Coolant Temp - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By deanwoolsey
  • 1 Post By Voyager

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 9:10 am Thread Starter

Coolant Temp

Was in the mountains of New Mex. yesterday when I noticed that the temp gauge started to tick upwards....any reason for this?

All across the states it ran about a needle width below center line, now in the mountains it's about about 2 needles width above center line. Seems to settle out at that point and maybe even drop a little.

Is it because the engine is just having to work harder or maybe a little less air ?

Mainly just want some reassurance from someone that this is a common problem, last thing I want is to be broke down 2000 miles from home.

Thanks

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 10:48 am

Re: Coolant Temp

The smart people will likely respond to this but it may be the engine is running leaner ( hotter) due to the lower atmospheric pressure at altitude and simply producing more heat as a result. Normally at altitude, the air temp is lower so this is an interesting phenomena. Possibly lower air density carries less heat away from the radiators also decreasing overall efficiency.

Waiting to be corrected at any moment

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti View Post
Was in the mountains of New Mex. yesterday when I noticed that the temp gauge started to tick upwards....any reason for this?

All across the states it ran about a needle width below center line, now in the mountains it's about about 2 needles width above center line. Seems to settle out at that point and maybe even drop a little.

Is it because the engine is just having to work harder or maybe a little less air ?

Mainly just want some reassurance from someone that this is a common problem, last thing I want is to be broke down 2000 miles from home.

Thanks
I was up in the mountains of Colorado before the Sedalia national pulling a Bunkhouse trailer and mine hit the red zone and I had to let it cool off a bit. I have a feeling the altitude and slow speeds had something to do with it.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 11:20 am
Lifetime Supporter

Work = heat, so running at high altitudes usually means seeing many more uphill grades and there's much more heat to dissipate. About all you can do is make sure the radiator fins are free of bugs and check the coolant level. Remember too that the LT is a relatively high RPM engine, so downshifting and keeping the RPMs above 4000 can help greatly.
copperstatetour likes this.

post #5 of 9 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 6:38 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Work = heat, so running at high altitudes usually means seeing many more uphill grades and there's much more heat to dissipate. About all you can do is make sure the radiator fins are free of bugs and check the coolant level. Remember too that the LT is a relatively high RPM engine, so downshifting and keeping the RPMs above 4000 can help greatly.
I thought the more speed you have and less RPM was the answer I guess not

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 8:03 am

Cooling efficiency de-rates at 3300asl. Does this for all things, not just bikes. Thinner air = less cooling efficiency.
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 9:36 am

Yup - altitude means more work plus thinner air. Net result - motor works harder and therefore hotter.

Mine always runs hotter in the mountains, meaning the fans come on more often. Unless for some reason you're constantly in the red, it sounds normal to me.

BMWMOA member

Current rides:
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic BMW K1200LT
2002 Pearl Orange Honda VTX1800 Retro

Prior rides:
Suzuki GS425E (Australia)
Suzuki T250R (Australia)
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 9:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
I thought the more speed you have and less RPM was the answer I guess not
Generally more RPM is better, up to a point. You get more friction at high RPM which creates a little more heat, but you also get a lot more coolant flow since the water pump on most engines runs at a speed that is a direct function of engine speed. So you get a little more heat generation, but a lot more coolant flow which is a good trade.
copperstatetour likes this.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 9 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Voyager is right, live in AZ where I do a lot of mountains and high altitude (at this time of the year the only place you can ride is high elevations). I have found repeatedly that unless I am on a plateau that keeping those RPMs around the 4,000 mark will keep my engine running right around (a little above) the middle mark where it normally lives. When I let the engine wallow around in the 3k range the water temp goes up.

I generally prefer higher RPM's in the mountains because I have more power immediately available for when the grade changes to uphill, also already in a lower gear to get some added engine braking when it switches to downhill - win / win in my book.

-Steve

2009 BMW R1200RT
2000 BMW K1200LT (was supposed to be replaced by above, but can't keep above running long enough to replace
)
2000 BMW R1200C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in