3Likes
  • 1 Post By Zeke
  • 1 Post By james216
  • 1 Post By rhawk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 4:36 pm Thread Starter

Talking shifter link

Hey all;

Just a very friendly reminder. Check those little shifter link joints. I was doing a look around checking various stuff. And decided to check those. Well 2 were loose. Its on this website, and if they break you are walking home.
Again just a nice reminder so you are not sitting on the side of the road thinking about checking those little widgets. Takes 20 minutes and a 8 mm wrench.

Zeke
saddleman likes this.

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 7:54 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: shifter link

I serviced mine (cleaned and lubed) before a cross country trip last year, but the shifter ball attached to the arm coming from the transmission vibrated apart in Indianapolis. Cost me an additional night in a hotel on a Sunday and several hours fixing it in the parking lot, after I bought a pair of long nose pliers. I had spare shifter parts with me and loctite, just in case, but it was still awkward trying to work on the bike on the side stand, since I couldn't get it into neutral to use the electric center stand, as a big storm approached. Moral of the story - also check to make sure the stuff you didn't take apart is snug too...

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 9:10 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I check mine at least twice a year. You can always reach under the bike & put it in third gear to ride somewhere.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 10 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 10:58 pm

Mine was loose on my first ride out this year but I didn't know about this issue yet. It got so bad, I was almost unable to shift at all. It was a slight issue as I pulled out but became much worse when I was 25 miles from home and I thought i had a trans issue with it not shifting. I returned home with several 4 letter words as I struggled to find gears and I was really glad to find that the pivot bolt had just become so loose and would not move the linkage far enough to shift gears. I give my shifter a good wiggle now to test the slack before I head out so I know if I need to tighten it up again. No locktite yet but if it comes loose again, I may consider it. I think it has a self locking nut but that obviously may not be enough.

A good reminder as the season progresses.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #5 of 10 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 11:12 pm

I clean and lube mine at least once a year. Don't have any problems.
Patric likes this.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #6 of 10 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 11:18 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleman View Post
I check mine at least twice a year. You can always reach under the bike & put it in third gear to ride somewhere.
Mine was stuck in first getting off the highway in Indianapolis and I left it in gear until I found a place to stay for the night. The only way I could have changed gears was to take the footpeg plate off - I don't have strong, looonnng, skinny fingers, impervious to hot exhaust systems... I've done the shift into third gear trick years ago on my old Suzuki outside of Colorado Springs when the shifter fell off completely on a windy road - that wouldn't work this time - different bike, different circumstances.

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

post #7 of 10 Old Jun 16th, 2015, 11:22 am

Me a month ago:

I'm all packed up and ready to leave Williams, AZ, after visiting the Grand Canyon, and this happened:

I keep the old one as a spare with me on the bike, so I just had to replace the bottom link. Thank god the new and old are interchangeable.

BTW:

I forgot to locktight the bottom ball, so by Tulsa, OK it came loose:

Honestly, the biggest problem is adjusting it so it sits, just right for the up/down shifts.

Already ordered a replacement shifter linkage.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

post #8 of 10 Old Jun 16th, 2015, 2:30 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Hey all;

Just a very friendly reminder. Check those little shifter link joints. I was doing a look around checking various stuff. And decided to check those. Well 2 were loose. Its on this website, and if they break you are walking home.
Again just a nice reminder so you are not sitting on the side of the road thinking about checking those little widgets. Takes 20 minutes and a 8 mm wrench.

Zeke
I have been lucky. I first checked my 07 a couple of years ago during the 28K service (yes, I was a few K late due to a trip). It was in good shape. Nothing loose and even the original grease wasn't completely dry. I regreased and it has been fine up to the current 49K point.

Then again, I never owned a Harley so I am pretty gentle with my shifts. I cringe when I see how some people shift. You'd think they were shifting a Mack truck.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #9 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 10:15 pm

I broke mine few years ago and had to improvise a quick fix, quick fix that is still working today. The only thing I have done since the fix is to check and lube it on a periodic basis. Here was the post
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...yesterday.html

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais
post #10 of 10 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 10:31 pm

[QUOTE=vespacar;1333218]

Are You Sure that You used enough Blue Spoodge?
hd_ryder1964 likes this.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in