Can you predict rear drive failure? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 11:40 am Thread Starter

Can you predict rear drive failure?

I often wondered if it was possible and my experience might provide some insight.
I've been having the oil analyzed every time I've changed the rear drive lube. (Engineeres have to have data!!)
Typically I change the rear drive lube at every engine oil change. This has varied from 3500 Km to 8500 Km.
The analysis checks for wear products such as: iron, chromium, nickel,titanium,copper,aluminum, tin, lead and lists them as ppm in the volume of oil in the drive.
I "normalize" the results by dividing these ppm values by the number of Km driven between changes.
This graph shows the results since 2008. The amount of iron has been steadily increasing which indicates increasing wear on the ring and pinion.
Chromium has also been increasing and chromium is one of the metals used in the ball bearings.
At this point, my LT has 54000 km and a leak has started to develop at the rear drive and a slight looseness can be felt in the rear wheel.
All of this would seem to indicate that failure is close.
Thoughts and comments????
JIm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear drive oil analysis.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	82730  

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 3:40 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Can you predict rear drive failure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealWing View Post
I often wondered if it was possible and my experience might provide some insight.
I've been having the oil analyzed every time I've changed the rear drive lube. (Engineeres have to have data!!)
Typically I change the rear drive lube at every engine oil change. This has varied from 3500 Km to 8500 Km.
The analysis checks for wear products such as: iron, chromium, nickel,titanium,copper,aluminum, tin, lead and lists them as ppm in the volume of oil in the drive.
I "normalize" the results by dividing these ppm values by the number of Km driven between changes.
This graph shows the results since 2008. The amount of iron has been steadily increasing which indicates increasing wear on the ring and pinion.
Chromium has also been increasing and chromium is one of the metals used in the ball bearings.
At this point, my LT has 54000 km and a leak has started to develop at the rear drive and a slight looseness can be felt in the rear wheel.
All of this would seem to indicate that failure is close.
Thoughts and comments????
JIm
It is even easier than that. If you have an LT built in 1999 to 2009 and ride it more than 50,000 miles I can predict that you will have a final drive failure!

It sure sounds like you are ready for an FD rebuild. Time to call Saddleman.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 4:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
It is even easier than that. If you have an LT built in 1999 to 2009 and ride it more than 50,000 miles I can predict that you will have a final drive failure!

It sure sounds like you are ready for an FD rebuild. Time to call Saddleman.
Nope - traded it on a K1600GTL!!!!!

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 4:31 pm
Enjoy The Ride

One thing you can do is to feel the FD with the palm of your hand when it is hot from a 20 plus mile ride. The thick part of your palm should be able to stay on the FD for a little bit. If you can't hold the thick part of your palm on the FD for just a little bit it is over shimmed.

I have over 20 hours in the FD I'm rebuilding right now & I'm still not ready to assemble it yet.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 7:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
One thing you can do is to feel the FD with the palm of your hand when it is hot from a 20 plus mile ride. The thick part of your palm should be able to stay on the FD for a little bit. If you can't hold the thick part of your palm on the FD for just a little bit it is over shimmed.

I have over 20 hours in the FD I'm rebuilding right now & I'm still not ready to assemble it yet.

Wow Dave I would not want that billthis has to be ery unusual what problems did you run into

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 9:03 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Wow Dave I would not want that billthis has to be ery unusual what problems did you run into
I charge the same amount for labor regardless of how much time I have in the rebuild. This one I had to re shim the back lash & ring and pinion contact pattern after repairing the spun taper bearing.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #7 of 7 Old Jun 25th, 2015, 10:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post

I tried this today, 40 minutes on the highway at 120 kph, 75 degrees F, FD just between lukewarm and hot, could touch for 10 seconds no problem. The lower part that holds the oil cooler than the top part. Hope this bodes well for the FD.
101,000 kilometers on the bike.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in