Wind noise and buffetting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Wind noise and buffetting

OK, I give up. Let me ramble on for a bit. I am getting tired of the all of the wind noise and buffetting that we are getting on our LT. Thinking that the stock windshield was the culprit, I purchased a Cee Bailey #2 Reverse Contour a few years ago. It seemed like a 'good enough' upgrade at the time. But the combination of this windshield and our Shoie Neotec helmets has been a great disappointment, especially for my wife. The wind noise for her is bad enough that it often triggers the intercom microphone. We adjust the windshield to find the best but the best isn't good enough.

I am a 99.99% user of helmets. During that 0.01% of not having the helmet on, everything was very quiet and peaceful, could hear the frogs chirping in the roadside marsh. I want that all the time for both of us. Not the sore neck and headache from wind noise and buffetting.

What am I overlooking? Thinking of putting stock shield back on at least to get a comparison using the Neotecs.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 11:22 pm
Super Moderator

Re: Wind noise and buffetting

Here are a few choices:

http://www.laminarlip.com/

http://www.nationalcycle.com/media/w...ik_Catalog.pdf

ZTechnik | Z2462 VStream® Sport/Tour Replacement Screen for BMW® K1200LT

Time to go shopping

A few years ago tired to have a windshield SWAP at the Curve Cowboy
Reunion - everyone thought is was a good idea just never got around to
pulling it together.

I have been using CE Baileys for quite a few years but many guys rave about
the Z Technique for wind and protection (its polycarbonate) . . .

Good luck in your search!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 11:42 pm

I have the CB shield and use a half shell most of the time without any problem in good weather. Use a HJC snell approv. full face and I have to raise the shield about two inches to remove the buffeting on the top of the helmet. I'm 5ft. 9in. and can still see over the shield at that height. Just another perspective but I don't hear much with the HJC.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 12:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have the CB#2 -2. I did a lot of measuring before I ordered. I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam. I got the shield so When it is half way up, I am looking over the top of it in my normal riding position. That gives me a quiet pocket riding one up. Two up (wife is 5'11" and 33" inseam) I envisioned I would have to raise the shield. In fact to relieve the back pressure and buffeting, dropping it ever so slightly is the sweet spot. I haven't tried to analyze the fluid flow dynamics that create that effect, just trial and error. When It's hot, I put the shield all the way down since air flow is worth the buffeting. In heavy rain, I raise the shield up just enough to minimize helmet racket due to rain drops. I haven't found a situation where all the way up is a desired situation. Hope you find your sweet spot or ideal shield whatever you need.

Also consider adjusting any farkles that may interfere with the slipstream of air coming up the inside of the shield. Any turbulence created there significantly reduces the benefit from the shield's shape. Good luck.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 2:42 pm

I had a modular 102 Nolan that was quiet most of the time. I just bumped up the shield up until the noise stopped. I wore it out,soooooooooo-
I just bought a $300 HJC modular that is noisy as all get out. Hate it.
I don't think there is anything wrong with the bmw windshield. If you're on a motorcycle you're gonna get some wind.

I tried a non-poly shield and it nearly stabbed me to death when it shattered after hitting a turkey. No more for me as back to poly I went.
Just my .02

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 9:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob View Post

Also consider adjusting any farkles that may interfere with the slipstream of air coming up the inside of the shield. Any turbulence created there significantly reduces the benefit from the shield's shape. Good luck.
That brings up another good point. I do have a shelf (not sure which brand, was there when I got the bike) that may have a negative effect. I don't use it for anything so maybe I should just take it off.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #7 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 8:59 am

I just put on a C Bailey Whisper Flow. Its not bad but I did like the OEM tall shield better. Wife liked it better also. Age had caught up to OEM shield.
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 4:17 pm

On our trip back from Colorado, the wind was pretty bad. "Brutal" was the word my wife used. We have the stock shield and am considering an upgrade.

Has anyone used the CB reverse contour with the wings? Like/dislike?
What about without the wings?
How about the ZTechnik VStream?

