• 6 Post By norton
  • 3 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By katnapinn
  • 1 Post By Jim_McG
  • 1 Post By rattler50

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 4:14 pm Thread Starter

Forgive me for I have sinned

I have sinned and allowed the lure of a new girl to almost come between me and my big black beauty. I hope she can still love me the way I do her, but I would understand if she did not. I will confess that I saw some ridiculously low prices being asked by Triumph dealers for their left over 2014 Trophies. I saw new Trophies listed anywhere from $14,999 up to $15,999 + fees. So I called a few dealers and evidently it is true, they are not selling. On top of that Triumph is throwing in an $1,100 dollar Top box system and TPMS at no cost. I hope you can see why the temptation made me go and test ride one, I was in shock at the great deal and I always had an eye on the Trophy, I hope she didn't hear that. Anyway to make a long story short, I liked it OK but was not that impressed since several things did not feel as good as the old girl. I got a great trade offer and only had to come up with $8,500 to own a new Trophy. I slept on it and awoke to a beautiful day so I went for a ride on the LT thinking this may be the last one. I was actually feeling a little sad until I got five miles from home and it hit me and I said WTF was I thinking, I love this frigging bike. It fits like my old leather recliner and has been farklized to my ultimate content. So I rode for an hour got home and sent the an e-mail to the three dealers that had quoted me numbers. I said I road the LT this morning and I realized that I already have the perfect bike and thanked them for their time and quotes and wished them luck selling the Trophy.

I have sworn off Cycle trader and Ebay motors.

Wow I feel better now that I got that off my chest.

Scott
2007 LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 7:07 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Forgive me for I have sinned

No, you were about to sin but you saw the error of your ways before you committed the act. But no one would blame you as the Trophy is a nice machine but it is not an LT.
radar41, Patric and Lee510 like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 7:27 pm

I looked at the Trophy SE. I was impressed with the luggage system that it moves/flexes going into turns via a gas cylinder with double piston on each bag and the trunk. The inline triple is awesome. But its not a true tourer . It's a sport tourer. Nice. But I'll keep the LT.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2015, 3:51 am

I had a Triumph Sprint Sport 900 1996 prior to my LT. I loved the bike when it would run but spent more time with carb problems enough for me to sell it back to the original dealer for his collection. However the engine when running right was a dream. It had so much bottom end torque this thing could pull like a train. The triples were made by Cosworth for Triumph in their resurrection and were over engineered and totally bulletproof. Had I had a later model with fuel injection I could possibly still be riding one, but the driving position was a little to much aimed at sports riding and after a while my wrists would begin to hurt along with my back. I waited for the new Trophy's to come out but alas was not impressed with the amount of plastic it was made of. One drop and that front end is an expensive fix. So I picked an LT and have enjoyed riding now more than ever. All service work on her now complete with the last fluid change on the brakes done by BigHopper (Thank God for guys like him) fluid was the colour of dark coffee. I now know she is ready for anything and distance. So glad I picked the LT.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #5 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2015, 4:48 am Thread Starter

Well, I feel better to know others have been tempted. Now that I have seen the light, I am planning a trip to Nova Scotia to make nice with the big girl.

Scott
2007 LT
post #6 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2015, 5:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
I had a Triumph Sprint Sport 900 1996 prior to my LT. I loved the bike when it would run but spent more time with carb problems enough for me to sell it back to the original dealer for his collection. However the engine when running right was a dream. It had so much bottom end torque this thing could pull like a train. The triples were made by Cosworth for Triumph in their resurrection and were over engineered and totally bulletproof. Had I had a later model with fuel injection I could possibly still be riding one, but the driving position was a little to much aimed at sports riding and after a while my wrists would begin to hurt along with my back. I waited for the new Trophy's to come out but alas was not impressed with the amount of plastic it was made of. One drop and that front end is an expensive fix. So I picked an LT and have enjoyed riding now more than ever. All service work on her now complete with the last fluid change on the brakes done by BigHopper (Thank God for guys like him) fluid was the colour of dark coffee. I now know she is ready for anything and distance. So glad I picked the LT.
I to had an 2001 triumph Trophy 1200 four cylinder carburettor bike which I liked except it was also a top heavy bitch and every spring I would have to get the carbs cleaned despite using gas treatment. Also the chain was a pain in the ass. I traded her in for my 2007 LT after test riding and fell in love with the BMW.

Scott
2007 LT
post #7 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2015, 6:56 am
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
No, you were about to sin but you saw the error of your ways before you committed the act. But no one would blame you as the Trophy is a nice machine but it is not an LT.
So true.

I tell my wife all the time
" I'm Married, Not Buried, I can look as long as I don't touch"
Lee510 likes this.

Stevie Shreeve
post #8 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2015, 8:38 am

Garage

Yep, any time I am tempted to buy a new bike, I just go for a long ride on the LT and I fall in love all over again.
Something about leaning that big comfortable pig into a corner, twisting the throttle and rocketing out of the corner with a big old grin.
I also love showing up at a ride with other bikes and having something different. Everyone else is on Harleys, or clones. Nice to be different.
Man, I need to get home and ride her again, currently in Bismark ND waiting on a plane.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #9 of 18 Old Jun 26th, 2015, 10:17 am

I agree with jzeiler and katnapinn that no sin was committed, but Jimmy Carter with his lust in his heart might disagree!
johnbaker15 likes this.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #10 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 1:10 pm

Polygamy doesn't apply to bikes. No two of them ride the same. I have a full harem and there is no jealousy!

