Replace GPS - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TWAustin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2015, 4:10 pm Thread Starter

Replace GPS

I recently purchased a 2009 LT that still has the BMW Motorrad III Navigator on it. Anyone have experience with replacing it with a more recent version GPS? I'm looking for something that would be simple to mount and simple to connect to power. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ride safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 24th, 2015, 9:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Replace GPS

I replaced my Nav III with a 590LM. It was relatively easy, but required removal of the stingray, widening the hole in it leading to the mount to accommodate the additional wiring (USB connection), and adding some nylon spacers (approximately 1/2 inch) between the stock mount and the cradle. Hooked up power to my fuse block so power is on all the time. I'm thinking of changing it to switched power, as whenever I pop the unit into the cradle, it goes live and I'm not sure I like that.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 8:43 am

Mine didn't come with a factory gps and thankful it didn't.
I got Garmin zumo 550. Love it

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 10:37 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses. I was hoping to come up with a solution that did not require removal of the stingray and adding new wiring - for me, that could turn into a big project. Did the 590LM fit into the existing mount, or did you have to replace it?

Also, does the bike have an auxiliary power outlet that could be used to power a separately installed GPS unit? Like, run the GPS on its own battery power, and just plug it in to recharge when it gets low?

Thanks for bearing with me. Adding a GPS to my '98 Valkyrie was a whole lot easier!
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 1:30 pm

Tony I have an 2008 and last year when I was having problems with my Nav 111 I called Garmin and for a small fee (don't remember how much) they had me mail the Nav unit to them in exchange for a Garmin 550. I used the same mount as the Nav unit but I needed to run a new wire harness to the unit. If you ask on this web site for help installing the wiring you'll get help you need and make some new friends as well.

08 BMW k1200lt
05 BMW K1200lt sold
01 Kawi 800 clasic my loud pipe bike
94 Hon RX 100cc going strong
91 Hon 750 gone
87 Suz 750 gone
76 Goldwing 1000 retired
71 Hon 750 long gone

Jesus said I give you a new command "Love one another as I have Loved you". John 13;34 niv
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 3:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Since you just got the LT, eventually, you will need to perform some maintenance on it, either by yourself, or through getting someone else to do it for you. If you pay someone else to do it, you will quickly get to know why BMW means "Bring More Wallet".

Therefore, if you would like to save a lot of money, I would suggest using your GPS replacement project as a starting point for becoming more familiar with the bike. If you go to illinoisbmwriders.com, they have a wealth of videos walking you through a variety of maintenance and repair procedures, with one devoted to tupperware removal, which may be a little intimidating at first, but once done, there is really nothing to it.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 4:17 pm Thread Starter

Thanks, Steve, I'll give this a try.
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:35 am

I have an old, been-to-the-wars Zumo 550 on Beano, the 2005 LT, and a Zumo-based Motorrad that came on Bismarck, the 2007. As far as I can tell the units are physically identical with some software differences between the two. One that is irritating is that the Motorrad version puts a dealer locator on the Where To screen where the Routes "button" is on the Zumo and I have to page once to get to Routes. There seem to be subtle differences in tracking and function but these may come from having a more recent map update in the Zumo (lifetime updates on that unit only) than on the Motorrad version, or from having user preferences set differently.

I had previous version of BMW's Motorrad and threw them away due to weak screens I couldn't see in the sun. I don't think you can go wrong with a Zumo or Zumo-based unit.
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:36 am

I have an old, been-to-the-wars Zumo 550 on Beano, the 2005 LT, and a Zumo-based Motorrad that came on Bismarck, the 2007. As far as I can tell the units are physically identical with some software differences between the two. One that is irritating is that the Motorrad version puts a dealer locator on the Where To screen where the Routes "button" is on the Zumo and I have to page once to get to Routes. There seem to be subtle differences in tracking and function but these may come from having a more recent map update in the Zumo (lifetime updates on that unit only) than on the Motorrad version, or from having user preferences set differently.

I had previous versions of BMW's Motorrad and threw them away due to weak screens I couldn't see in the sun. I don't think you can go wrong with a Zumo or Zumo-based unit.
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 28th, 2015, 8:44 pm

I have been messing with the Mapfactor Navigator app on my Galaxy S5. I took it on the Concours and was surprised how well it worked. including (cover your ears) on the fly route changes, it worked much better than the portable Garmin I have in the car. And the touch screen works fine with ordinary leather gloves. zoom in, out, scroll, with a pinch of the fingers. It uses tom tom data and was completely free although they have a paid "better tom tom maps" lane preference etc. option.
What's really cool (and a bit scary) is it notices recent email and even google searches from my laptop computer and quickly fills in addresses after just a couple of letters/ numbers are entered!

The Mapfactor navigator allows me to download the map data to an SD card, no cell signal needed! With the Ulysse dash board app which also overlays the GPS map with gauges, I could get rid of most of the MC gauges!

Here's only one example of the near endless ways it can be configured.

Also has an accelerometer, you can do performance comparisons, trip meters, speed alerts and who knows how many other cool toys.
The charger I used was weak and the phone battery was slowly draining, even while charging but will try it with a better charger tomorrow.
Still working on phone mount options but near the left grip seems optimal.
Next up is finding a nice in ear blue tooth instead of a helmet blue tooth. I think it may allow the "holy grail" of voice address searches etc.

Get off the bike, pocket the phone and walk away.

K1200LT gone, beater 1100RT on the way
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 8:30 am

My 07LT came with the NAVIII. When my wonderful wife bought me a 12 RT it had a NAVIV. The dealer put a NAVIV mount on the LT (same holes and plug they said.) so I just put the unit on whichever bike I'm riding.

Bruce

Bruce Buchner
2017 R1200RT Platinum Bronze Metallic
2012 R1200RT Fluid Grey Metallic (Little Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2007 K1200LT Storm Grey Metallic (Big Girl) Traded on the 2017 RT
2001 325XI 4dr Sold
1967 2000CS Coupe (Left it in Germany)
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 1st, 2015, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great suggestions and info. I decided to go with a Zumo 660 and bought a mount that fits on the stock mount on the bike. A little wiring work and I should be good to go.

Dave, thanks for the advice and the link to the video. What a great resource for those of us who are truly novices (I grew up working on cars and bikes, but haven't done any work on anything to speak of in at least 20 years - and technology has really passed me by now). But with resources like this, I may be able to actually do some of the simple stuff myself. Maybe it'll save me from having to BMW (bring more wallet).
JNW003 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in