New EBC rear disc - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By Steve_R

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

New EBC rear disc

Is this new drilled rotor by EBC worth the upgrade or wise to keep the stock rotor with small wear and just install new brake pads? Thanks, John

EBC Pro-Lite Brake Rotor - Rear MD615 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036GDL2O..._Q.ALvb34T57GM

Last edited by 2003BMWK1200LT; Jul 2nd, 2015 at 5:44 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: New EBC rear disc

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! The only reason to change it out is if it has the famous cowbell clanging going on, or if it's really worn. I have an EBC now, as it's cheaper, but probably not the quality steel that BMW uses. I just replaced the rear pads today, and I only use BMW, they cost more but seem to work better than all the others I've tried.

BMRBOB
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 7:54 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Actually it is harder material than the stock one. I wore two of those out and have put over 50 K on the USED EBC I got and very little wear compared to stock and no clang or squeal.
radar41 likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 8:55 pm

I've put an EBC rear rotor on all three of my LTs. In my opinion it is far superior to the non-drilled BMW rotor. I get better stopping wet or dry, seem to be better pad wear and like John I don't have to listen to the squeal.
radar41 likes this.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 2:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks much for the input! This is such an amazing resource for us LT owners!!!
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 10:54 pm

How difficult is it to get the rotor disk bolts out?

Steve
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 8:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekremer View Post
How difficult is it to get the rotor disk bolts out?

Steve
I used a Mapp Gas torch to heat them up and melt the locktite and they came right out. Others have had problems but they are pretty easy to drill off. You get new screws with the EBC disk so you only need the ring off of the old disk.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 8:56 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Definitely use some heat. Even the latent heat of a spirited ride should be enough to soften the loctite. Go slowly on the losening and keep the Allen bit straight. I have done a couple dozen and only had to drill one out. Just remember the bolts only hold the rotor on while the wheel is off. So even if you bugger one - one is enough to hold it on.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 12 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 12:08 pm

Put the EBC on about a thousands miles ago. Bike is much quiter without the clanging and banging. I used the Mapp gas too for the bolts and the ABS ring. Easy Peasy with some heat!

2003 LTE ( Big Silver Cow)
2000 Buell S3T (Little Black Beauty)
198? Yamaha 650 (Sold )
1974 Honda CB 750 (wish I still had it!)
1972 Honda CB350 (Crashed)
197? Honda 50 Mini Bike (Long Gone)
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 9:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Did mine a couple of years ago and used a standard propane torch.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 12 Old Jul 9th, 2015, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
Actually it is harder material than the stock one. I wore two of those out and have put over 50 K on the USED EBC I got and very little wear compared to stock and no clang or squeal.
John is right, the metal on stock BMW rotors is soft, to soft. I had one put on under warranty for the ten bolt to five bolt rotor re-call to cure the braking squeal. The metal on the surface of the rotor actually pills up in little balls on the surface of the rotor(see Imgur pics). I have to take my roto zip every now and then and grind them off as they will grow bigger and ruin the pads. I showed the pics to the BMW dealer who showed the pics to BMW rep and of course he said it was the non OEM brake pads. Well, stupid rep, they were your OEM pads. Then he said he would look into it and get back to the dealer and that never happened. The dealer was good and ordered a new rotor and pads because he new BMW was a dead end , no cost to me and that new one does the same thing so I just deal with it until time for a new EBC rotor. On the five pics of the rotor you will see on the first pic it shows up real clear, the other pics you have to look close to see the small dots which is the metal building up. I tried to tap them with screw driver to see if they would pop off but the are fused to the surface of the rotor

Imgur

Scott
2007 LT

Last edited by norton; Jul 9th, 2015 at 8:53 am.
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2015, 7:09 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to all. I did replace the stock rotor with an EBC and am happy with it. I used map gas and the first bolt came out easy. The second was a struggle. It stripped quickly. I used a Dremel to grind a straight line in the head. Then I used a large flat head screw driver and an adjustable wrench on the screw drivers square shaft to break it loose. I re used it with Loctite and ordered 2 new ones for future just to have on hand.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in