Wired system to Wireless - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 8:25 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Wired system to Wireless

Well, it's been awhile since I have had an LT. Bought an '09 LT and it has the BMW comm system on it. AM & FM broadcast radio, disc player, CB radio, Garmin III GPS, radar detector etc. Everything plays through a wired headset using the six pin connector installed on the bike. Problem is, as is with most of these set ups, the phone will not connect using the plug in on the v.o.i.c.e. II thang a magig under the sting ray lid. So, I started thinking about converting this "wired" system into a "wireless" system. Here is what I came up with and it works perfectly. Got a new six pin connector at an electronics store (used to get this stuff from Radio Shack but they have now bit the dust) and an audio cable with stereo connector on it. I then cut off the female connector part and wired it into the six pin connector using pin four for ground and pin six for the audio output. I connected both the red and white wires of the cable to pin 6 so that the audio will come through both left and right helmet speakers. Plenty of audio but of course will not play in stereo. Into that set up, I plugged in a wireless (Bluetooth) audio transmitter which I purchased from Amazon.com for $16.00. They can be purchased anywhere like Walmart, Target, etc. Paired up with the J&M wireless headset (anyone of the wireless headsets will work) and now all audio, radio, gps, phone, cb radio, etc. comes through to the wireless headset. Only thing does not work is CB transmit. I don't use that anyway. The trade off is getting away from the wires to having to charge the headset and wireless transmitter at night after a long ride. Hope this helps those who need it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 8:48 am

Re: Wired system to Wireless

Sounds like a great idea.

Do you have a sketch?

Thanks.

Stu

2005 K1200LT
2005 Harley Davidson Duece
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 11:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sena already makes a cable to do that.

They also make a stereo transmitter to connect it to.

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 3:20 pm

I do run with Sena 20S. Bike radio is connected to it through aftermarket BlueTooth A2DP transceiver taking it's signal from rear speaker cables through transducer adjusting the signal level down. Sena builds also one but it IS pricy one.

Navigator & phone (with media) pairs also with Sena.

Born to be wild so why not

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 4:39 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Here is a internet site that provides some useful basics on bluetooth:

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/bluetooth-basics

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 1:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-A-D View Post
I do run with Sena 20S. Bike radio is connected to it through aftermarket BlueTooth A2DP transceiver taking it's signal from rear speaker cables through transducer adjusting the signal level down. Sena builds also one but it IS pricy one.

Navigator & phone (with media) pairs also with Sena.
Could you list the hardware you installed for this?

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

post #7 of 7 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 1:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munmi View Post
Could you list the hardware you installed for this?
Two pieces of standard equipment

Not sure of the correct US English words but

1st - signal level transducer (used to lower the speaker signal to "Line IN"-level. Typically used to drive subwoofer or other amplifier from speaker signal). This is connected to rear speaker cables and feeds:

2nd - again standard Bluetooth A2DP transceiver. So it sends the "Line IN"-signal coming from transducer.

Both pieces of farkles are pretty std. stuff and I would assume can be bought from RadioShack or other stores selling car stereo- or other electronic farkles. I paid about 40euros (including the 12V > 6V) power needed by that A2DP transceiver.

Born to be wild so why not

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in