• 2 Post By jzeiler
  • 1 Post By GaryEm
  • 2 Post By SteveMcg
  • 1 Post By wrenchff1098
  • 2 Post By GaryEm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jun 14th, 2015, 9:51 pm Thread Starter

Angry And down she goes

Ok so my wife and I out last night perfect night for a ride, stopped for ice cream still perfect, go to leave parking lot on a slight grade and kinda narrow, well as we were turning to exit I guess I was going to slow and turning to tight and down she went, we were going slow so really no damage some marks on the touch points the problem came when I tried to lift her back up, the wheels were facing up the grade no way could I get her upright, my wife jumps in to help still we couldn't get her up, a nice guys stops to help and it took all we had to get her back on her wheels said our thanks for the help and left with a major dent in my pride,

anyone have any pointers for how the heck to get outa something like that if it ever happens again? not sure what would have happened if I was alone
cbpip and gggGary like this.

1976 R90/6 (retired)
1993 K1100LT (retired)
1999 K1200LT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jun 14th, 2015, 10:02 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: And down she goes

The only thing I can say is be very careful where you stop and always have the front wheel pointing straight ahead. This bike is very unforgiving of complacency in this area. Plan each and every take off with a sudden stop in mind and you won't be surprised. By the way I had mine five years before I dropped her and both times I have dropped her it was with the wife aboard!
pkpr1998 and norton like this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Jun 14th, 2015, 10:32 pm

If everybody left the wife home it probably would not be a problem of the bike napping but that's when I have the harder time with that extra top weight don't tell my wife that but when by myself I don't have to give a lot of thought of coming to a stop or other issues
cman1956 likes this.

Gary
2003 K1200LT

post #4 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 11:33 am

Here is a Video on how to lift the LT... for future reference

BMW K1200LT Owner Tips and Tricks
Zeke and HillmoorPete like this.
post #5 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 12:02 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Since you wound up with the wheels on the high side, you probably put your leg down on the low side of the slope. Don't do that again. Always use the high side leg for balance on any slanted surface. Some smaller bikes you can muscle it and compensate if you make that mistake, but not with the LT. Personally, I learned that one the hard way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 12:15 pm

These are heavy beasts and I think it is a good idea view the video above or other videos for when it happens. I just changed from riding Gold Wings GL1100 and GL1500 and I had it happen 2 or 3 times it seems with each of them. Normally no damage to the bike but the first time it happened I was shocked, embarrassed, and thought, "Wow, maybe this is to much bike for me". I immediately found a site on line where a small woman was demonstrating picking up either a HD or a GL. I have used that info a lot. A friend who has only ridden smaller bikes recently bought a GL1800 Gold Wing and one of the first things I recommended he go on line and see how to pick it up. I have had less trouble with the LT than my old Gold Wing but I know it can happen.
post #7 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 12:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Some smaller bikes you can muscle it and compensate if you make that mistake, but not with the LT. Personally, I learned that one the hard way.
The guy I bought my LT from told me a story of his boss wanting to ride it so he let him. He said he made it all of 4 feet before he dropped it taking the mirror with it. I didn't think much of it at the time other than possibly inexperience but after having now dropped it as mine several times, I understand.

There is no right way to lay an LT down except to make sure you aren't under it at the time. Learned it the hard way also. Last drop was 2 up on a slant to the left. I knew it was coming and said get your feet out, its going down. We just got out of the way and rolled off. An audience can be both good and bad. Even though they will probably laugh, there is also usually someone who will help you lift her back up if it is in a position you can't do by yourself.

Help will always be given to those who require it.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI – Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT – Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

post #8 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 4:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchff1098 View Post
Ok so my wife and I out last night perfect night for a ride, stopped for ice cream still perfect, go to leave parking lot on a slight grade and kinda narrow, well as we were turning to exit I guess I was going to slow and turning to tight and down she went, we were going slow so really no damage some marks on the touch points the problem came when I tried to lift her back up, the wheels were facing up the grade no way could I get her upright, my wife jumps in to help still we couldn't get her up, a nice guys stops to help and it took all we had to get her back on her wheels said our thanks for the help and left with a major dent in my pride,

anyone have any pointers for how the heck to get outa something like that if it ever happens again? not sure what would have happened if I was alone
You keyed on it when you said "too Slow".
You really can drive these big busses too slowly, but they can't be turned too tight, at least in my opinion.
Your throttle would have gotten you out of the situation and straightened you out, but it's counter intuitive and has to be practiced.

