Rear Final Drive Oil Analysis - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Aug 20th, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Rear Final Drive Oil Analysis

Ok so in par with everything here I do pull a sample at sceduled maintence .On the motor ,Trans, Rear final drive I just got the report back on the rear drive Contamination Abnormal,Oil Condition Normal,Wear Marginal. THis is with 5800 miles on the bike the Silicon went up from 1.1 to 78 what gives they did a retest same thing I use new stuff to sample so i know thats not it oh yeah iron up to 555 I drained it last night and put new lube in. I will see what gives at 12000 I can't wait to see the motor and trans .By the way the dealer did the 600 service. I think they might have used a dirty funnel to top it off.really pisses me off.jim

Jim Giordano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:01 am

Jim,

I'd like to see the full reports if you could post them. I can help with the interpretation of the results, and you would also likely get helpful input from others here.

It seems maybe we should all be doing more oil analyses on these bikes as a way to make sure everything is wearing correctly before the warranty expires, so we can get the necessary repairs before catastrophic failure. I am definitely going to have the engine, transmission and final drive oils analyzed before my warranty runs out.

500 ppm Iron is considered excessive for a final drive. This could indicate excessive wear of bearings, gears, shafts, or from housing/castings. However, we all see metal filings on the magnetic drain plug, so it may be normal iron for a K1200LT. I've never seen another analysis for a K1200LT final drive oil, but it sounds like you might have one. What was the ppm last time?

50 ppm Silicon is also considered excessive for a final drive. This could be from dirt, oil additives, gasket materials, silicon sealant, or housing/castings.

It sounds like the oil is holding up, but there may be some mechanical problems.

Last edited by TimVipond; Aug 21st, 2006 at 7:48 am.
post #3 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by giordiver
Ok so in par with everything here I do pull a sample at sceduled maintence .On the motor ,Trans, Rear final drive I just got the report back on the rear drive Contamination Abnormal,Oil Condition Normal,Wear Marginal. THis is with 5800 miles on the bike the Silicon went up from 1.1 to 78 what gives they did a retest same thing I use new stuff to sample so i know thats not it oh yeah iron up to 555 I drained it last night and put new lube in. I will see what gives at 12000 I can't wait to see the motor and trans .By the way the dealer did the 600 service. I think they might have used a dirty funnel to top it off.really pisses me off.jim
Jim,
What oil was used?

post #4 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:13 am
Miles of Smiles

Garage
What Volume of Oil Required for Analysis

I have kept about 500mls from each of the oil drains so far. Plan to use these to keep a record of changes over time. What sample amount is required to test ?

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 7:25 am

Jenna,

Oil Analyzers includes an 8 oz plastic bottle in their $20 postage prepaid sample kit. 500 ml is 16 ounces, so you have enough for 2!
post #6 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:24 pm

Analysis Results for '06 LT

I've attached my oil analysis results. I'm changing more frequently than is required to reduce levels of iron contaminants. I've just changed to Amsoil "Severe Gear" 75W140 Synthetic since the Maintenance Manual CD states that synthetic 75W140 is OK to use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear drive analysis.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	6015  

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #7 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:25 pm Thread Starter

i dont know how to post page if some one ca help i be happy to post

Jim Giordano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:29 pm

I did a "Print Screen" of the page, cropped off the extra stuff using the "Picture Toolbar"and then saved it as a .jpg file on my Desktop. Then just uploaded as an attachment.

If you have Adobe PDF, you can save it as a .pdf file and upload.

2015 K1600GTL
post #9 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:30 pm Thread Starter

i mean the file i have it saved to comp cant figure how to post it here

Jim Giordano
post #10 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 9:53 pm

On the Reply to Thread screen, just scroll down to "Additional Options" and you will see a box called "manage Attachments". Click on this, select brouse to find your file, select it and then click "Upload".

2015 K1600GTL
post #11 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:00 pm Thread Starter

ok i tried this by the way the oil is stock bmw oil that came with the machine as far as i know nothing added except to replace what i removed for sample.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	6016  

Jim Giordano
post #12 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:08 pm

Quote:
ok i tried this by the way the oil is stock bmw oil that came with the machine as far as i know nothing added except to replace what i removed for sample.
I would dump that oil asap- regardless of what Wear Check says. (They had the same recommendation for my first oil change) You absolutely do not want "visible silt" and high levels of iron floating around all the bearings in the rear drive. Ball bearings like CLEAN oil.

Check your analysis against mine and you can see that you have several concerning results(iron, silicon,chromium, copper,aluminum)

2015 K1600GTL

Last edited by RealWing; Aug 21st, 2006 at 10:15 pm.
post #13 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:14 pm Thread Starter

yeah dumped it fri night i think they lost my motor and tran sample i have not got them back yet. I wonder how many drives and trans and motors could have been saved if they checked the oil it is so cheap a thing to do.

Jim Giordano
post #14 of 15 Old Aug 21st, 2006, 10:17 pm

Quote:
yeah dumped it fri night i think they lost my motor and tran sample i have not got them back yet. I wonder how many drives and trans and motors could have been saved if they checked the oil it is so cheap a thing to do.
I agree 100%. My most recent engine oil sample turned up very high levels of sodium - indicating a small coolant leak into my oil system!!! The dealer could not find the leak(yet), but I can now watch very carefully.

2015 K1600GTL
post #15 of 15 Old Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:15 pm

Thanks for posting your oil analyses. These are excellent examples of why we should definitely sample before our warranties run out. Also helps to determinine whether our problems are purely mechanical or caused by using poor oils. Might help us pick better oils. Can also be used to determine whether or not you should get an extended warranty, take that long trip to Alaska, or trade the bike back to the dealer. Or to buy a used bike. I hope others will sample their oils and post data here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in