Help! ABS - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

Help! ABS

Not sure what I did wrong here. It started with the triangle light coming on when I used the rear brake. I've been riding with minimal use of the rear brake, but decided to follow some of the suggestions I'd received in a prior post. I first replaced the battery which was a bit long of tooth anyway. Took it for a ride and still have the problem. I then topped off both back reservoirs. Took it for a ride, and still the same problem. Time to tear the old girl apart and replace the rear brake switch which I had ordered previously. What a pain. Set the switch at 14mm as measured by my 14mm wrench. Turned the ignition on and AW SHIP!!!!!! Now when I touch either brake, the ABS starts to squeal and won't shut off until I turn the key off. I'm not sure where to look for this. The brake light follows the pedal movement (Rear) light on when down and off when up. (Front) light on when squeezed, off when released. Does anyone have an idea what I might have done wrong? It does the same whether the engine is running or not. Need help please...I just sold my other tourer and don't want to ride my 750 Virago from Illinois to Billings, Montana and back.

19?? Whizzer
1964 Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler (Wrecked)
1965 Honda Dream (Left in Japan)
1971 Suzuki 250 enduro (sold)
1980 Yamaha XS650 (sold)
1991 Kawasaki KLR250 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XV1100 Virago (sold)
1999 Yamaha Silverado (Traded)
2001 Yamaha Venture (Wrecked)
2003 BMW K1200LTE (Finally!)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1993 Suzuki GSX1100G Katana
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 2:51 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Help! ABS

The single triangle indicated a fault in the unit. The fluid level drives a wig-wag light pattern. Sounds like your unit is on the way out. It would be helpful to get the fault code as it could be the pressure relief valve stuck. The unit is smart enough to tell what has gone bad just need to get it out with a GS-911 or a trip to a friendly dealer for a diagnostic.

If the brake light goes off when you release the pedal then you have that set correctly. The unit triggers the servos on either the bake light switches or input pressure, so that makes me think there is a blockage in the rear input circuit. Last time you had a full brake flush performed?

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

In my ignorance I may have stumbled blindly into resolving what I described. I read in one of the posts that disconnecting the battery will reset the ABS controller so I tried that. The ABS pump still ran on forever with the rear pedal but after 2 or 3 grabs on the front it stopped. So then I decided since at least the front was working I would replace the tupperware and take it for a little spin down the road. The brakes worked fine, both front and back. Wonder if it isn't necessary to run the rear wheel to recalibrate the system. I'm hoping it also solved my original problem of the triangle light coming on intermittently when I apply the rear brake. Lightning striking all around so I didn't have a chance to give it a good test.

19?? Whizzer
1964 Yamaha Big Bear Scrambler (Wrecked)
1965 Honda Dream (Left in Japan)
1971 Suzuki 250 enduro (sold)
1980 Yamaha XS650 (sold)
1991 Kawasaki KLR250 (Sold)
1984 Yamaha XV1100 Virago (sold)
1999 Yamaha Silverado (Traded)
2001 Yamaha Venture (Wrecked)
2003 BMW K1200LTE (Finally!)

1993 Suzuki GSX1100G Katana

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 29th, 2015, 8:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Just like a PC sometimes you just have to force a reboot of the silly thing. I am all about that working. Hope it is so. Funny things happen when you roll only one wheel and not both, it gets confused.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in