2Likes
  • 1 Post By Moogie
  • 1 Post By bmwcoolk1200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 2:51 am Thread Starter

Oil change/Oil filter questions.

Hi,

1999 BMW K1200LT.

So this is not the first time I change the oil & filter on the beast but today when I changed the oil I had some problems.

The filter removal socket/round wrench while it is the same size as the filter spins around the filter (especially when it is wet with oil).

So I hammered couple of the corners in to make it tighter & was able to remove the old filter.

Now when I installed the new filter, the wrench stated spinning around again. I was able to tighten the filter but I really can't tell how tight it is since the wrench would spin.

Tried to hand tighten it as much as possible.

In the evening I noticed couple of drops of oil under the bike (it never leaked before).

And the oil well (where the filter is located/the cover from outside) is a bit moist.

Does this mean the filter inside is loose and leaking Oil ?

Or does it tight itself up with driving (just as happens with a car oil filter which seem to get tighter the more time passes between oil changes).

What happens if the filter comes off the threads...works itself off the threads?

I know the whole area there under the cover gets filled with Oil (there is a name for it which I don't remember). But I assume the filter still needs to be tight in place?

Any ideas?

I hate to think I have to open her up again to check the filter & what do I tighten it with since my socket just spins around the filter.

Buying one from the dealer is not an option.

Where do I get a socket that works?

I appreciate the help guys.

AJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 6:38 am

Re: Oil change/Oil filter questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Hi,

1999 BMW K1200LT.

So this is not the first time I change the oil & filter on the beast but today when I changed the oil I had some problems.

The filter removal socket/round wrench while it is the same size as the filter spins around the filter (especially when it is wet with oil).

So I hammered couple of the corners in to make it tighter & was able to remove the old filter.

Now when I installed the new filter, the wrench stated spinning around again. I was able to tighten the filter but I really can't tell how tight it is since the wrench would spin.

In the evening I noticed couple of drops of oil under the bike (it never leaked before).

And the oil well (where the filter is located/the cover from outside) is a bit moist.

Or does it tight itself up with driving (just as happens with a car oil filter which seem to get tighter the more time passes between oil changes).

What happens if the filter comes off the threads...works itself off the threads?

I know the whole area there under the cover gets filled with Oil (there is a name for it which I don't remember). But I assume the filter still needs to be tight in place?

Any ideas?

I hate to think I have to open her up again to check the filter & what do I tighten it with since my socket just spins around the filter.

AJ
The oil filter wrench should not be spinning on the new oil filter you must have the wrong size filter wrench and make sure the rubber gasket came off with the old filter but the oil on cover has nothing to do with a lose oil filter you might have to replace that big O-ring on that cover DO Not over tighten them screws just a good snug on them

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 6:40 am

The filter itself will not cause an external oil leak. (not sure if it came loose will riding what would happen, maybe one of the motor heads has a thought on that). The o-ring in the filter cover plate if not seated correctly, or not new or cleaned off properly can leak. Filter does not have to be real tight, a half turn after contact with surface is good. I run one small self taping screw through filter wrench into filter if it is tight and wrench spins, works great. good luck.

Scott
2007 LT

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 7:46 am

I agree that the o ring sounds like it might need to be replaced.

As for the slipping, you could try to put a piece of sandpaper in the filter to help 'grip' the filter better. I needed to do that the first time I changed oil on my bike-after that, I don't put them on so tight. Sorry you'll have to open it up again to find the leak

Dave

2000 LT 213K miles
2010 RT 35K miles
2007 RT P 42,000 miles SOLD
1982 vision 550 Yamaha SOLD
1964 Vespa 175 w/sidecar (homemade by neighbor) SOLD
1966 Honda CL77 (2016-17 winter project) As of August 16, the Honda is running! First time in 42 years. Going to be a sweet little around town bike. SOLD,
Four corner SCMA ride 2013
All Yooper SS1000K, 6/17/17, 6/19
48 state/12 day ride 2016
Great Lakes Challenge, 2011
2018 Fall Classic SS1000 Four-Corners
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 7:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
The oil filter wrench should not be spinning on the new oil filter you must have the wrong size filter wrench and make sure the rubber gasket came off with the old filter but the oil on cover has nothing to do with a lose oil filter you might have to replace that big O-ring on that cover DO Not over tighten them screws just a good snug on them
What Gary said. Additionally, if you use the drain plug (most of us did not) you should replace the crush washer. Wipe it clean and determine exactly where the oil is originating from.
Before I had the correct wrench I place folded piece of an old rag between the filter & wrench and tapped it into place. I do that now with my GTL as the LT's wrench is too large.

