I am in love! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 7Likes
  • 6 Post By jeannot
  • 1 Post By norton

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 7:32 pm Thread Starter

I am in love!

Hi.
Just a comment to many already out there! I just came back from a ride on my "BB blue" KLT1200 2003, thru the Colorado Rockies. Did 1400 miles in 5 days..... I know for many of you its a breeze in the park! Anyway, two up and loaded with a 47MPG, no issues what so ever. Just want to say that i am proud and super happy to own and ride such a bike.
To all, happy ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 9:27 pm

Garage
Re: I am in love!

I am jealous, a trip on my bucket list that I know will never be fulfilled. And glad you enjoyed your LT
Cheers from Oz

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 7:03 am

I'm just enjoying your euphoria because I'm taking my bike to Nova Scotia in August and can't wait. Going to trailer it up because getting there requires 2 days of navigating some of the most shitty interstate roads on the East coast. Once I get there we will park the cage and do five days of traveling on the LT, ie. Cabot trail, sunshine trail, chowder trail, light house trail and cover about 200 to 300 miles a day.
Damn I don't think I can wait. I'll have to take a ride today to ease the anticipation.
jeannot likes this.

Scott
2007 LT

post #4 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 4:59 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I'm just enjoying your euphoria because I'm taking my bike to Nova Scotia in August and can't wait. Going to trailer it up because getting there requires 2 days of navigating some of the most shitty interstate roads on the East coast. Once I get there we will park the cage and do five days of traveling on the LT, ie. Cabot trail, sunshine trail, chowder trail, light house trail and cover about 200 to 300 miles a day.
Damn I don't think I can wait. I'll have to take a ride today to ease the anticipation.

I rode from northern PA to NS and NL last year. Yes, took two days to get there, but we didn't take all that many interstates. Did some in Maine, but then took route 9 out of Bangor. A pretty good ride overall. Then again, I had no choice. My bike only sees a trailer when it is unable to move under its own power.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 7:26 pm

Talking Re: I am in love!

Quote:
Have a great time. Did this trip from Florida (rode). If you dare, dont miss Meat cove.
hard on the way up, harder on the way down. But WHAT A VIEW. You would think going up the west coast is great, which it is, but N.S. Better and better views all the way around.
You will love it. Bluer than blue skies.
Every single trip is a joy on this bike. Everyone just enjoy the ride and keep the rubber side down.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #6 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 9:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Have a great time. Did this trip from Florida (rode). If you dare, dont miss Meat cove.
hard on the way up, harder on the way down. But WHAT A VIEW. You would think going up the west coast is great, which it is, but N.S. Better and better views all the way around.
Every single trip is a joy on this bike. Everyone just enjoy the ride and keep the rubber side down.

Zeke
I echo Zeke's endorsement of the Cabot Trail and the detour to Meat Cove is a must as long as you don't mind a little dirt riding. I even got my brother-in-law to ride his "gets washed every day" Wing out there.

Having said that, I was much more impressed with Newfoundland. The scenery is more rugged, more mountainous and more remote. If you can spare the time, a ferry crossing and visit to Gros Morne will be the nuts, whipped cream and cherry on the sundae!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	985.7 KB
ID:	83697  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 9:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
I echo Zeke's endorsement of the Cabot Trail and the detour to Meat Cove is a must as long as you don't mind a little dirt riding. I even got my brother-in-law to ride his "gets washed every day" Wing out there.

Having said that, I was much more impressed with Newfoundland. The scenery is more rugged, more mountainous and more remote. If you can spare the time, a ferry crossing and visit to Gros Morne will be the nuts, whipped cream and cherry on the sundae!
NICE pic. doesn't do it justice.. Almost did Newfoundland but the ferry ride was like 6 hrs?
I thought. not sure. but we decided against, But there is always another ride needed somewhere at sometime.

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #8 of 17 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 10:11 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
NICE pic. doesn't do it justice.. Almost did Newfoundland but the ferry ride was like 6 hrs?
I thought. not sure. but we decided against, But there is always another ride needed somewhere at sometime.
No picture can ever do places like that justice. Here is a sample of Newfoundland. Yes, the ferry ride was 5.5 to 6 hours, but the ferries were nice (converted cruise ships with full dining rooms, etc.) and the time went quickly.

Tried to attach three pictures, but it appears I keep getting only the last one in the upload list...
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	86
Size:	1,006.6 KB
ID:	83705  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 1st, 2015 at 10:29 pm.
post #9 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:11 am

Quote:
Tried to attach three pictures, but it appears I keep getting only the last one in the upload list...
Had the same problem a while ago. Maybe a word in admins ear would not go amiss

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #10 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 11:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Ask you insurance agent to get you a Proof of Coverage in Canada. It may or may not be required at the border crossing. I get one annually since I go to Ontario on a regular basis. Was questioned once. Not sure if they would have turned me back.

Did Nova Scotia five years ago. Bring rain gear!!
If you like seafood, you will be in heaven

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #11 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:21 pm

Quote:

Zeke
Thanks, I have been you-tubing and reading vlogs to get some heads up info on places to see and eat. We are staying in Sydney and doing day trips. PM me if you have any info you think would be helpful other than meat cove, which sounds awesome.

Scott
2007 LT
post #12 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:38 pm

Quote:

I will do meat cove, as an X enduro rider I do not steer clear of dirt roads, its the loose sand that will bite you in the ass.

