Bleeding Gearbox & Clutch ??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Post Bleeding Gearbox & Clutch ???

Hi all,

I did the 12k maintenance on the bike and with all previous help it was long but "secure". Here's what I did :

Spark plugs
Air filter renewing
Fuel filter renewing
Oil filter & oil flush (damn special tool for the filter, had to go buy one during maintenance )
Cooler liquid flush
Speed bleeders installation & Brake fluid flush

took me... well... all day... 9 AM to 6 PM... But that was the first time and there REALLY is a LOT a tupperware ! Next time will be less for sure.

I did not complete the gearbox bleeding for the reason I cannot find a tool big enough to remove the drain plug? Did I miss something here?

As for the clutch, I did not bleed it as I was unable to find the bleeder. After a search here I find it's hide under the trim tupperware but I don't understand. If the bleeder is up there, what about all the dirty liquid down in the circuit ???

Thanks all

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)

Last edited by Frenchy; Aug 23rd, 2006 at 11:13 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:44 am

The grear box plug is a 14mm allen wrench. You do have to fight a bit with the center stand toget to it. The allen wrench can be a tad tricky or expensive to find, but they are available. Well, least here in the US, no idea about France, but I'd assume they're out there.

Clutch fluid system 'renewing' ("flush" we call it). System is a closed, linear system. Putting new fluid in displaces old, old is forced out the bleeder. Just flush until you've got new, clear fluid coming out the bleeder - it's done.

And congrats on your wrenching! Feels good, don't it

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:51 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
The grear box plug is a 14mm allen wrench.
Yes I shop for one this morning but can't find any over 11mm... I'll try an auto shop.

Quote:
System is a closed, linear system. Putting new fluid in displaces old
Exactly what I needed to know It's clear now.

Quote:
Clutch fluid system 'renewing' ("flush" we call it)
Post edited

Quote:
And congrats on your wrenching! Feels good, don't it
For sure I did it on previous bikes too, but feels like a complete new story with each bikes

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)

post #4 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 12:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
As for the clutch, I did not bleed it as I was unable to find the bleeder.
The bleeder is wrapped in a 8cm-long tube of foam. To find it, look at the subframe that supports the right-side tip-over wing; the bleed fitting is zip-tied to the underside of the rear of the subframe. Note that you will need to remove the grub screw in the end of the fitting and install a temporary bleeder valve -- I suggest using one from your dealer, as it has a tapered end shape which lifts the check valve inside the bleed fitting off its seat to allow fluid to flow out.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 2:05 pm

14mm Hex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy
Yes I shop for one this morning but can't find any over 11mm... I'll try an auto shop.
I bought something similar to this. Try here as well.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #6 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 2:34 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

My machinist took a short piece of 9/16 hex wrench which is 14.28 MM and milled it down to 14MM exact. Now I use a 9/16 socket on one end and it is short enough to use the torque wrench on it as well. I did not try it but the 9/16 may fit as it is.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #7 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 2:35 pm

If you can find regular 14mm Allen wrench, cut about 3" off & stick it in a 14mm socket. One regular wrench will make about 4 tools. I borrowed a 14mm from a friend cut 3" off of it & brought it back.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #8 of 16 Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_E
If you can find regular 14mm Allen wrench, cut about 3" off & stick it in a 14mm socket. One regular wrench will make about 4 tools. I borrowed a 14mm from a friend cut 3" off of it & brought it back.
I cut off about 1", and used it with a standard 14 MM wrench. You can do that without removing the skid plate. I used a cutaway oil bottle as a drain "funnel" to direct the draining oil to the rear of the skid plate into a drain pan.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 8:48 am

Re: Bleeding Gearbox & Clutch ???

I have a question.

Why canīt the Speedbleeder be left permanently on the clutch bleeding line like the brake ones ?.

Thanks.
post #10 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
I have a question.

Why canīt the Speedbleeder be left permanently on the clutch bleeding line like the brake ones ?.

Thanks.
Simon,
There is a "check valve" built into the clutch bleed line. It is recommended you allow that to "secure" the pressure in the line. I am not certain that the "speed bleeder" will seal properly as it wasn't intended to do so on this application.

However, you may get great results!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 9:46 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Actually it is just fine to leave it in. Brett had a leak on his at STC and the dealer had left the bleeder in but it was only finger tight. It will seal up just fine. My 05 has a fill valve similar to this on the ABS unit and despite the cap screw it still seeps a bit of fluid. I may try putting a bleed screw in it to seal it up.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #12 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 11:08 am

Cool Re: Bleeding Gearbox & Clutch ???

Actually, the Speedbleeder can remain in place after you have removed the unnecessary adapter. It will probably require some heat to loosen the Locktite. Check out the thread link below. It was found by simply searching for "Speedbleeder and Clutch":

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...bleeder+clutch

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
I have a question.

Thanks.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 12:07 pm

Thanks for that info guys.

Am going to order speedbleeders for the LT now. Got some for my other bike and they work like a charm.

Simon
post #14 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 3:58 pm

For your 14mm "allen" tool you can try getting a 14mm coupling nut at a hardware store and use a box end wrench on it
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	nut.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	17624  
post #15 of 16 Old Apr 30th, 2008, 5:38 pm

I've had a speed bleeder in my clutch line for a few years now.
Bob, 00LT

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
post #16 of 16 Old May 1st, 2008, 11:06 am

I got my 3 piece metric hex bit set (12mm, 14mm, 17mm) with a 1/2 inch drive at AutoZone. Around 10 bucks. Part number 336 25417. Made by Great Neck.

Dan Sullivan
2011 vStrom DL650
1999 K1200LTC
Hillsborough, NJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in