Flawless Perfromance - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 8:36 am Thread Starter

Flawless Perfromance

Just wanted to share how proud I am of my 03LT. Just completed a 1200 mile 3 day trip and she did not miss a beat. What a great a machine!

Trip Out: Left the Minneapolis, MN area at 11:30am last Thursday heading for Rapid City, South Dakota. Decided to take the scenic route out so was on 55mph 2 lane roads going though small towns all the way. I wanted to see what kind of gas mileage I could get taking it easy so I set the cruise for 60mph GPS speed (66mph) indicated and rode for 8 hours with stops and put 400 miles on her. When I pulled into the motel in Pierre, SD my MPG reading for the entire 400 miles was 50 miles per gallon. I was amazed at how little 91 Octane no ethanol premium she sipped at that relaxed pace. Day 2 was 200 miles with some freeway and 65mph speed limit so for the entire 600 mile trip after day 2 the average dropped to 48.5.

Trip Back: I had one day to cover almost 600 miles so I took I-90 back. Speed limit in South Dakota is 80MPH so I set the cruise at 82 (90mph) indicated and rode three 200 mile legs. At that speed she still managed 38MPG average. The last 180 miles was 2 lane Minnesota roads so the pace slowed to 65MPH and the average for the whole trip was 40.2 MPG. Did the whole trip in 9 hours with just a couple of 5 minute stops for gas and it was no sweat.

Final Observations: I am amazed at the economy, performance, and comfort of this machine. This was my first long trip on her and I could not be more pleased. At 90mph indicated she was smooth as silk. I have a Corbin seat with backrest and used an Airhawk seat pad and was very comfortable going close to 200 miles at a crack. I found that shifting my position regularly eased any butt and leg fatigue. That engine ran at over 4000rpm for hours on end and never missed a beat. I know that is what these bikes are designed for but it still makes me smile! Now she will get a bath and an oil change and will go back to 30 mile local rides till late summer when we go to the Ozarks in Arkansas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 9:41 am

Re: Flawless Perfromance

I just rode mine solo to Austin Tx and back. Did all interstate and trip back all in one day. 1k miles each way. That was farthest I ever rode in 1 day. I've done quite a few 500 to 600 mile days with the wife. The LT is hard to beat on long trips and it's never let me down in 10yrs.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 23rd, 2015, 9:58 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Flawless Perfromance

Ain't it great?!?!

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in