Anyone in Upstate, SC with a Russell Day Long? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By hd_ryder1964

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 7:53 am Thread Starter

Anyone in Upstate, SC with a Russell Day Long?

I was messaging with hschisler about his Russell Day-Long seat, and he recommended I post to see if anyone has one in my area I could borrow for one day to test.

I am beginning my planning for the Iron Butt 48 states in 10 days craziness, which I am hoping to embark upon next Spring. Something about it is just calling me, and I figure I better do it while I'm relatively young

Anyhow, if anyone would be willing to let me commute one day on it (I have an 80 mile round-trip commute) or perhaps ride with me on a weekend day in the mountains, I would be eternally grateful! Nothing like spending $700+ dollars on the wrong seat!

Thanks so much,
Adam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 8:57 am

Re: Anyone in Upstate, SC with a Russell Day Long?

Quote:
I am beginning my planning for the Iron Butt 48 states in 10 days craziness
I love riding as much as the next man but I just can't imagine that.......wow

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
__________________________________________________ _________
John aka Frank Nitti

2003 K1200LT-E
1993 HD Fatboy...Gone, But not Forgotten
2000 Honda Gold Wing/Motor Trike Conv.
MOA #186960

Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me; I want people to know 'why' I look this way.
I've traveled a long way, and some of the roads weren't paved.
Will Rogers
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 9:52 am

Just an FYI. I'm 6'4 250lbs with a 36" inseam. I went thru the process for a Russell Day Long. Had them cover mine with the basket weave.
Love the seat!

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 10:03 am

Adam,
I'm in Greer SC. I had a Russell Day Long saddle made in 2012, I like it but it takes a little getting used to. I'm 6'-0" 245# with a 32" inseam, I the "Heavy-Duty Suspension" added to my seat... AKA fat boy pads, they support more of your upper thighs and backside. The pads make it more comfortable but the also make it a little harder to sit flat footed on the ground.
Russell makes the seat to fit you. They want your height, weight, inseam and photos of you sitting on your bike. Borrowing a seat, or test riding it on someone elses bike wouldn't do the saddle justice.

Randy

47' Schwinn Whizzer H
50' Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer J
67' T-100R Triumph Tiger
83' CT100 Honda Trail
86' TR200 Honda Fat Cat
94' FLHR Harley Roadking
04' Von Dutch Cruel World
04' 1200KLT BMW
05' AN400 Suzuki Burgman
06' 250 Aprilla Scarabeo
07' 125 Yamaha Vino
11' Victory Vision

Not enough room to list the "sold" bikes....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankNitti View Post
I love riding as much as the next man but I just can't imagine that.......wow
When I first heard about it, it just seemed like something I wanted to do No explanation possible, haha.
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 10:38 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_ryder1964 View Post
Adam,
I'm in Greer SC. I had a Russell Day Long saddle made in 2012, I like it but it takes a little getting used to. I'm 6'-0" 245# with a 32" inseam, I the "Heavy-Duty Suspension" added to my seat... AKA fat boy pads, they support more of your upper thighs and backside. The pads make it more comfortable but the also make it a little harder to sit flat footed on the ground.
Russell makes the seat to fit you. They want your height, weight, inseam and photos of you sitting on your bike. Borrowing a seat, or test riding it on someone elses bike wouldn't do the saddle justice.
I'm 6'2, 250lbs with a 34" inseam... Didn't realize until reviewing the order form just now that they were that specific!

BTW - I'm in Spartanburg... Do you ride much? I ride my daily commute (even in this heat!) and usually a longer stretch one day each weekend. We should get together for a ride some time!

Thanks, Adam.
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:22 pm

Plan B. Check with Mean City Cycles in Maiden, NC for a seat rebuild. I have used them several times and have been pleased with their work. Will be a lot cheaper that a new seat. They have a pretty good website that will explain what they do. Good Luck with your decision.
Leon
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 12:51 pm

Adam,
I ride all the time... like you I ride to work almost everyday. I don't usually want to ride to work in the rain but an afternoon shower on the way home is worth a nice ride into work.
My BMW is my main ride during the warmer months, a big air cooled V twin just puts off too much heat!
shreksbrother likes this.