We come from a Goldwing and with an aftermarket oversized (width) shield which we loved. No buffeting even in high cross winds. It's the crosswinds that were most concerned about.

I'm 6' and my wife is 5'. She can't see over me. The best solution we had on our trip was for her to hunker down against me. This was tiring to both of us.

All input is appreciated, as were heading to OH next month and want this issue solved before we leave.

Thanks,
Larry

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 8:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I have the ZTechnik VStream, have about 21,000 miles experience with it and like it and ride with it in the lower position most of the time. During higher wind days, I may elevate it to reduce/eliminate wind buffeting. Seems pretty durable as during that time, I haven't have any dings or scratches, but its caught its fair share of bugs...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #10 of 16 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 8:58 pm

Thanks. This is the first bike I've had where I had to clean the bugs off the *inside* of the windshield and first time I've had bug splatter hit my chest

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 10:26 am

I replaced my European cut sport shield with a Cee Baily w/wings -2 from Standard. I am 6-1 with 32 in inseam. If I had to do it again I would make it a minus 4 as the shield is real tall and only gives me a minimal lowering effect. Wife likes it all the way up which means I am looking thru it. ( only good when it rains hard for me). Minimal head buffeting which can be reduced to nothing for me by finding the sweet spot. Just want more airflow in hot weather crusing or sporting riding.

Dave T
I did not live to work....I only worked to live! Retired and living life our way!

K1200LT (Calamity)
06 Concours
03 Wing
99 Kaw Voyager
Suz GS850 (10 years! Too good to go)
Suz GS750
Honda 750F & CL,XL 350
post #12 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 11:00 am

Full face helmets are always noisy, worse if they have vents on top.
Try out a half helmet or shorty, no buffeting with those.

later...Randy

2006 LT
Magnesium Shwarz Metalic
Bountiful, Utah
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 8th, 2015, 5:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
OK, I give up. Let me ramble on for a bit. I am getting tired of the all of the wind noise and buffetting that we are getting on our LT. Thinking that the stock windshield was the culprit, I purchased a Cee Bailey #2 Reverse Contour a few years ago. It seemed like a 'good enough' upgrade at the time. But the combination of this windshield and our Shoie Neotec helmets has been a great disappointment, especially for my wife. The wind noise for her is bad enough that it often triggers the intercom microphone. We adjust the windshield to find the best but the best isn't good enough.

I am a 99.99% user of helmets. During that 0.01% of not having the helmet on, everything was very quiet and peaceful, could hear the frogs chirping in the roadside marsh. I want that all the time for both of us. Not the sore neck and headache from wind noise and buffetting.

What am I overlooking? Thinking of putting stock shield back on at least to get a comparison using the Neotecs.

We ride mostly without helmets but the screen from Parabellum is very quiet and no buffeting with or without helmets.

Motorcycle Windshields for BMW, Aprilia, Buell, Ducati, Honda, Kawasaki, Moto Guzzi, Suzuki, Triumph and Yamaha
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 9:10 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
That brings up another good point. I do have a shelf (not sure which brand, was there when I got the bike) that may have a negative effect. I don't use it for anything so maybe I should just take it off.
I did remove the shelf a few days ago and finally got a few hours in the saddle today. There seems to be a marked improvement in the wind noise and buffetting department. Never thought the shelf would be such an impact, for me anyway.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #15 of 16 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 9:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post
Thanks. This is the first bike I've had where I had to clean the bugs off the *inside* of the windshield and first time I've had bug splatter hit my chest
I didn't think reverse gear was that fast??

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #16 of 16 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
I didn't think reverse gear was that fast??
I made a little adjustment to the bike

Actually, what would happen is the bugs would hit just below the windshield and splatter up behind the shield, on to it and me. I had a bee or wasp come up that way and I thought it was going right into my jacket (which would immediately cause the death of me and my wife ). Fortunately, it went to my right and we lived.

Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in