Newbie - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jun 12th, 2015, 7:38 am Thread Starter

Hi guys, I have the chance to buy a 1999 K1200 LT with 45k on it (is that a lot of miles for one of these bikes?) and was wondering what faults I should be looking out for.
I'm new to the K1200 LT so any help would be very much appreciated...... Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jun 12th, 2015, 8:35 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rab-33 View Post
Hi guys, I have the chance to buy a 1999 K1200 LT with 45k on it (is that a lot of miles for one of these bikes?) and was wondering what faults I should be looking out for.
I'm new to the K1200 LT so any help would be very much appreciated...... Thanks
Like most vehicles, it all depends on the maintenance. A well-maintained LT with 45K miles is barely broke in. One that wasn't maintained, annual ABS flushes in particular, might be a very expensive "bargain" priced bike.

There may be a list of areas to check if you search the site, but I am not aware of one right off-hand.

A few that come to mind and which are expensive are:

1. ABS that hasn't had annual wheel circuit flushes or is showing fault lights. My 07 has a different system than the 99 and I am not familiar with the latter, but mine will flash the brake failure light until I ride a few feet to trigger the self-test. However, if you hit 10 MPH and still have fault lights flashing, you probably have trouble.
2. Slipping clutch. Go out and whack the throttle wide open in 5th gear. If the relationship between RPM and speed isn't linear, then you have an expensive clutch (worn disk, weak spring, oil or slave cylinder leak) problem.
3. Check the trunk latch for cracks at the corners where the actuating arms are.
4. Check the final drive and swing arm boots for leaks and check for play in the rear wheel.

These are some particular areas for the LT, but obviously you need to do the normal checks for any vehicle. Tires, brakes, controls (including cruise control operation), lights, general condition, tightness of fasteners, leaks anywhere under the engine or transmission, maintenance records, any crash or damage history, etc.

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old Jun 12th, 2015, 9:01 am

Re: Newbie

99 has ABS only and if it fails loss of ABS but NO effect on braking, warning lights will probably stay on when self test fails, you can drive without ABS, not all bikes have that feature.
I would add look at bottom of motor where transmission motor meet and see if seam has any evidence of leaking oil.
Check rear wheel for play vertically and horizontally, rotate wheel through a couple of revolutions listening for scraping - before I bought mine I looked at a newer one, drove OK low speed but was looking for date stamp on tire and while revolving wheel heard noise and saw movement at rear drive pivot, bad u joint, rare.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single

post #4 of 4 Old Jun 12th, 2015, 9:33 am Thread Starter

Looks like I'm going to be busy at the dealers tomorrow... Lol

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in