Randy

47' Schwinn Whizzer H
50' Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer J
67' T-100R Triumph Tiger
83' CT100 Honda Trail
86' TR200 Honda Fat Cat
94' FLHR Harley Roadking
04' Von Dutch Cruel World
04' 1200KLT BMW
05' AN400 Suzuki Burgman
06' 250 Aprilla Scarabeo
07' 125 Yamaha Vino
11' Victory Vision

Not enough room to list the "sold" bikes....

post #11 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 3:06 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_ryder1964 View Post
Polygamy doesn't apply to bikes. No two of them ride the same. I have a full harem and there is no jealousy!
I am in complete agreement with that concept and would love to have several more. Unfortunately due to the complex way my womans mind works (to be polite), and by no means do I understand that at all, will allow me the option of having more than one. She already says I care more for the LT then her so if I got another bike I'm sure the S(^&*) would hit the fan. I really want to tell to her, but dare not, well the reason the LT is my baby is because she does not fight with me, or make me feel inadequate or makes me do the housework or bitches about the most insignificant things or tells me the same boring stories over and over about her stupid co-workers, etc, etc. My LT does though give me pleasure every time I'm with her, riding her, cleaning her or working on her. It is for the simple reason the LT utters not a word but always gives me the best pleasure I can have with clothes on.

Scott
2007 LT
post #12 of 18 Old Jun 27th, 2015, 9:10 pm

I can understand. I've been coveting the 2015 R1200RTs with all their gizmos, mostly because it's a lighter bike. I have neck issues that after a few hours on the LT my neck and shoulders are screaming at me, and I've adjusted the LT's bars and done all sorts of other stuff but the problem sadly remains (old car accident injury). I love the way the LT rides - it's so smooth, handles so beautifully, and is super comfortable for one's butt. The coveting contrinues, but there are about 25,000 good reasons why I haven't done anything other than look. Oh and my wife might kill me....

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #13 of 18 Old Jun 30th, 2015, 11:55 pm

Love the Triples, I rode a Tiger for 10 years. I thought if they would build a bike like the trophy it would be perfect. I almost pulled the trigger but I rode the new GS and that was thAt! Troubles with the electronics in early Trophy models, particularly test bikes sent to bike mags, doomed the bike. I wish they had "dumbed it down" some and not tried to exceed their electronic capabilities.

Too bad, the bike will likely be dropped from the lineup.

Bob Lower
Casper, WY

'01 K1200LT
'03 R1150 RT
'13 R1200GS
'79 R100T w/Hack
'10 Triumph Thunderbird
'09 Triumph Bonneville
'07 Guzzi Norge
'88 HD FLHS
post #14 of 18 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 6:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatbob307 View Post
Love the Triples, I rode a Tiger for 10 years. I thought if they would build a bike like the trophy it would be perfect. I almost pulled the trigger but I rode the new GS and that was thAt! Troubles with the electronics in early Trophy models, particularly test bikes sent to bike mags, doomed the bike. I wish they had "dumbed it down" some and not tried to exceed their electronic capabilities.

Too bad, the bike will likely be dropped from the lineup.
After perusing all the trophy forums and noticing all the problems the Trophies had, makes the LT issues seem like nothing. The early Trophies 12's & 13's where having to replace heads due to valve train issues, gas tanks ,ECU's, many electronic gremlins and there are not a lot of accessories out there for them due to the low number of units sold. Guys were doing home grown mods for lowering pegs, adding arm rests and better windshields. Triumph should of provided more accessories since the private market did not do it. Also when talking to the sales guy about the bike they are less than upbeat and sort of make excuses why they are not selling, totally turned me off.

Scott
2007 LT
post #15 of 18 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:25 am

Triumph, like McDonalds and KFC have to many items in their menu line up. Triumph needs to reduce the number of models available and concentrate on their best sellers style. They used to make incredible scrambling bikes in the day, so off road would be one style to focus on. Next should be racing, the triples are a totally amazing engine with the sweetest sound imaginable. Other manufacturers are looking at triples of their own now due to triumph. Leave the big touring bikes to the manufacturers who do it best. You can't please everyone to try could mean their second death.

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #16 of 18 Old Jul 2nd, 2015, 3:54 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chayside View Post
Triumph, like McDonalds and KFC have to many items in their menu line up. Triumph needs to reduce the number of models available and concentrate on their best sellers style. They used to make incredible scrambling bikes in the day, so off road would be one style to focus on. Next should be racing, the triples are a totally amazing engine with the sweetest sound imaginable. Other manufacturers are looking at triples of their own now due to triumph. Leave the big touring bikes to the manufacturers who do it best. You can't please everyone to try could mean their second death.
Good point, back in the late 60's and early 70's I used to ride Triumphs and BSA's in motocross and enduro's and loved the bikes. I was a hold out and rode them when everyone was abandoning them for the two strokes. If they came out with an updated 500 to 600 cc single adventure bike under 10K I would have one. I would also love a small lightweight twin like there old 500 cc Daytona but its all about huge displacement anymore.

Scott
2007 LT
post #17 of 18 Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 7:32 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowie View Post
I can understand. I've been coveting the 2015 R1200RTs with all their gizmos, mostly because it's a lighter bike. I have neck issues that after a few hours on the LT my neck and shoulders are screaming at me, and I've adjusted the LT's bars and done all sorts of other stuff but the problem sadly remains (old car accident injury). I love the way the LT rides - it's so smooth, handles so beautifully, and is super comfortable for one's butt. The coveting contrinues, but there are about 25,000 good reasons why I haven't done anything other than look. Oh and my wife might kill me....
You need a back rest. My back and shoulders were in major pain until I made a back rest. It solved the problem letting my back and shoulders rest. Now I can ride endless miles. (Saddle Sore 1000 last year)

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #18 of 18 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 10:57 am

You can't trade up from an LT.............
Voyager likes this.

2006 R1200RT
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue
2003 K1200LTE Black
Totaled Oct 2, 2010
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000
Most of us would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in