2013 BMW Damask Red K1600GTL
2014 BMW K1600GTL-E EXCLUSIVE
2001 Honda C-250 Helix
SOLD 2006 BMW K-1200LT "The Manatee"

Smokin'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 1:33 pm

Since the cover gets covered in oil when changing out the oil, I would hold the cover over my garage trash can and spray it with brake cleaner. It comes out dry and clean.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 9:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_forever View Post
Hi,

1999 BMW K1200LT.

Any ideas?

AJ
I took a new BMW filter to my local AutoZone and they matched a wrench pretty quickly. Unfortunately, the last batch of filters I bought were Bosch from BBY and they don't have flats like the BMW OEM filter, but more of a scallop shape. The filter doesn't fit as well as with the BMW filter, but it did remove the old filter and install the new one OK. The main problem is that it binds inside the wrench making removal of the wrench from the filter somewhat of a pain.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #8 of 14 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Beemer Boneyard used to sell a kit with filter wrench and a six pack of filters, crush washer and o-ring for a reasonable price. Finger tight the filter.
cws likes this.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 9:24 am

KN-163

K&N filter has a 3/4" nut on the end, makes it easy to take off/on.

Works for me.

later...Randy

2006 LT
Magnesium Shwarz Metalic
Bountiful, Utah

Last edited by 2006lt; Jun 18th, 2015 at 9:30 am.
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006lt View Post

KN-163

K&N filter has a 3/4" nut on the end, makes it easy to take off/on.

Works for me.

later...Randy
I had the K&N with the nut on the end first time I did oil on my bike and the ID10T that put it on before me must have used a breaker bar to tighten it. The nut would prevent a normal wrench form fitting over. That nut was completely round and destroyed from me trying to clamp it with vice grips and any other thing to get it loose. Ended up totally destroying the old filter with lots of screws from the underside to get enough torque on it to break it loose. The nut itself is nothing but stamped metal and not good for applying any force as the head of a nut or bolt so beware. It doesn't have to be all that tight as it is in the crank case and not hanging off the side of the engine.

As mentioned before, make sure the old filter gasket comes off with it and is not stuck up inside the engine on the mating surface.
JNW003 likes this.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #11 of 14 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 11:50 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwcoolk1200 View Post
The nut itself is nothing but stamped metal and not good for applying any force as the head of a nut or bolt so beware.
Sorry you had trouble, the nut affixed to the K&N filter will withstand a lot more than the 11Nm (8.5 ft lbs) that is required to secure the filter to the engine.

just Sayin'

later..Randy

2006 LT
Magnesium Shwarz Metalic
Bountiful, Utah
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 1:44 am

Had the same problem with K&N that an ex BMW mechanic put on way to tight. If anyone has the same problem Erwin sells an easy out socket set that has the correct size to remove it. $30.00

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #13 of 14 Old Jun 19th, 2015, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006lt View Post
Sorry you had trouble, the nut affixed to the K&N filter will withstand a lot more than the 11Nm (8.5 ft lbs) that is required to secure the filter to the engine.

just Sayin'

later..Randy
It is probably fine if not over tightened but if it is,that nut will likely not be your savior in getting it off being just sheet metal. It looks good though Someone really went to town on mine. Better to use it as a leverage point with a screw or pin at the outer edge to get some torque if it has been put on too tight or the easy out as mentioned in the previous post.

Thanks Randy

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 21st, 2015, 7:17 pm

I had problems with variations in oil filter sizes and my filter socket, I solved my problem by using a punch on the flats on my wrench, one dimple for each flat, about 1/2 way down the wrench surface. This allows me to give the socket a little tap and it seats down on the filter, but because there are only a few dimples, it doesn't get so tight I can't wiggle it off.

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in