Clutch disengaged, rod at slave sticking out too far - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By sailor
  • 1 Post By jzeiler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Clutch disengaged, rod at slave sticking out too far

As if I don't have enough issues already with my K1200LT.

Get the motor in and oil leak on cam tensioner bolt, etc.

Anyway, so I go to put it in 1st gear so I can torque the lug nuts on the rear wheel and I got no friction. Wheel just spins.

I recall the clutch release push rod sticking out a bit far but I did manage to bolt down the slave cylinder while pushing it in at the same time.

Now goddamn clutch is disengaged all the time. Had no issues mating up the trans input shaft to the new clutch disc, used the clutch push rod and a socket to align everything.

So this means I gotta pull the stupid rear swing arm AGAIN and look in the clutch release rod hole.

This thing is driving me nuts. What is seemingly a used engine replacement has gone into days and days and wknds and wknds of work. Sick of it.

Good thing I didn't put the exhaust on yet. Sheesh.

Anyone else know how far that stupid push rod is supposed to stick out/into the slave cylinder bore to be correct?

Didn't drill the weep hole yet either I suppose I should do that as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Re: Clutch disengaged, rod at slave sticking out too far

If you haven't watched the Northern IL maintenance videos, you might be able to see what you need on their clutch replacement video.

BMW K1200LT Clutch and Seal Replacement

Gordon
Sugar Hill, GA
2001 K1200LTI Champagne (current ride) Lazy Susan
1998 R1100RT Never should have sold it
1974 Yamaha TX 750 Twin. Omni Phase Balanced

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 3:43 pm Thread Starter

I just put a new clutch disc in it when I swapped motors. Somehow the rod isn't engaging the hole in the centre of the spring plate.

post #4 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 4:22 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by westvandude View Post
As if I don't have enough issues already with my K1200LT.

Get the motor in and oil leak on cam tensioner bolt, etc.

Anyway, so I go to put it in 1st gear so I can torque the lug nuts on the rear wheel and I got no friction. Wheel just spins.

I recall the clutch release push rod sticking out a bit far but I did manage to bolt down the slave cylinder while pushing it in at the same time.

Now goddamn clutch is disengaged all the time. Had no issues mating up the trans input shaft to the new clutch disc, used the clutch push rod and a socket to align everything.

So this means I gotta pull the stupid rear swing arm AGAIN and look in the clutch release rod hole.

This thing is driving me nuts. What is seemingly a used engine replacement has gone into days and days and wknds and wknds of work. Sick of it.

Good thing I didn't put the exhaust on yet. Sheesh.

Anyone else know how far that stupid push rod is supposed to stick out/into the slave cylinder bore to be correct?

Didn't drill the weep hole yet either I suppose I should do that as well.
Assuming all the clutch parts are in place, there can be 2 causes:

1) clutch friction plate is not correct thickness range (too thin). The MIN specs for material thickness is: 4.6 mm (0.181 inch). Although it seems counter-intuitive, the design is such that a thinner friction plate will cause the push-rod to stick out further. This is documented in a long thread with photos here:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...tch-slips.html

2) OR... the friction plate has been installed backward - the ridge with splines must point toward transmission. This problem is discussed in same thread above - in fact the whole thread was started by someone having a problem like yours.
Patric likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #5 of 6 Old Jun 9th, 2015, 7:17 pm Thread Starter

Goddamn.... I hope the trans doesn't have to come off again. I'll strip the rear end off pull slave/rod and take a look down the hole. I'm pretty good with remembering how things go together... pretty ret*rded if I put pressure plate on backwards.

I got the clutch disc from beemerboneyard.com great guys. Also new synth engine/gear oil for trans/FD.
post #6 of 6 Old Jun 10th, 2015, 7:53 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

It is normal for the rod to be out much farther with a new clutch than it was when you pulled it out on the old clutch. In fact you have to compress the slave a tiny bit just to get the screws started. You did put it in the right way around? That could cause the issue but I would think you could not get the slave up far enough to even engage the screws. Also I hope you did put the ring spacer (no. 2 ) between the housing and the clutch spring. If not there will not be enough pressure to engage the clutch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ClutchSlave.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	82130   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ring.PNG
Views:	64
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	82138  
Patric likes this.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in