Radiator screens? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 10:52 am Thread Starter

Radiator screens?

Howdy:

I saw two references to LT radiator screens on this site. Homemade or is there an after market option. Wow only four weeks of riding and my two radiators look like a scene from National Geographic.

Anyone know of such a product?

Safe riding!

Steve Heinzer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:46 am

This site has some:
http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=11
Curious as to how they would fit.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 1:31 pm

Radiator Screens

I make the ones Raffy sells. If any of you have any questions feel free to call me at 410-608-4972 or PM me. I'll be glad to help as I am sure Raffy will be too.

Gene Sweeney
Bug-Guards for Beemers

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 3:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheinzer
Anyone know of such a product?
Welcome, Steve -- If you go to the BMWLT.net forum (the link to the old site), and run a search on "radiator" and "screen" you should find a wealth of info and customer comments on Gene's product. I have a set, and I'm very happy with them. Gene's attention to detail makes this a well-executed design.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 3:39 pm

Cool Pattern for screens

I certainly don't want to cut those out who make and sell these screens.

But I have purchased some material from the local Lowe's and am planning to make my own. Is there a pattern on this site for these or do I need to make one when I do mine and post it...

Thanks

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 3:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by edonthenet
Curious as to how they would fit.
Precisely right

The set I received had velcro strips exactly the right length to fit the metal flanges at the top and bottom of the radiators, and the bottom of the screens sit perfectly a fraction of an inch above the top lip of the center section of the lower fairing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Upper bug guard strip 100.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	411   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lower bug guard strip 100.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	412   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bug guard flash 100.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	413  

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 5:43 pm

No pattern available

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspen
I certainly don't want to cut those out who make and sell these screens.

But I have purchased some material from the local Lowe's and am planning to make my own. Is there a pattern on this site for these or do I need to make one when I do mine and post it...

Thanks

Spence
Spence, There is no pattern on this site or the old site. You wouldn't be the first to make his with materials from Lowe's/Home Depot. As for me, I've got a set of Gene's and I think that they are the Cat's Meow.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 5:49 pm

Patterns

Yeah,
From Mark's pictures I really don't need a pattern.
I'll just measure the radiator and cut em....

Thanks Mark

Spence

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #9 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 5:57 pm

Thumbs up Here's your homemade screens

Much higher flow that perferated panels, Cheeper too.

See: http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...ts&Main=285984

And : http://www.bmwlt.net/ubbthreads/show...=&view=&sb=&o=

BTW, Off the old site from summer of "05".
Regards.
Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #10 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 6:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead

Regards.
Scott
You're right about a higher flow rate, but as for cooling I don't think there is much difference. I've had my LT two southern summers now and I didn't have any higher temperature readings this summer from last using the perforated panels. Beside, for rocks being thrown into the radiator area, I'll trust the perforated panels before screen.

JM2CW

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 6:40 pm Thread Starter

Wow!

Many thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and options. Now just to decide.

First I think I'll go out and clean off the bugs to see how much of a hasstle it is to do. I do like the rock protection of the perforated offers.

Steve
post #12 of 15 Old Oct 19th, 2005, 11:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheinzer
Many thanks to everyone who offered suggestions and options. Now just to decide.

First I think I'll go out and clean off the bugs to see how much of a hasstle it is to do. I do like the rock protection of the perforated offers.

Steve
The other issue is to find a suitable locking strip (Gene uses some form of duo-lok, not velcro) and an adhesive that will take the coolant heat over the long term.

FWIW, like you, there's no question I can make a set of guards and stick them on in a heartbeat. That said, I figured I'd be much farther ahead if I purchased Gene's guards, simply for the reason that he had already done all the homework on materials and had conducted field tests in hot conditions to prove his design.

In effect, I wasn't purchasing $3 worth of physical materials, I was purchasing $X of R&D/time/effort, i.e., I could put my time to other uses by *not* having to invest the effort to make up my own set (and likely do it a couple times, while figuring out what the "permanent" configuration should be). From that point of view, the Bug Guards look like much more of a bargin than at first blush.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #13 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 6:45 am

John, I did the same thing and it works great! just get the mesh material that is stiffer than regular screen wire, mine was fashioned from a covering for a gutter. The size of the screen was perfect. Cost about $1.50. Just measure the radiator and allow about a 1/4 inch more for the dimensions then slightly bend the screen as you install it so that it slips into the top and bottom edge of the radiator caps. If the screen doesn't lay flat then trim a little until it does. If you are careful with your trimming, you won't need any retainers. The screens will stay put behind the cap edges. Mine have been on my bike for over a year and you can pop them out to clean them. Works great! I painted mine black. Call me if you run into a snag. good Luck! Ron Ray 803-920-8164
post #14 of 15 Old Oct 20th, 2005, 4:42 pm

I certainly DO NOT want to take away from anybody's creativity in making their own screens, this is how I started Bug-Guards for Beemers, however may I make a suggestion to those that are doing their own. The reason I mounted them on the lips and not next to the radiators fins is two fold; 1) there is about a half inch gap between the screens and the fins if you mount them on the lips. This will allow a large rock to bend the screens and not hit the fins. I have had a photo sent to me showing an indented screen but the fins were not touched. 2) From my tests the 1/2 gap allows more cooling (tested with infa red temp guage).

Just my suggestions, take them and do with them as you will. I just thought I would help.

Gene Sweeney
post #15 of 15 Old May 11th, 2008, 9:30 pm

Smile Re: Here's your homemade screens

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead

Regards.
Scott
Thanks for your pictures & dimension write up. Made a pair for my 06 & did my first ride yesterday in Northern Alberta, & we had BUGs....but not in my radiators Did some 100mhp for 15miles for this first time & what a rock the LT is to ride.
Phil

BIGHOPPER (Phil)
BGB 602
2016 R1200RT LC Purchase March
2003 R1150GSA Black Beast (purchased Nov 2011- 32,372klms)
2006 K1200LT Grey
(Purchased 2008, 7,350 mls) Trade in on 2016 RT at 80,600miles
1975 Norton John Player Replica (Sold When I got Married)
1973 Norton Interstate
1965 Atlas 750
1971 Triumph Trail Blazer(Rode from London to Sydney Aust, no maps for that)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in