 of 9 Old Aug 20th, 2015, 2:23 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Easy Radiator Filling Procedure Update

Several weeks after I posted my initial thread (Easy Radiator Filling Procedure) I began to see drops of antifreeze under my motorcycle. The problem generally occurred during 90 degree F plus weather and when I was in stop and go traffic for long periods of time. At no time did the temperature gauge show an extremely high temperature level. I once again read past posted threads on radiator problems. Many of them indicated that the weakest link in the cooling system is the radiator cap (cheapest and easiest to correct). I once again removed the cap and checked the status of the cap (original BMW cap). This time instead of checking the pressure status for 3 minutes, I left the tester on for 15 minutes (did the testing at Auto Zone for free). I found that after 15 minutes that the cap leaked down to an unacceptable level. I decided to replace the radiator cap with a Slant, 10267 (20 psi cap – note: the original K1200 LT cap is 21.8 psi) purchased at a cost of $13.08. I have put on over 800 miles (touring, high temperature weather and stop and go traffic) and have not had any leakage of antifreeze. I used the “easy method” and had no problems removing the cap. My suggestion when removing the cap is to turn it counter clockwise until you hit the first radiator stop tab (short distance) and then press the cap down an continue to turn counter clockwise until you hit the second radiator stop tab (short distance). At this point with a small amount of upward pull the cap will come separated from the radiator. In some cases due to the radiator gasket more pull is needed to break the seal. Hope my experience will be helpful to other K1200 LT riders.
RdcrzR and johnbaker15 like this.

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 21st, 2015, 11:51 pm

I changed out mine with Evans waterless coolant works brilliant even under long periods of idling in heavy traffic

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2015, 11:57 am

What is the capacity of the coolant system when draining completely?

Will a Gallon do it?

that Evans looks good even though a bit $$

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2015, 1:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
What is the capacity of the coolant system when draining completely?

Will a Gallon do it?
3.1 liters.

post #7 of 9 Old Aug 29th, 2015, 1:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnT View Post
3.1 liters.
Thanks.

post #8 of 9 Old Aug 30th, 2015, 6:16 pm

I topped off my radiator once by loosening the cap and blowing into the reservoir behind the seat. When fluid ran out the front I refilled the reservoir and tightened the cap. I just loosened it one notch.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 31st, 2015, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattler50 View Post
I topped off my radiator once by loosening the cap and blowing into the reservoir behind the seat. When fluid ran out the front I refilled the reservoir and tightened the cap. I just loosened it one notch.
Even though the tank is an overflow
(NOT a pressurized expansion tank)

The fluid will still suck back into the radiator when it cools.
just keep the tank at the proper level and it works..... Like magic.
mtrevelino likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in