I've also had the honor of dropping with wheels on the high side of things.
The bike comes up with more effort, but using the same principles to lift; butt under the seat, lift the side case handle and handle bar while walking backward.

After it's up, secure and on the stand, congratulate yourself for doing a 724 pound dead lift That's about what it takes to rock the wheels back under the beast.
post #9 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 4:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoodcounty View Post
I've also had the honor of dropping with wheels on the high side of things.
The bike comes up with more effort, but using the same principles to lift; butt under the seat, lift the side case handle and handle bar while walking backward.
Side note as I tried this once without doing it.
Don't forget to get it into gear or it can roll away from you while you are lifting it. I managed to catch it but I was lucky.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #10 of 20 Old Jun 15th, 2015, 10:49 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the input and comments guys, the video was great learned a lot on that one, I showed my wife the comments so she stops thinking its only us. time to Ride !!
pkpr1998 likes this.

1976 R90/6 (retired)
1993 K1100LT (retired)
1999 K1200LT
post #11 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2015, 12:25 am

Also don't use the front brake at slow speeds.

Parking lots, etc.

Any sloped you are coming to a stop on. Back brake only the last few feet even on an RT!

Ask me how I know?

The Older I Get, the Faster I Was!

2009 "Fully Farkled"Black Metallic Sapphire RT
post #12 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2015, 5:14 pm

I have found that rear hand lifting on the top case as high up as possible, rather than a side case handle to be easier. Maybe it's because I'm' 6' 3"?
post #13 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2015, 10:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by niel_petersen View Post
I have found that rear hand lifting on the top case as high up as possible, rather than a side case handle to be easier. Maybe it's because I'm' 6' 3"?
Wait until you end up with the top case in your hand because your hinges broke which they are probably already are cracked if you picked up on the top case I just got done fixing mine and I DID not even do that

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #14 of 20 Old Jun 16th, 2015, 11:11 pm

So far no problem though I make sure they are latched shut. I have not had to lift it myself more than a couple of times. Yr advice is noted however,
THX
post #15 of 20 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
If everybody left the wife home it probably would not be a problem of the bike napping but that's when I have the harder time with that extra top weight don't tell my wife that but when by myself I don't have to give a lot of thought of coming to a stop or other issues
If I was never taking my wife on the bike with me I do not think I would be riding the LT.

Manny
Where is the nearest Tims?

Need to stay awake

post #16 of 20 Old Jun 17th, 2015, 9:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
If I was never taking my wife on the bike with me I do not think I would be riding the LT.
Are you saying the bike would be to big to have if you are just riding by your self I have to admit I only ride about 10% of the time with my wife and the rest of time by self I enjoy the comfort of the big old LT by myself and if my wife did not ride at all I would still have THE LT
rhawk and JNW003 like this.

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #17 of 20 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 11:02 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
Are you saying the bike would be to big to have if you are just riding by your self I have to admit I only ride about 10% of the time with my wife and the rest of time by self I enjoy the comfort of the big old LT by myself and if my wife did not ride at all I would still have THE LT
I have to agree, I just did the Suches loop ( Georgia's dragon) for the first time last week and I have to say, she performed very admirably on all the switchbacks. My lady opted out so I was 1 up. Unless I was doing times trials, I am not sure I would need anything more sporty. Heavy, yes but she does hold the corners.

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA

post #18 of 20 Old Jun 18th, 2015, 9:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Maybe put the wife on a weight lifting program?

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2017 KTM 350 EXC-F (single track monster)
2018 Honda CRF250L Rally (fun on the fire roads)
2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)
post #19 of 20 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 8:10 pm

Garage

Don't feel bad, I pulled mine out of the garage today to go for a ride with my Daughter and stopped in front of the house, down she went. First time ever. I was tired, or not awake yet and had a dozen things on my mind and it just dropped. Was able to get the bike back upright in seconds with the same lift as the video. Oh well.
As for 1 up vs. 2 up, I rarely ride 2 up. I got this bike for me, just so happens they put a second seat on it for a female passenger. In 13,000+ miles I had been 2 up less than 6 times, 2 times my wife and the others my daughters(2).

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #20 of 20 Old Jun 20th, 2015, 10:19 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Mine took a nap today against my '56 T-Bird. Had it in the Condor wheel chock, with the front wheel centered, and leaned on it while topping off the oil. I got up to do something else in the garage, heard a noise, and saw it leaning against the car, still in the chock. Guess I need to be more careful in the future... No damage to the LT, but it's mirror popped off and put a real small dent in the top of the door. S...t happens!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in