Randy

47' Schwinn Whizzer H
50' Roadmaster Cycletruck Whizzer J
67' T-100R Triumph Tiger
83' CT100 Honda Trail
86' TR200 Honda Fat Cat
94' FLHR Harley Roadking
04' Von Dutch Cruel World
04' 1200KLT BMW
05' AN400 Suzuki Burgman
06' 250 Aprilla Scarabeo
07' 125 Yamaha Vino
11' Victory Vision

Not enough room to list the "sold" bikes....

post #9 of 15 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd_ryder1964 View Post
Adam,
That's a good point, although if Adam was able to find a Russell seat from someone who was similar in size/weight, etc., it would give him an idea of how the seat would perform for him.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 15 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 9:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler View Post
That's a good point, although if Adam was able to find a Russell seat from someone who was similar in size/weight, etc., it would give him an idea of how the seat would perform for him.
If nothing else, I will keep my eye out for one on here/MOA/eBay from someone with similar dimensions. I'm hoping to complete a SaddleSore 1000 this Fall, so if I have nothing by then, I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and buy one. It's amazing how quickly that seat adds up with features... I am sitting at $1025 the way I would like it configured.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Adam.

2000 K1200LT
2003 F650CS
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 6:32 am

Factor in time to have the seat built, depending on when you order you could be hitting the peak season. Also be prepared to have to send it back to have the seat adjusted. I went through the process of sitting on my bike and taking pictures along with sending my measurements but still needed to send it back to be reworked once I used it. I made the mistake of ordering it just in time for my trip to Alaska from Texas and never really tested it before I headed out. The seat was great for about 200 miles but after that I was squirming in the seat trying to find a comfortable spot. It made for some rough 500-600 mile days in the saddle. I am 240, 6 foot and with a 32 inseam and I had trouble flat footing as well. I also had the added support in the seat for being so husky, as my morther would so kindly refer to me as a lad.

Good luck with your search and if I am out your way in the next month or so I will be happy to let you try my seat. I am planning a trip in late July to Magee Valley to vist the Wheels through time museum.
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 4:45 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem View Post

I am planning a trip in late July to Magee Valley to vist the Wheels through time museum.
Be sure to take a gas mask with you for when they start up one of the old bikes in the building - I gagged there was so much smoke....

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #13 of 15 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 8:45 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralem View Post
Factor in time to have the seat built, depending on when you order you could be hitting the peak season. Also be prepared to have to send it back to have the seat adjusted. I went through the process of sitting on my bike and taking pictures along with sending my measurements but still needed to send it back to be reworked once I used it. I made the mistake of ordering it just in time for my trip to Alaska from Texas and never really tested it before I headed out. The seat was great for about 200 miles but after that I was squirming in the seat trying to find a comfortable spot. It made for some rough 500-600 mile days in the saddle. I am 240, 6 foot and with a 32 inseam and I had trouble flat footing as well. I also had the added support in the seat for being so husky, as my morther would so kindly refer to me as a lad.

Good luck with your search and if I am out your way in the next month or so I will be happy to let you try my seat. I am planning a trip in late July to Magee Valley to vist the Wheels through time museum.
Interestingly enough, I had never heard of that museum, and it is only 1 1/2 hours from me! I am definitely going to have to head up there. If you are visiting on a weekend, maybe we could meet up! I would love to plop my similarly husky rear end on your seat

Adam.

2000 K1200LT
2003 F650CS
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:37 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Here's a pix of what you can expect to see in the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley... The guy that runs it has/had a TV show called "What's in My Garage" (or something like it).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f882f473-7616-4074-a79f-758dcd8d53ad.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	82834  

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #15 of 15 Old Jun 22nd, 2015, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW003 View Post
Here's a pix of what you can expect to see in the Wheels Through Time museum in Maggie Valley... The guy that runs it has/had a TV show called "What's in My Garage" (or something like it).
I recognize that scene from your photo and seem to remember an episode where he got every bike in that place running in 24 hours or something...

Adam.

2000 K1200LT
2003 F650CS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in