New to me 2006 K1200LT - laments - longish - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

New to me 2006 K1200LT - laments - longish

I am the happy owner of a new to me 2006 K1200LT. I bought the bike from a local dealer. The price was very reasonable and the bike looks great. This is my fourth bike and my third BMW. My previous ride is a 2006 R1200RT (about to go up for sale) that I bought 4 years ago from my coworker at a premium. The RT has been a great ride, but as my wife and I have been riding two up more and more, we determined that the RT doesn't have the room for the two of us to be more comfortable for more hours in the saddle.

The LT had almost 60k miles on the clock and was fully serviced by the dealer with the Level II service and new tires. I bought the bike last Saturday and have ridden it on two rides. I have to tell you that while the bike is big it doesn't ride like a big bike. I think coming from the RT with two up helps dealing with the large size - I am already used to the weight.

My laments:

Problems:
1) When I got the bike home after a longish (150 miles) ride from the dealer I was excited to show my wife how we could put our helmets into the trunk. I went to the trunk to open it and the trunk wouldn't open. The latch pulled up, but the trunk wouldn't budge. Searching through google, I found that it is not completely uncommon and that if I tried to force the issue I might end up with an expensive broken latch. I decided to err on caution and was able to shake the latch to open. I have ordered the fix-it-before-you-break-it hardening package. When I was examining the latching mechanism while the lid was up I noticed that the left latch was stuttering and not completely opening. When I get the kit to harden the latch I will then work on identifying the root cause of the locking mechanism issue.
2) While riding I noticed that the windshield seemed closer to the right hand wind block than the left hand wind block. I had already determined that I would replace the installed windshield with a Cee Bailey #2 -2 shield. I removed the windshield last night and figured out why the shield was leaning to the right (as looking through the screen) - the base support for the right upper arm (left side when standing in front of the bike) pivot pin had come out of its left tab - looking at the right tab it seemed to be missing/broken. It was disheartening, to say the least. I started looking and the only way to fix the bases is to replace the whole unit for $732 for parts. I decided to put the new screen on anyhow. I am hoping that the whole mechanism (left and right) will keep the screen on the bike for now. In the future, I will probably building up a pivot holder in the future by drilling holes on both sides of where the pivot should be seated and use strong tie wraps to mirror the pivot mechanism that is broken.

Concerns:
1) Head wobble - I have had a number of bikes and I have always been able to take my hands off the bars for a moment and not start to loose control (usually to see which way the bike wants to drift). This bike has an oscillation that seems to want to progress to a tank slap. I noticed this on the first test ride - turned out that the tires were 15lbs low. I rode it with tires at the right pressure and it still exhibited the same action. Each person said the same thing to me - why would you take your hands off the bars? Not the question I am hoping to hear from the dealer. Bikes should be stable regardless if I want to be stupid. Their mechanic took the bike out and said that he couldn't identify any issue and the bike ran great. I suspect that the tires aren't correctly balanced. I will be taking the bike to a different dealer to have them rebalanced - but before I do that I am going to experiment with the preload - the preload currently is set at standard.
2) Visibility - the bike is stock. I need to add some visibility items to the bike. The bike is Gray, so using black reflective stickers on the back would look ugly during the day - will probably go with some patterned stickers to look better during the day and highlight at night.

All in all my wife and I are excited about the bike and the future we will have on this new-to-us bike. Only after taking possession of the bike did I learn a lesson of purchasing used bikes - expect that they will fall apart the moment you drive off.

Steve
2006 K1200LT - new to me
2006 R1200RT - soon to be on the market
1994 R1100RS (beta bike) - sold
1989 PC800 - sold - first bike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 6:45 pm

Re: New to me 2006 K1200LT - laments - longish

I would think that the dealer should help you with the trunk latch and the windshield brackets. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope you can get these problems settled and you will love this bike. With new tires you should not have head wobble. I have experienced this with worn tires and once with a bad new tire. Good luck and keep us posted.
post #3 of 8 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 9:10 am

My '99 would do that when I first got it, but it had the same issue with front tire pressure too low. Raising the tire pressure helped, but the tire was already scalloped from running the tire at too low a pressure. Once the tire was replaced and running higher front tire pressure ( at or near max load pressure as indicated on the sidewall), I have not noticed the wobble or shake that was originally present.

Edit: I think there were also slight changes in steering geometry by 2006. Not sure how that would affect things.

Ross
K1200LT (99)

Last edited by rmcclure; Jun 10th, 2015 at 9:12 am. Reason: More info

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 11:38 am

My 2007 when new with 500 miles shook and still does today if I take my hands of bar. The front tire will shake usually when you let go of the bars decelerating between 35 and 45 mph. I have tried different pressures, tires and rear pre-load settings and it will still do it to some degree. After 30,000 miles I realize it is the nature of the beast and does not worry me in the least. I have never felt it shake at any accelerating or decelerating speed when at least one hand is on the bar. I believe it is an inherent issue due to the steering head geometry. Of course it can vary in intensity with improper tire pressure, worn/cupped tires, changes in steering angle due to passenger/baggage loads or worn springs. It should not shimmy when hands are on the bar if it does something is not right.

Yea why would you take both hands off the bar, it doesn't work for driving a car , flying a plane or any other mode of transportation I know.

Scott
2007 LT
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 4:55 pm

techgod,

Make sure the tires are bias ply tires, not radials.
Bridgestone B021 are my choice.
My 2006 is rock steady at any speed, hands or no-hands!
later..Randy

2006 LT
Magnesium Shwarz Metalic
Bountiful, Utah
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 7:24 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Had the head shake and every time it went away with the re-balancing of the front wheel, except for the slightly out of round one I had once. This is based on 7 front and 13 rear tire changes over 91,000 miles. The latch may not be broken if you see no damage to the plate. The pins on the mechanism have little E clips and if they come loose you can lose the ability to open the top case as then wiggle out. Remove the top case liner and inspect the mechanism.

Here are some things you can do with cable ties to ensure you can always open the top case. Also you can see the "fix it before it breaks" kit is installed here. The cable ties will operate the mechanism even if there is a failure in the pins or latch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	233.4 KB
ID:	82082   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	82090   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	230.8 KB
ID:	82098   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	82106   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	235.1 KB
ID:	82114  

Click image for larger version

Name:	x.JPG
Views:	67
Size:	225.4 KB
ID:	82122  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by jzeiler; Jun 10th, 2015 at 7:37 pm.
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 8:05 pm Thread Starter

Thank you - the next time I get the trunk open I am going to do just that. I suspect that you are right, that something fell off. I heard something drop the last time I was able to get it to open.

It is like one of those puzzles where you have to spin the box to get the pins to be as far away from from each other.

I've already ordered the kit to ensure that I don't break the latch.
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 11th, 2015, 2:07 am Thread Starter

I was able to get into the trunk and figured out the reason the latch wouldn't open was that one of the pivot pins had slipped out and was keeping the mechanism from dropping all the way down.

I didn't look at your photos close enough but remembered that you mentioned the zip ties. What I did to 'fix' the problem was that I used thick zip ties to replace the pivot pins on the locking mechanism. It now works very well and I don't have to worry about a dropped pin due to an eclamp getting loose.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in