Scott
2007 LT
post #13 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
Ask you insurance agent to get you a Proof of Coverage in Canada. It may or may not be required at the border crossing. I get one annually since I go to Ontario on a regular basis. Was questioned once. Not sure if they would have turned me back.

Did Nova Scotia five years ago. Bring rain gear!!
If you like seafood, you will be in heaven
Thanks for the tip, I would of never thought to get that.

Scott
2007 LT
post #14 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 4:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Thanks, I have been you-tubing and reading vlogs to get some heads up info on places to see and eat. We are staying in Sydney and doing day trips. PM me if you have any info you think would be helpful other than meat cove, which sounds awesome.
We didn't get to Sydney. We stayed at a B&B near the ferry terminal. If you get into North Sydney, I would recommend trying the Black Spoon Bistro. It didn't look like much on the outside, and we almost didn't go in, but the food was fantastic.

Not sure what else to recommend. We also had a great time in Yarmouth at Stanley Lobster, but that would be a long day trip from Sydney. You can see my reviews in TripAdvisor for both of these eating places and also a motel in Yarmouth to avoid.

I've already mentioned the only other thing I can think of which is to visit NL if you can spare the time. We spent 3 days there and wished we had spent a week. We spent a couple days on PEI and weren't that impressed. We spent probably 8 days riding all over NS and wish we had taken a couple of those dates and spent them in NL. Then again, we favor remote and rugged country, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Not knocking NS, but 8 days there was more than necessary and we missed a lot in NL.

Here is one more NL picture for your viewing pleasure. :-)
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	80
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	83737  

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 2nd, 2015 at 4:46 pm. Reason: Add picture
post #15 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 5:44 pm

Quote:
We didn't get to Sydney. We stayed at a B&B near the ferry terminal. If you get into North Sydney, I would recommend trying the Black Spoon Bistro. It didn't look like much on the outside, and we almost didn't go in, but the food was fantastic.

Not sure what else to recommend. We also had a great time in Yarmouth at Stanley Lobster, but that would be a long day trip from Sydney. You can see my reviews in TripAdvisor for both of these eating places and also a motel in Yarmouth to avoid.

I've already mentioned the only other thing I can think of which is to visit NL if you can spare the time. We spent 3 days there and wished we had spent a week. We spent a couple days on PEI and weren't that impressed. We spent probably 8 days riding all over NS and wish we had taken a couple of those dates and spent them in NL. Then again, we favor remote and rugged country, which isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Not knocking NS, but 8 days there was more than necessary and we missed a lot in NL.

Here is one more NL picture for your viewing pleasure. :-)
I appreciate the info. The more mountainous and curvy the terrain the better. Someone else said PEI is more flat like farmland, I'M not interested in that, see enough at home. NL sounds good though, I'm retired but the SO still works ,maybe I can talk her into a couple extra days so we can stay in NL for several days to do it justice. We will be returning to Sydney at night after each day trip around Cape Breton so we will try the Black Spoon Bistro. It goes without saying a good lobster place should not be hard to find.
Thanks for the info

Scott
2007 LT
post #16 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 8:21 pm

Smile Re: I am in love!

"they" said bring rain gear, we have aerostich so that was covered. Rained from Maine all the way to the B&B in NS. Didnt rain for the next 5 days. sun and 65. Just luck I guess. but the roads are nice BUT not very smooth. they get like 10 months of winter and it shows. Hit one pot hole and knocked the mirrors off. A guy on a URAL stopped just to say hi and make sure all was good. But most are ok.
Stopped in a French town for lunch, wish I could remember the restaurant, its on Cabot trail. Everyone speaks french and broken English, But they had the BEST strawberry Rhubarb pie my wife has ever had, minus Moms of course.
Very Very nice people all thru the trip. Just stop and ask directions, they will almost drive for you. Just great people.
Ahh Memories, some I CANT REMEMBER. LOL.
Any one up for a 30 day road trip. LETS GO

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #17 of 17 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 9:24 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I appreciate the info. The more mountainous and curvy the terrain the better. Someone else said PEI is more flat like farmland, I'M not interested in that, see enough at home. NL sounds good though, I'm retired but the SO still works ,maybe I can talk her into a couple extra days so we can stay in NL for several days to do it justice. We will be returning to Sydney at night after each day trip around Cape Breton so we will try the Black Spoon Bistro. It goes without saying a good lobster place should not be hard to find.
Thanks for the info
I am sure there is lots of good lobster in NS, but it isn't just good lobster that makes Stanley's worth it. It is the entire experience. I don't want to give it all away, but Stanley is quite a character and this isn't your typical "restaurant." We had cool, windy and foggy weather the night we were there and since reservations are hard to get at times, we didn't want to risk passing up that night, but we were not able to get the full "eat on on the shore" experience, but it was still a very interesting evening. What caught my attention was that the ratings on TripAdvisor were almost all Excellent at the time we visited (June 2014). I see a few negative ratings since, but from people who just don't get it and are looking for a 5 star restaurant with table linens and servers with a pasted on smile. Stanley is a character and we found him great fun, but he is the real deal and says what is on his mind and some people just can't handle that.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5

Last edited by Voyager; Jul 2nd, 2015 at 9:43 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in