ABS Flashing Light Issue Resolved - so far - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By scotts

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Jun 28th, 2015, 9:49 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
ABS Flashing Light Issue Resolved - so far

I just wanted to relay this to y'all since it seems to have resolved the issue that i have had with my 2003 K1200 LT IABS system. I replaced the brake lines with SS braided lines in September 2014. I bled the system, ALL of the bleed points, and the system worked fine. A month later I went on a 2500 mile road trip. No issues. After sitting over the winter with minimal use, approximately 3 months, the current problem began to appear.
All systems operated normally at start-up. After 30 to 60 minutes of riding, the ABS light began to flash at 4Hz and the warning light stayed lit. Twice, only the ABS light flashed at 4Hz, no brakes to speak of. On most occasions, turning off the system and restarting cleared the codes, but a few times I would have to wait 20 minutes or so for the normal ABS test sequence at start-up. After following or checking the recommendations available on this site, including a complete ABS system bleeding, the symptoms continued. I purchased a GS911 wifi hoping to read the codes when the fault occurred.
After connecting the GS911 to the system, no fault codes appeared in memory. Using the real time feature on the GS911, I actuated the brake system to full pressure for 20 seconds, both front and rear but separately. I then went on a ride to attempt to read a code during the system failure. No failure occurred after 2 hours. It has now been 2 months and approximately 1500 miles with no issues.
I now do a brake system check at full pressure for 5 sec after start-up for both the front and rear systems.
I do not ride aggressively as the braking system is concerned and possibly the system just needed to be used through a wider range of pressures.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Oct 24th, 2015, 10:55 am Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Garage
Re: ABS Flashing Light Issue Resolved - so far

Still no issues to date. ABS is functioning properly.
Patric and johnbaker15 like this.
Old Oct 28th, 2015, 9:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

I had an ABS light flash thing 10 years ago... I ended up putting a new battery in to get it to stop flashing. The battery I took out was an 2 year old Odyssey.

So, I set the old Odyssey battery in the garage for a wile. Then I set it out to the road, hoping scrap guys would take it..No luck... I then set it out back for a year. After that the battery in my Wheel horse died, I stuck the old Odyssey in it & it still there working good. The Odyssey cranks that 14 HP Kohler better that any garden tractor battery I ever used... My bike just didn't like it...

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old Oct 30th, 2015, 2:14 am

Garage

Scott,

I'm sure you have checked it. However, I had a problem on my 2000 where the ABS lights would start flashing on a ride, seemed to happen when I was climbing to altitude (Trail Ridge, Pikes Peak, Mt, Evans, etc).

Drove me crazy, tried all the normal stuff, until I finally checked the sensor distance on the front and rear wheels. The rear sensor ring was/is out of round slightly. Adjusted the sensor at the widest gap of the ring, no more failures in thousands of miles.

Just something to think about.

Don Wreyford
BMWMOA, 91738
RA 27032
ABC 7915
00 LT, 84 RS, 98 GS, 76R75/6
"An Elephant is eaten one bite at a time"
!
Old Oct 31st, 2015, 9:35 am

Reading fault code (using GS911 or other means) tells the reason for ABS faults - no need to guess and speculate.

Born to be wild so why not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in