Blue Tooth - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By BMW2464

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 11:50 am Thread Starter

Blue Tooth

Hello Everyone;
I'm new to this community but sad to say I am old. I ride a K1200LT, 06 vintage. All I ever hear is Blue Tooth, my question is What is Blue Tooth and how does it apply to motorcycles?

thank you
Offside likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 12:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Blue Tooth

Bluetooth is a type of two way radio data transmission.

The relation to bikes is we use bluetooth headsets to communicate with passengers, other riders and listen to music, GPS directions etc. all at the same time.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

so it's like a helmet walkie talkie?

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 2:55 pm

In a round about way, yes. Here is a link to a review of the Sena 20 device:
Sena 20S Review - webBikeWorld

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 4:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If you have a Nav III GPS system mounted on your '06 LT, it has Bluetooth capability to link with your smartphone or wireless headsets. I did with my '07, linking the Nav III with a Motorola smartphone and a Scala Cardo G9 helmet communications system. You can then receive turn-by-turn directions, listen to the headset's radio, or be distracted by telephone calls while you ride...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 4:41 pm Thread Starter

that sounds cool but it also sounds very complicated. I'll doubt if I wouldn't be able to use my bmw installed cb with all that stuff.
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 5:20 pm

I find two big advantages to having a blue tooth head set. 1) can easily converse with the wife (she really likes this) or other riders with compatible head sets on a group ride. 2) can listen to my iPod and hear the music clearly without having to have the on-bike stereo blasting while on the highway.

I don't currently have a GPS with blue tooth but plan on updating my old unit to one with blue tooth in the near future.

One big drawback that the manufacturers need to fix is each blue tooth headset manufacturer uses their own proprietary system so a Sena headset won't talk to a set from Cardo Scala or other brand. So if you ride with others, find out what they use before you buy.

I ride with the Sena SMH-10 and am very happy. Here is a link to a YouTube video that compares several different units and features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZnkbMZ_-U

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 6:37 pm Thread Starter

Thank you, I see I have some learning to do.
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 7:31 pm

I have a LikeNewInBox Cardo Scala Rider G9 Power Set (2 complete units, all accessories, box, manuals, etc for sale.

Antony (Tripod)
Dallas' Northern Suburbs
-----------------------------------------------

If you want to be happy for a day, drink.
If you want to be happy for a year, marry.
If you want to be happy for a lifetime, ride a motorcycle.

-----------------------------------------------

'05 K1200LT - Dark Graphite - RIP 04 OCT 2015

'99 Road King Classic - Custom Blue/Silver & Chrome - "My Baby" Gone but forever in my heart!

and many, many others.

post #10 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 6:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002 View Post
I find two big advantages to having a blue tooth head set. 1) can easily converse with the wife (she really likes this) or other riders with compatible head sets on a group ride. 2) can listen to my iPod and hear the music clearly without having to have the on-bike stereo blasting while on the highway.

I don't currently have a GPS with blue tooth but plan on updating my old unit to one with blue tooth in the near future.

One big drawback that the manufacturers need to fix is each blue tooth headset manufacturer uses their own proprietary system so a Sena headset won't talk to a set from Cardo Scala or other brand. So if you ride with others, find out what they use before you buy.

I ride with the Sena SMH-10 and am very happy. Here is a link to a YouTube video that compares several different units and features https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzZnkbMZ_-U
The Sena brand with the updated firmware advertises that they will pair with other brands. I have not personally tried it but have no reason to doubt it.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #11 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 8:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
The Sena brand with the updated firmware advertises that they will pair with other brands. I have not personally tried it but have no reason to doubt it.

Robert
Good to hear, will be interesting to see if it actually works. This has been a long time coming.

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 10:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverlt2002 View Post
Good to hear, will be interesting to see if it actually works. This has been a long time coming.
I just checked their webpage and they advertise that all of their models are "universal" and will pair with any brand.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in