replacing brake lines - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 12:07 pm Thread Starter

replacing brake lines

Hey all, I sprung a leak in one the rear brake lines on my 2000 Lt...I bought some speiger replacements and was on my way to swapping them when I ran across this...replacing brake lines-gedc0153.jpg

I don't have a clue as to what that do-hicky is where the bleeder valve is supposed to be. Does anybody know what this is?!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 12:38 pm

Re: replacing brake lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by qdog1016 View Post
Hey all, I sprung a leak in one the rear brake lines on my 2000 Lt...I bought some speiger replacements and was on my way to swapping them when I ran across this...Attachment 83058

I don't have a clue as to what that do-hicky is where the bleeder valve is supposed to be. Does anybody know what this is?!!!
This so-called "filling adapter" has been used on production at factory for many years. You will need to get a separate bleeder (Metric 10 with pitch thread 1 mm) to thread either at:
1) hole under the small hex cap screw (bleeder need short bottom tip for this to work)
2) hole under the whole filler adapter (normal tip bleeder)

WARNING: the small hex cap screw is easy to strip as it is hard to undo because corrosion gets inside threads. On the other hand the filler adapter is ever worse as it is installed at factory with strong thread-locking compound (need heat to remove in many cases).

See attached PDF for Service-Bulletin explaining the issue...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Brake_and_clutch_BLEED_SCREWS_modification.pdf (1.10 MB, 82 views)

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 1:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks much!

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 3:34 pm

I replaced the brake lines with Spiegler SS lines on my 99 last winter. I went to my local, friendly dealer and asked about the same port. He sold me a plastic, screw-in adapter for a couple of bucks. (Least expensive BMW dealership repair visit in history. I know.) You only need to pry off the cover/cap, screw in the plastic adapter, and use the fitting to bleed the fluid. When you've finished the new line installation, unscrew the adapter and pop the cap back on. Done. Put the adapter someplace where you can find it for the next time you bleed the brake lines.

The dealer said not to just leave the adapter in place as the pointed end displaces the spring-loaded ball bearing valve at the bottom of the filler. Leaving the adapter in place could allow the spring to fail while letting air/humidity to potentially enter the circuit.

I know there are all kinds of threads here about how to remove that factory-installed filler, but this little device is way, way less complicated. And, you can't mess up the factory piece, costing you even more to fix that.

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in