problems with k12lt 04 immobiliser - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 6:26 am Thread Starter

problems with k12lt 04 immobiliser

Hi all

i'm hoping someone out there can help with a problem i have.

i recently took my 04 Lt to an authorised garage to have the ABS servo swapped out (which went ok) but on the test ride after doing the work the bike broke down (whilst running) with a dead battery. the bike will now not start, its been hooked up to a fault finder and has no faults whatsoever. the fuel pump is kicking in and the starter motor is turning but there is no spark. apparently the alarm is blipping on and off as usual so everything is normal apart from it not sparking.

Has anyone come across this before? if so did you find a remedy?

All info will be greatfully received as this has been goin on for over a month now and my poor mechanic (with 20 odd years experience at a dealership) is pulling his already greying hair out lol

many thanks

Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 10:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: problems with k12lt 04 immobiliser

You have to reset the alarm. Dead battery screws up the alarm settings. I don't have the alarm on mine, so someone else will have to chime in on how to reset it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 7:58 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Morning Andy.
Do I understand from your post you have replaced the ABS pump or do you mean by "swapped out "you have removed it and bypassed it ?
Low battery volts cause chaos on these bikes so that would be my first suggestion. Get the battery sorted first.
Re-reading your post sounds like the ABS $$$$ was replaced. Maybe some connections went south during assembly.
Also with respect to Dean, I have often had the battery disconnected on Jenna ( for many many months at a time ) and the alarm has retained all the previous settings. Having said that, they do have a separate internal battery (charged by the bikes system ) to power the unit and I guess that helped. YMMV
If the Alarm LED is still flashing as you said, perhaps in a default mode, then reprogramming it with the fob may help.
I'm sure JZ will chime in and have the answer.
HTH

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2

post #4 of 5 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 10:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Since you are across the pond you have a face lift bike (our 05). Often the alarm does go in to immobilizer ON default if the battery was disconnected for any amount of time. But that also disables the starter so I do not suspect the alarm. Just the same try arming and disarming the alarm (or is that what you meant by the alarm blipping OK) and see what happens. If no joy then we need to look further. Could be a split hose in the fuel tank. You said no spark but did you actually test for a spark and found none? I would suspect the fuel line in the tank as the spark is fed switched power from the ignition switch and fired by the ECU.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 3:59 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the replies guys,

yeah sorry bout the northern uk speech coming out lol

the abs servo was changed for another one and the alarm is switching on and off ( as far as i know) correctly. and there is a new battery now attached to the bike.

as i said in previous the bike broke down on a testride (which my mechanic was undertaking) due to a flat battery (apparently the battery had voltage but immediately lost ampage if thats any help). apparently someone stopped a few minutes later who had a battery booster pack which was hooked upto the bike. this is when the bike refused to start.

as for the spark im not sure if hes taken out a plug and earthed it on the frame to check for spark, i just took it that he has but what i shall do is email him your answers if that is ok with you guys?

many thanks again

Andy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in